Touchscreen Info.

Mr.Gonzo

*implode*
Website
www.myspace.com
Yeah i've bin talking with the creator of proteinDS ( great music making/DJing/Sampling software, Youtube it! )
And he his really interested in porting to the pandora , But he said that he was unsure about the touchscreen.
Will it be any better than the GP2X ?
Will it be similar to the Ds ?

I tried to find with the search engine , but nothing satisfying came out.

same screen as the archos 605, which means good quality. its resistive.

The Pandora touchscreen is resistive. Resistive touchscreens cannot do multitouch, but they can do simplistic pressure sensing. Resistive touchscreens use a stylus for input, which is included.

i believe its the same touchscreen used in some nokia internet tablets (n810 or something)

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
The Pandora touchscreen is resistive. Resistive touchscreens cannot do multitouch, but they can do simplistic pressure sensing. Resistive touchscreens use a stylus for input, which is included.

i believe its the same touchscreen used in some nokia internet tablets (n810 or something)
oh, thats it, why did i think it was archos 605.

Last edited by a moderator:
No dev has ever said the screen is the same as any tablet of the Nokia N series.
The screen is the same as the Archos (605, I guess).

CyruzDraxs said:
JerryG20 said:
CyruzDraxs said:
MWeston has stated himself that it is the same screen as is found in the 605 Wifi model of Archos PMPs. I have seen one in person and, to be honest, it's not really as impressive as CNET makes it out to be. It's about as sharp as the screen on my Cowon A3, but a little bit gray and blurry because of the touch layer over it. It's about the best a resistive touch screen is going to get though. Capacitive touchscreens on things like the iPhone/iPod Touch will look noticeably better, but are much more expensive to include in a product unless you intend on manufacturing it by the tens to hundreds of thousands.
Which sounds funny considering all the hype/praise the Pandora's LCD was given for being crystal clear & crisp and perfect for retro consoles. I was thinking it would be top-notch and up to par with the iPhone's awesome screen...

Don't get me wrong, it's a great screen and is sharper than the one in the iPhone, but it's just not quite as colorful. Also; the Cowon A3's screen is about the same or slightly better in the sharpness category and has much better color than the iPhone...it's not touchscreen though, so it doesn't have the resistive layer making it a bit gray and blurry.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
The Pandora touchscreen is resistive. Resistive touchscreens cannot do multitouch,
Um.

The Nokia N8x0 has a resistive touchscreen, and some boffin came up with an app that does multitouch. The app is called liqbase and it does lots of other stuff, there's a video on the site, but unfortunately the multitouch sim is not in it, you need to scroll down to read about it. Still, I have it installed and the multitouch works just like it should. I still don't like it, but theoretically at least, that's another notch on the iPhone (<spit!>) deathwish list.

PoisonedV said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:

oh, thats it, why did i think it was archos 605.

Because you were right
EDIT: Oh, nevermind, Chip linked the exact same post :p

I tried the archos 605 at one point and the touch sensitivity totally sucked when using fingers. But it worked.

I'd really like to see pandora have multitouch, or at least a custom zooming feature like the iPods.
I got an ipod touch 32gb 2G (for 250$ :D) and I really like the zooming feature, especially when surfing the web.

As for the screen of the pandora, as it is bigger than that of the ipod's with higher resolution, it would be too cool. Even on the touch, subtitles of videos are super clear and that is what I am mostly interested in.

So yea, custom zoom is a must in such small handhelds. Good for surfing, reading manga, ebooks, etc.

I guess that we have to make an underground layer if we want (and it's possible) to make patented multitouch features and such. :ph34r:

cbp said:
I tried the archos 605 at one point and the touch sensitivity totally sucked when using fingers. But it worked.
grow out your fingernails. trim your index finger so that it leads to a 2 mm point.

He's pleased to know that the touchscreen is good ( better than gp2x _
He said he already got a version of ProteinDS running for linux :) !
So now porting to the Pandora will be an easy thing !

Heres a better video of some of the features: YUMMY

im pretty excited now, seeing that it isn't just a generic tracker that could be better done through emulated amiga. its more of a freestyling tool, and not a looping/tracker or a mini-daw

also a cellular automaton/life like sequencer like glitchds for pandora would be awesome

wow, thx for the tons of replies saying I was wrong :p hehehe
I remember reading somewhere that the screens were the same kind as some 800*480 nokia internet tablets... oh well, it must be only me then :p

Protein[DS] looks really good, and I guess it's gonna feel pretty fine or even better on the Pandora :D
actually, many of the DS homebrew games and apps could do just fine on the Pandora, given the fact there are many inventive uses for the touchscreen :)
Maybe if someone who made a DS->Pandora port showed everyone how (easy) it is to make the code work on the Pandora, developers of more DS homebrews may be tempted to join!

Back