Today Is A Great Day!(Hopefully)

wermy said:
No offense intended, but: Are you crazy?? :blink: It would drive me nuts not being in the first batch, and watching everyone enjoy their Pandoras for a few months before I got mine. A fight with a mod doesn't seem worth the anguish of watching others with a Pandora for a few months... :lol:
I'm a rather patient person and enjoy the ride :) I'll have much fun watching the first batch folks improving the OS while I wait. The second batch isn't that far away any more. The first parts should arrive in May and it wouldn't make a big difference whether I'm at 3999 or 4001 in the queue, I guess.
In all seriousness, though, hasn't it been all but confirmed that there will be other keyboard layouts later on down the line (assuming enough people want a particular layout, that is)? Why not put up with the less-than-ideal (for you) layout until that time comes? After all, the second batch will have the same layout...

Sorry to have such a reaction, but it just seems wrong for you NOT to be a first-batcher. :p
I've got the secret hope that it might be possible to get a second batch Pandora with proper umlauts keymat already built in. I didn't ask about it yet, though. The team is busy with the first batch and I don't want to bother them, yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
spaceballs3000 said:
Na-Noo said:
Unless I'm mistaken and I very well could be, don't you just need the documentation to prove that the device passes the requirements, which they do have.
If the FCC requests to see it, they can provide all the required details to satisfy them.
That's my understanding.

I've talked to a FCC certification guy on this, and yes your are mistaken, your thinking of devices that do not have intentional radiator in them.
Only if the intentional radiator isn't already certified, which MWeston long ago said he had the documentation to prove that it had been. I'm too lazy to look it up though, so might be missing something.
Oh Mali? :D

mali said:
I'm a rather patient person and enjoy the ride :) I'll have much fun watching the first batch folks improving the OS while I wait.

Fair enough. :) Although, I'd argue it would be even more fun actually trying out new versions of the OS, and helping with the bug-hunting. :)

mali said:
I've got the secret hope that it might be possible to get a second batch Pandora with proper umlauts keymat already built in. I didn't ask about it yet, though. The team is busy with the first batch and I don't want to bother them, yet.

That would be neat -- I know there are several people who wanted a different layout. Everything I've heard says that they need to order in batches of 1000, though, so I wonder if enough people will be in favor of whatever layout you want. Oh well, I hope it works out for you. :)

wermy said:
That would be neat -- I know there are several people who wanted a different layout. Everything I've heard says that they need to order in batches of 1000, though, so I wonder if enough people will be in favor of whatever layout you want. Oh well, I hope it works out for you. :)
The German market is pretty large, so it might warrant a different layout or we could try to get a combined layout for Scandinavia and Germany, maybe. The original layout was some kind of compromise, IIRC and I found it ok back then :)

mali said:
13 months ago: Keyboard layout riot -> Fight with MOD -> Cancellation in anger
It's a testament to my memory that I remember heavy handed debate on the topic of the keyboard layout, but don't remember anyone getting so worked up about it that the thought of canceling would come up.

WizardStan said:
It's a testament to my memory that I remember heavy handed debate on the topic of the keyboard layout, but don't remember anyone getting so worked up about it that the thought of canceling would come up.
The layout debate itself wasn't the reason. I took it too personally as it seemed that some people wanted to get rid of particularily German influence, threatening with cancellation if an Ä or something would be on their Pandora. In retrospective I think I misunderstood it. Whatever, I posted some more on the German boards and got in conflict with a MOD over there. You know my posting style and it was forbidden to post anything slightly off topic or irrelevant on the German boards back then, so I got even more worked up about that censorship as several of my posts got deleted. I had an argument with one of the MODs and finally gave up and cancelled my order.
It had a positive aspect though, the dissatisfaction with the moderation on the German boards increased rapidly afterwards and the rules were changed. Now it's pretty normal over there :)
socket said:
Maybe Cosurgi will start another keyboard poll soon. ;-)
Cosurgi is a cool dude. It's ok to fight for something someone finds important :)

diegor said:
spaceballs3000 said:
The answer is no, one is required to pay for additional fees to use the existing covered CE tests to get an FCC ID number/ID.

In short, the Pandora (with active 802.11) is technically illegal to be sold to the general public in the USA. That's under the assumption that the Pandora will have working WiFi, will not have an FCC ID, and be sold in the USA.

It's like jaywalking, people do it, but still illegal.

This one was already explained. Fcc certification require a final unit by law. So it can't be certificated till mass production is started.

It's not about mud, it's about reading ^^

craigix said:
Asmo said:
when was there an official FCC test?

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

craigix said:
We're told to expect photos and courier details tomorrow.

f5.gif

Attachments

• f5.gif
    f5.gif
    12 KB · Views: 92
@Jumpman: not sure how you translate..
craigix said:
...into...
jumpman said:
Alright, lets Rock & Roll! April 1st here we come!
...?

What are you expecting to happen on April 1st?

Well, I'm always hopeful and never optimistic. I see a couple of options here:

1. Cases were not picked up today, and they're not finished. Some more cases might be finished tomorrow, they'll send some new pictures of them when they come out and will give details of when the Courier is going to come.
  2. Cases were not picked up today, they'll be picked up tomorrow and we'll have pictures to prove it with details of something.
  3. Cases got picked up today and they got some lovely snaps of the factory workers posing with the couriers. They'll send those tomorrow because they're just too tired and excited tonight. And they'll send details of the couriers too! They were dreamy!
I'm guessing 1.

I mean yes, woo pictures and details and all. It's just that if one was waiting for a milestone on the way to April 1st starting production, this ain't it.

aliking said:
@Jumpman: not sure how you translate..
craigix said:
...into...
jumpman said:
Alright, lets Rock & Roll! April 1st here we come!
...?

What are you expecting to happen on April 1st?
Well I'm hoping assembly until told otherwise, or the next delay of course! ;)

Chris

Well, craigix has been told that they can expect stuff tomorrow ;)
Anything can happen to that

I really would like to travel to China and ask the guys from the Factory WHAT THEY ACTUALY DID THE LAST 6 MONTHS. :D
Then I would ask, why ohter (comparable) projects usualy only take 6-8 weeks for these kind of processes, they needed that long. Then I would ask why they even can't produce the requested quality while having such a long time to make things more than right.

I really would like to hear the poor excuses of the Factory Boss. :lol:

Back