Thundercooperfalconbirds

otaco

Still Fresh
Website
www.otaco.de
After reading so much about the Pandora system I decided to cancel my current software projects for the gp2x and aim towards the new one.

My major project “Thundercooperfalconbirds” (which I announced a will ago in this forum) is a remake of the Amiga game Rocketz: It's a a kind of 2d race game where you fly with a little glider through caves trying to win the race and knock out your opponents with different kind of weapons. There is a prototype for the gp2x which runs very smoothly on my F200 (even with motion blur and parallax scrolling) on default clock speed, but if I add some more effects and objects, it will eventually become to slow. Besides that pandoras display resolution of 800x480 give me the possibility to add more details and the power of the machine will be enough to fill the whole screen with explosions if necessary. Here are some impressions, first a screenshot of the gp2x version and then some of the pandora ones:

race_race_01.jpg

gp2x version (320x240)

tcfb_01.jpg

the gp2x title screen

tcfb_screen_01.jpg

Pandora version (800x480)

tcfb_screen_02.jpg

Pandora version (800x480) with motion blur on full speed

track_test_01.jpg

The test level

gizmos.jpg

Test of a possible enemy KI finding its way though the cave

An here is at last a One frame of the title animation

Ideas for the game are welcome.

The difference of quality and ability is truly remarkable. And the title screen looks impressive already. :)

As for suggestions about the game itself, the description you have provided is very minimal (do you fly around a cave shooting enemies and then win?) so I am unable to provide any substantial ideas beyond multi-player capabilities. :p

It's actually a racing game. You have to fly a defined way through the cave to win the game. Before you enter the race you have to pimp your glider with weapons, shields and other addons like extra turbo, a extra big bomb to drop behind you on the track or a drone which will hunt your opponents. In the race you can use your weapons to knock out your opponents or slow them down.

On the track there will be extra platforms to land and refuel your shield and gas.

There will be possibly different game modes like race or deathmatch (without race).

If you have any suggestions please post them.

Here is a link to the Amiga (AGA) version with download possibility:
Rocetz Amiga

Does it have lots of eagle? ;-)

The screenshots look absolutely great, I look forward to seeing it in motion!

Glad you are still around, I was excited to see what you could achieve on the 2X when you posted those first few concept shots, etc.
Good to see that you will also target the Pandora :D
Also can't wait to play this!

That looks pretty good and that kinda game is right up my alley, hope to see it on either device.

Looks very nice. Good to see devs are already planning projects. Also cool to see how sharp games will look at 800x480.

Alex. said:
Does it have lots of eagle? ;-)
Of course! But there will be a luxury edition with so much more eagle...

(For all who don't get it: Futurama - S02E10 - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
Time: 1min, 50sec)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool stuff man. Developers like yourself will be what makes the Pandora succeed. It's been shown console generation after console generation, it's not necessarily the hardware that makes a platform, but the games on the platform.

Good luck, and keep us updated on the progress.

It looks awesome, especially in the resolution of the Pandora. Makes me want one even more.
I've added an article about your projects on my french Pandora news feed, hope you don't mind.

otaco said:
It's actually a racing game. You have to fly a defined way through the cave to win the game. Before you enter the race you have to pimp your glider with weapons, shields and other addons like extra turbo, a extra big bomb to drop behind you on the track or a drone which will hunt your opponents. In the race you can use your weapons to knock out your opponents or slow them down.
Could be a funny "Mario Kart in Space" indeed. :) Will there be opponents with individual characteristics (Biography including Pictures, skills, mood, etc...) to give the game more deep ? ^^

fusion_power said:
otaco said:
Could be a funny "Mario Kart in Space" indeed. :) Will there be opponents with individual characteristics (Biography including Pictures, skills, mood, etc...) to give the game more deep ? ^^

I'm actually a bit short on graphic artists. Is hard for me alone to create all this content by my own. But maybe I will make a first release with just a few tracks and ships and let you create your own ships, tracks and Player characters (may be with your own photo and skill selection like in a rpg game),.

It's actually very simple to create a track: Just ...

1. Create a black/white map for the cave
step_01.jpg

2. Color the image with a cool texture and make the background transparent
step_03.gif

All the meta data like the path of the track or start and finish could be configurable with xml files.

Here is an other idea of a map in which you fly out of the cave, in to the sky, around a flying object and back into the cave
step_04.gif

How about something like that ? :)

maptextured2yf3.png

Ok maybe not with this texture, but you got the idea.
At least this cool "logo" would be somewhere.

Mia said:
How about something like that ? :)

maptextured2yf3.png

Ok maybe not with this texture, but you got the idea.
At least this cool "logo" would be somewhere.

thats the spirit :D

But I forgot to mention that my level are 1280x920 and bigger...

Back