Today Is A Great Day!(Hopefully)

Garrick said:
Ordered on day1 and have browsed these forums for what feels like an eternity and the delays are getting to me now I must confess. (to the point of actually signing up today)

As pointless as it is to ask, if production starts in April, when is a realistic timeframe for the last of the first batch to go out? Ok I doubt i'm the last, but i'm pretty sure i'm not the first. The amount of phone calls where i've been told various dates...

It seems so long ago that I walked into Barcleys and deposited a couple of hundred quid into someones account for something I had no idea would still not be in my posses

-The long suffering silent.
Trust me, you'd be surprised how high up the list you could be! I thought I was near the end also until I found out on Friday

Last edited by a moderator:
I only just found out that "OT" was I kept seeing here meant Off Topic, now I gotta go find out what QFT is..

Good set of views on this thread though, I'm not really business minded, but the thing about companies lying made me think of that bloke who owned Rattlers jewellry :D

I've not waited nowhere near as long as many of you veteran waiters here, but I'm with you, I can wait it out, it's a shame if someone who wants one has to cancel but as said some life situations change things for people.

To the devs and team, keep up the good work behind the scenes and in updating us.
ED, get some sleep man!.. you know what they say about a good nights sleep helps you think better and ideas can come [thinking the wifi issue]
We all in a same boat, waiting for this landmark device to come so we can rock our old fav gaming, keep faith, it will happen

yours patiently,
fZero

Ed you need to listen to some relaxing meditation music or some quality classical stuff rather than guitar bitches from hell. lol btw Ed I'd NEVER cancel my order and I'm pretty sure the main bulk of the pre-orders wouldn't either. Do I want my Pandora today "HELL YES" but come'on who wouldn't BUT I'm quite happy to wait however long this ride is gonna be knowing that my Princess Pandora will be at the finish line. Then I'll let you cut your hair :)

Fzero said:
I only just found out that "OT" was I kept seeing here meant Off Topic, now I gotta go find out what QFT is..
http://www.urbandictionary.com/ :)

@wermy

Quite F'ing True sounds _much_ better :D

mali said:
Fzero said:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/ :)

lol I had never looked up "QFT," and always thought it meant "Quite F'ing True." I guess it has the same meaning behind it... :lol:

mali said:
crade said:
lol, seriously? That is when speculation enters?
It's just about expectations. You are right that both thinking it won't affect the schedule and it will affect the schedule are speculation. I should have worded it differently. Keeping expectations low, in this case adding those days on top, is safer when you don't want to be disappointed ;)
I was being facetious (Just trying to fit in!) :) I am just new to this, but I am gathering this forum is no stranger to speculation!

mindlord said:
In short the quality and quantity of lies you can safely tell is inversely proportional to your potential client base.
Umm, wouldn't that just be proportional?
The more clients the more lies?

That's how I read your post.

ED,

I ordered on day one and have been patiently reading and waiting. I wanted to let you and the team know to chalk up another person to the group with no intentions of cancelling their order. Also, I don't care if wifi is not working yet when it ships. I don't care if the case isn't perfect. I don't care if I have to use a wifi usb stick. I just want my pandora as soon as possible so I can start playing with my new toy - so ship it soon the way there are now. (skip the non-existant jokes, haha!) I personally thought the prototypes looked awesome the way they are. When the pandoras start getting into the wild there will be a lot more people to help fix software problems. So don't fret. Don't stress out - it's not good for your blood pressure. I suspect a lot of people feel the same as I do. By the way, don't tell lies, white lies, or omit the truth. I much prefer open communication and the truth! I feel sorry for the customers of people that handle thier business by lying! I think most of us are mature enough to handle the truth. If not, what's your order number? HAHA!

Dixie Dawg!

I think I'll add my hat to the ring, on the side of the 'Goddammit-I've-waited-this-long-I'm-not-backing-down-now' crowd. Not a day passes without me thinking "I can't wait to get my hands on an actual pandora"

I'm by no means a day one preorderer, I had no idea of the project's existence until December of last year. But I scraped together $375 and got my ass on that preorder list. I could care less that I'm near the end of it, I could care even still less if we have to wait until hell freezes over, all I want is a Pandora. When is immaterial, wifi condition is no concern.

No way am I cancelling at this point; with the radical shift in the exchange rates of US & Australian currency, I'd be losing more than a quarter of the paid amount on the conversion alone! ;)

Besides which, there remains nothing like the Pandora on the market.

Yes, there are now other devices on the market with equivalent internal hardware.
(Well of course there are; it's an off-the-shelf SOC, and the big players were always going to get to market faster. If you ever imagined otherwise, you were deluding yourself.)

But there is nothing with its form factor and features.
Pocketable, game controls, keyboard, high-res touchscreen, hugely expandable storage, comprehensive connectivity.
I only want to carry one device in addition to my phone, and the Pandora has all the bases covered.

It's powerful enough to do everything I want it for. (If it was when I ordered, it must still be now.)
I honestly don't even expect there'll be much in the homebrew / open source gaming scene that will push the limits of its capabilities any time soon.
Were any of you really buying a Pandora just because it had bigger numbers on the spec sheet than other handhelds or phones?

The Pandora is a unique concept, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
Quite frankly, nobody else is crazy enough to try it :p

A question regarding the "not working" wifi:
Is it still essentially non-functional at this stage?
Or does it just have poor range / speed / reliability / all of the above?

My phone has wireless. It's pretty crappy (terrible range), but it gets the job done, so I don't really care.
If the Pandora has to ship with subpar wireless, so be it! It will probably be adequate for a lot of use cases.

Even if it doesn't work at all, that's still not a dealbreaker for me.
I can get a wireless dongle for $20. $30 if I want 11N!
Thanks to the USB port, that's an option that's available; and if I'm using wireless, it's unlikely I need the port for something else anyway.

Thanks for sticking with us (including the thousands of you who read but never post).

We're smashing our way though these final few hurdles (seems to be the only way though) and hope to have some fun next month building them and webcaming it.

It's been a long time, but for you guys the fun will only just be starting from April.

Just looking at the Pandora and thinking about the awesome stuff we will be able to do with it keeps me going. I'm so happy we went with what, at the time, looked like an insane design.

This-time-next-month. I hope at last that's going to be true.

craigix said:
It's been a long time, but for you guys the fun will only just be starting from April.
Only just? I've been having fun already. :p Thanks to you guys, I've been buying new(-to-me) titles and refining my game collection ever since I pre-ordered - there are so many gems that I'll get to experience for the first time on my Pandora, and I've had great fun tracking them down as it is.

Keep it up, almost there!

Alerino said:
the worst scenario would be Craig, ED et al losing hope, and this ain't happening.
They're basically beyond the point of no return at this point. Well beyond. For better or worse, these things will need to be finished if they have any chance of not having to declare bankruptcy.

I sure hope we can somewhat relive some stress off Ed and get him to have atleast a day off to help lighten the load on his shoulders. I think we'll all look back and laugh about it all when we have our pandoras, Just the thought brings a smile to my face. But dam I want this baby soooooo much. I can hardly wait to have a play and imagine all the sweet games/things we'll be able to do with it. This will surely make my laptop redundant :)

Back