TV Out Cable: Time to Mass produce! (2013-06-22)

The post in question was, indeed supposed to be a joke, and I certainly wouldn't have used those words were it not for their initial letters.
I appreciate that it may have been a poorly executed one, and apologise for any misunderstanding caused.

Nevertheless, I would like to clear up two points:
One, that neither I nor any other mod would ever ban someone without prior discussion, and that doing so would probably get us de-modded.
Two, that I do care about my reputation here and try to respond to criticism. You can address objections to me rather than cursing at the world in general - Hanlon's razor applies!

Thank you,

Binky

I think that your first sentence pretty much summed it up - it seemed a bit strange to me too, but I knew that you were stretching for a joke and some people might not have initially saw that.  Chalk it up to miscommunication.  I've found that you have a great sense of humor, and that you're pretty fair with your Moderation skills.  Sure, sometimes you find yourself with your pants down...butt that doesn't mean that you can't delete this very post...   :D

@blinky ... totally missed the acronym there, I'm sorry that 4 years of well contained rage and disappointment exploded in your face and I apologize to you and your mother as well.

I took it in a very personal way and felt I was being deliberately mocked and excluded from the geeky fun o_O

So, again, sorry.

(original post not edited because that's how I roll)

Now, now now...Yes, there is a lot of frustration with Craig and with communication and with a lot of things. It is also something that needs to be vented and discussed and so on. This is a constant with this forum. And something that is a constant is, per definition, not news, and as such does not have its proper place in the section for "Official Openpandora News" :)

I'll split this and move the (ir-)relevant postings to a new thread in the preorders section. If you want to continue the discussion (as you well might want), it is here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/13674-frustrated-by-the-av-cable-situation/

Last edited by a moderator:
let me attempt to get things back on track slightly with this question; given that the new awesome tv-out cable is of dongle style proportions, what other cable would i use to increase its usable length and connect it, say to my projector and be able to use my pandy from a comfortable distance?

You need to use an ordinary S-Video or (if composite) a regular phono cable, not an 'extension' version alone - extension cables have female connector one end, whereas ordinary S-Video or phono cables have male both ends.

See the image on the first page of this thread, the Pandora's AV cable terminates in female (sockets) so you just use an ordinary cable of either type (male, ie 'plugs' both ends) to connect with the display device.

An extension cable would be a lot longer, but you'd need a little gender converter on one end or an additional regular S-video/phono cable to complete the connection!

I really wish there was a way for me to pay for this now so I don't need to think about it.   Hurry up and take my money ED.

However I am guessing you just want to avoid a pre order nightmare again.

Maybe I'm confused, but wouldn't you want a long cable between the pandora and the "dongle"? Not between TV and dongle.

If the extension cable connects to the pandora you only need one cable, otherwise you'll need a separate cable for each type of TV you may encounter.

Maybe I'm confused, but wouldn't you want a long cable between the pandora and the "dongle"? Not between TV and dongle.

If the extension cable connects to the pandora you only need one cable, otherwise you'll need a separate cable for each type of TV you may encounter.
because of the type of connector at the Pandy... for your idea you would need a tinybob extension cable . ie with a socket at one end and a plug at the other..

I always voted for a loooooong cable, but seeing the number of connectors I changed my mind. You have an adapter to connect your Pandora to a TV with whatever long cable you need, and that's good. Try to roll up 6 cables of 3m length and it becomes obvious that this is overkill, especially since you usually only need 3 of them at a time.

because of the type of connector at the Pandy... for your idea you would need a tinybob extension cable . ie with a socket at one end and a plug at the other..
And why is that a problem?

I don't know anything about that connector.

And why is that a problem?

I don't know anything about that connector.
The connector on the Pandora isn't very common, rare even, so it would require another custom production run to extend the Pandora AV socket to an identical socket on the end of the cable, whereas standard phono & S-Video leads to attach to the end of the ('dongle') TV Out cable are standard and very cheaply/readily available locally or online.

Extending the proposed cable design to bring it closer to the TV is not much help anyway, as all the terminating ends are sockets (ie 'female') in effect giving you Video out & Audio in/out ports on the Pandora - they won't connect to the TV, you need to use an ordinary S-Video and /or phono lead to connect, as you would an ordinary VCR/DVD player etc.

Nice job ED. It will finally be nice to have the cable and see just was the Pandora screen will look like on a much bigger scale. Will there be an option or a new pnd that will allow the user to turn off the Pandora screen while the cable is being used? If I have the option set to turn off the Pandora screen when I close the lid, does this also include the output cable screen?

I've made my own Tv out cable a while ago.. closing the lid doesn't turn off the tv out.

what about those games that slow down or at least stutter the sound when you close the lid? like those zelda homebrew titles

Back