Transparent Shell Colours!

Kippykip

BFG 9000
Website
kippykip.com
Looking at the clear shells of the Pyra prototypes, it got me thinking on what if there were coloured versions. Like early PS1 Controllers.
playstation-2-clear-blue-controller-ps2-official-sony-dual-shock-2-transparent-4d98d0ab3fd2ff7e91001505101ea91c.jpg
item_XL_4609205_1164678.jpg
So I've made a bunch of coloured edits to see what it would roughly look like! (Excuse my dodgy paint.net skills).
pyra red.png
pyra green.png
pyra yellow.png
pyra cyan.png
pyra blue.png

Okay... yeah, now I get why a lot of people think clear cases look cheap and toy like. Cyan is not without its charm though.

I just want clear, personally.

Okay... yeah, now I get why a lot of people think clear cases look cheap and toy like. Cyan is not without its charm though.

I just want clear, personally.
Yeah despite it looking like a toy, I just miss that type of plastic, last time it was relevant was when they were still making PS2 controllers and coloured floppy disks.

Regardless of them looking toy-like, I think they all look pretty decent. I would prefer something like Nintendo's Extreme Green. Luckily we probably won't have to worry about this sort of decision at launch. If ED decides to offer something like this I think it will be plain ol' "prototype clear". I feel like he confirmed clear was happening, although it could have been in a dream or something.

It would be great if he announced our options so I can get started on the monumental task of choosing one. At least it will be easier with only two or three choices instead of all those that are in this thread.

Here's a trick from the DMG chip time scene for making a coloured clear DMG (brick game boy) you use the clear case and you paint the inside with candy paint. You want it to be opaque so what was commonly used was stuff used for painting lenses on cars.

You want the smoked black case? Just go to any store which has a cheesy auto department you'll find it.

Also with a clear case you put a design on the inside and not have to worry about it rubbing off. Saw this done with aftermarket DS lite cases.

Sadly j had the only DS lite whose hinge didn't freaking snap off :-|| so no modding for me.

Also you can dye a clear case with Rit dye and acetone. Just be careful it can melt the plastic.

I still want a glow in the dark polycarbonate Pyra. Not going to happen, but I can still dream.

Light leakage? No, that is case illumination charging.

Also you can dye a clear case with Rit dye and acetone. Just be careful it can melt the plastic.
Colors may not come out as you expect, black being terrible in my experience.

I still want a glow in the dark polycarbonate Pyra. Not going to happen, but I can still dream.

Light leakage? No, that is case illumination charging.
As we have been saying for a while, paint the inside of a clear one with GitD paint.

It's always a risk using dye. Black actually comes out a very deep purple. There used to be a forum with a section devoted to modding old game boys for chip tune. It went up due to embezzlement and fraud with the server, but still the stuff made there was pretty cool.

Still want a clear pyra... hope to see some led mods.

Oh God, the red and smoked black ones are GORGEOUS. I love those! Bit of a shame that the case colouring is a little limited because they're two colours I'm quite fond of, especially the smoked black one. Nice and subtle.

Back