Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mithirildors Backstory

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Butterman

Gief Pandara
Website
Visit site
So, I opened up a discussion thread on these in general, it didn't go very well. But whatever. I'll just soldier on, even if nobody votes.

Now, some of these are quite long and it will take about 10 - 20 minutes to get through them all depending on your reading speed. If you don't have that time now, please don't vote, allocate yourself that time during this week and read them then vote. Thanks.

The poll will run until Sunday.

Also, we're still needing ideas for names.

dutch caps backstory

Technocracy

Despite massive protests, in 2050 the first commercial non-medical cyber enhancements became available. The rich could now have their senses, muscles and even their brains enhanced to superhuman levels.

The corporations that had first developed the cyborg enhancements for the military, jealously guarded their secrets. Whoever controlled the technology stood to make a lot of money. A new class of people emerged. While cyber enhancements became more affordable, it was still out of the poor man's reach. As the rich got stronger, smarter and richer, the divide between rich and poor widened.

Outraged by this social injustice, groups of scientists and gifted hackers got together to develop their own implants. Their cyber enhancements had to be open, affordable and available to anyone. Their early designs were awkward to use and required a lot of technical knowledge. After a few years their enhancements became usable to the average person, though. Moreover, they could be produced by the 3D printers that most households already owned.

While their cyber enhancements were still very much superior, the corporations were starting to feel the surging competition from open alternatives. To compete, they started giving away their implants. Those who took the deal soon found there was a catch, though. They were completely dependent on the corporations for support and maintenance of their cyber enhancements. Switching to open technologies was contractually prohibited and dangerous by design. Their bodies were now owned by the corporations, essentially making them servants, or worse: slaves.

This is when the war started. Radical factions of the open cyber enhancement movement started blowing up corporate buildings. They started liberating people, illegally replacing their commercial enhancements with open ones. The corporations pushed governments to use the terrorist scare to enact repressive measures. As the conflict deepened, anybody in the open cyber enhancement movement was in danger of being arrested and detained without trial.

Pretty soon all-out civil war erupted. In a desperate move to keep control, the government started to force people to be enhanced. At first there were rumours. Supposedly, strong opponents of implants were suddenly enhanced and happy about it. Of course most people didn't believe any of it, not until the mobile upgrade units started rolling in. Those who didn't flee lined up in the streets. Many looked terrified as they entered the giant machines, but all of them were overjoyed when they came out as cyborgs.

CODE

http://tincs.jottit.com/dutch_caps_backstory

OrR Backstory

In a not so distant future, a democratically elected but in reality totalitarian government has ruled over Europe for decades. However, what was once a shiny clean utopia under constant and nigh perfect surveillance, realized with advanced technology, has slowly been decaying in the last dozen or so years. The global economy has recently accelerated towards a meltdown. The European single-party-democracy is stable but opportunities for subversive activities are on the rise. The almost extinct underground movement is finally gaining a foothold again and picks up the long abandoned fight for freedom one more time. The freedom fighters have got expert hackers and scientists on their side but the old government has not lost it's teeth just yet...

The cities were originally an open and clean mixture of simple modern architecture with well preserved historical buildings still being present and beautifully embedded into the modern cityscape. Much of that remains but dirt and decay have claimed quite a few shady corners and lesser buildings. Old and modern buildings alike are suffering from insufficient care. Also, the underground freedom fighters have opened the previously well sealed entrances to sewers, abandoned underground parking lots and other places that were never meant to be seen again in order to uphold the illusion of a perfect utopia.

One of the game's two factions are the heavily armed governmental police forces which are equipped with somewhat more primitive but very powerful weaponry. They have almost exclusively been dealing with disobeying individuals for a long time. In theory, they are prepared for an all-out civil war but theory has to be put into practice...

The other are the freedom fighters, fast and good at hiding. They lack power but make up for it with advanced technology hacks that take advantage of all the resources they can get.

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/orr_backstory

GPSchnyders Backstory

After the third Collapse of the economy the United Nations of the World decided to cut down much of their Problems. Megacities were build, cut from the outworld. Most of the People were left outside to starve, only wealthy or brilliant People were allowed inside the Walls of the Cities. Some of the bright heads decided against being Part of the now Company driven Cities. They decided to not live secure behind Corporate Walls, feed and used by the Companies.

With their genius and the knowledge they had they started rotting groups of people together outside the Walls of the Megacities and started building small villages.

Inside the Walls more and more People tried to go against the Corporates. They lived in the Shadows of the rich Cities, fighting for their lives, doing the dirty Work for Corporate Leaders to finance their living. They spend money on Weapons, Upgrades and Technology.

The Villages outside the big walls got bigger and better build. Most technology could be redone without electricity at all, just powered by small steam packs. It din't take long and the Outside Villages had nearly the same technologic level as the lower Grades of the Megacities. But without being observed and commanded by Company leaders.

With a small revolution inside the Walls, with the help from the Outside villagers the lower grades broke the walls and opened them for a better living together. The Megacities got closed at a higher level where now only the wealthy ones live protected.

But the opening didn't just bring the freedom wanted. It also brought hate and fear against the new. Cyberpunks against Steampunks. Fighting for Pieces of the City.

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/gpschnyders_backstory

Retorts Backstory

HISTORY

50 years from now, the exponential growth of technology as we know it hits boiling point. Due to physical limits and lack of resources, advancements in science halt. Chaos breaks out. First, the internet reaches max capacity. Rapid information ceases. The Progression of the technological age dies, and with it, the systems that run modern society. Governments of the super continents disconnect from the rest of the world. The people revolt government and religion. Technology is rejected. All but the tools to survive.

Survivalism is the only thing left in chaos.
BACKGROUND

Once known as contemporary New York City, “Node Y” is untouched by renovation or repair. Due to built-up pollution, vegetation has failed to outgrow the city. Resources are still abundant in the city. Clans populate the area with blood and war. Most clans have scientific/military backgrounds, so they still labor in technological means to survive and live. In Node Y, the will to live is directly proportional to the motivation to kill.

The focus is on 2 big rival clans in Node Y.
Turla

Prior to chaos consuming Node Y, the Turla group was a military research group involved in the development of complex weapon advancements. Once the city went wild, the group went underground, yet continued their endeavors in weapon modification. Created by military scientist, the Turla approach to warfare is a strategic one. They rely on teamwork, accuracy thru weaponry and smart tactics.
NDS

The National Defense Sector was initially Node Y's primary chaos control force. Once higher powers fled the city, the citizen's turned on the NDS soliders. After heavy numbers were lost, NDS went underground. Through training and recruiting, NDS is now one of the toughest clans around. The have natural wargame instincts and brute-force at their disposal.

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/retorts_backstory

Jacks Backstory

CODE
In the distant, but not too distant future, man is under its biggest threat yet. It started, in a peaceful time, we had stopped fighting over petty oil and land. We've started working together to solve our problems, using the advance of technology. There hasn't be a war for over fifty years. Each individual nation has still kept its own defensive forces, but they're more ceremonial now.

It was long suspected that Titan, the moon of the planet Saturn, contained life. It had been known for centuries that water existed in some form on the planet. While our scientific expeditions had found nothing, we had good belief that closer towards the warm core some life would exist although it was most likely in the microscopic form. Titan was soon split up, proportionately to the size of the country that was to receive each slice. Deep-core mining, the mining of the precious minerals far bellow the surface, began. It is believed that one of these mines was the source of the virus and that it had been carried it back to Earth in a cargo transport, along with a consignment of iron.

The transport reached Earth in the year 2156. By 2158 only one fifth of the population of Earth remained.

Cities emptied, countries fell apart. From what was known, the biological make up of the virus was similar to that of viruses that have evolved on Earth. The virus reproduced and mutated rapidly, giving us no chance of fighting it at all. A very limited number of people are immune to the virus, about ten out of one hundred, these, along with people who have managed to avoid the infection are the only humans left on Earth.

Violence quickly erupted, as the survivors fought for food and necessities. Using whatever weapons had been left over, gangs formed to control and profit over the food market. These gangs turned into factions and after a year of bloodshed, only two factions remain.

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/jacks_backstory

Mithirildors Backstory

Its the year 2516, humanity should have been pretty advanced by now. But the problem is: It isn't, instead of worrying about the species in outer space, we worried about our own.
Let me explain you, we have to go back to the 18th century when Benjamin Franklin invented electricity, it was meant as something for everyone, but some greedy rich people bought it for their own.
They started building strong fortified cities, the locked all smart people in and the rest out, doomed to use only steam. After a while we were pretty advanced with steam, but they were far more advanced with electricity. People became angry and they started to rebel, they started to attack the cities. Ofcourse the governement of the cities started to attack back and so they world was doomed in a civil war.
To make it worse a robotic species from space arrived called the Zephyr, they had bad meanings and now humanity is reduced, everyone who was left moved into the cities, but they were almost destroyed , only debris was left. And the electricity is still only avaible for the rich.
We are going to die in war, all humanity if we dont peace each other soon.

About the world:

*Humanity is dieing.
*The cities are half destroyed
*A war between Steampunk and Cyberpunk is going on. *The alien Zephyr terror the world.

How the cities will look like:
http://www.sparth.com/images-selection/rag...-idsoftware.jpg

How the zephyr will kinda look like:
http://www.primotechnology.com/wp-content/.../11/me_geth.jpg

Sorry for the including 2 oversized pictures I had to to be able to explain my story.

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/mithrildor%27s_backstory

Last edited by a moderator:
Dutch caps backstory is very deep. It's the only one I haven't read until now. It's probably my favourite.

I'm sure the first one is the best...
And the third one is acceptable too.
I promise I read almost 4 stories out of 6.

Hard decision. I think dutch caps backstory is very nice.
Thus reminds me of Deus-Ex with regard to implants and would give the game a nice feature, especially for a multiplayer game.

I liked Jack's when I heard about Titan, but apparently the story still takes place on Earth? This disappointed me.

It looks like we're going to have implant-based gameplay. Let's just hope, that when we come to vote for the names, "Dystopia" dosen't win.

'lulzfish' said:
I liked Jack's when I heard about Titan, but apparently the story still takes place on Earth? This disappointed me.
Titan and Gliese 581d are the cooliest planets (well titan isnt really a planet) in the universe

'lulzfish' said:
TINCS: Titan Conflict,

expansion? :lol:

i really like dutch's story and i know its more or less a draft, but i think the corporations need some depth too...
so we dont fall into this stereotype of theenemy being bad because they eat babies and do all the evil stuff... they definitly need some charm and character ;)
since its an online shooter and you kind of dont want to always play the babyeating suckers ;)

'Sphinxter' said:
Can't put what the game is all about in a single sentence much less a single concise paragraph = fail.
You = fail. Would you have put a wall of text up, that nobody would read? If you took the time to pay attention, you would realize that I've put links up to larger versions under every backstory. Hurp durp.

This is simply the foundation. We're going to continue to expand upon it as a team.

I really like OrR's backstory, myself (I also thought that the other bits of that write-up, which aren't reproduced here, were cool, too), so my vote goes there. :p

It was so hard to choose. I see a common theme here, evolution of the human race as well as civil war. I went with Retort's though in the end. Such great choices to pick from. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these were used for mods of the engine.

Yeah, I've been surpised at the general quality of submissions. It looks like we've definetly got a winner. But I'm letting the voting continue until Saturday night, I know a lot of people probably don't browse during the week.

Back