Twitterix Mould Photos

craigix said:
There is a very small tweak we want done, it's going to take 2-3 days. So it's no big deal.

While it's nice to have these small snippets of information. I do find it annoying that it is always a small tweak, we've been tweaking here and there on the case moulds since June/July, and then it was also just a small tweak only taking a couple of days. So all these small tweaks have become a BIG deal. Also a "small tweak we want done" doesn't really agree with what MWeston has said. Craigx seems to imply we want something tweaked while MWeston says it's a mess up their end?

It's late, I've had a drink or three at lunch to celebrate my last day of work until whenever I manage to find work again, so maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but cut me a little slack. But it would be nice to be told the same thing from everyone involved. If it's a fuck-up their end tell us and don't say we want something changed. Or vice-versa... :angry:

[edit] grammar. PS anyone need a chemist? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
haptagud said:
craigix said:
There is a very small tweak we want done, it's going to take 2-3 days. So it's no big deal.

While it's nice to have these small snippets of information. I do find it annoying that it is always a small tweak, we've been tweaking here and there on the case moulds since June/July, and then it was also just a small tweak only taking a couple of days. So all these small tweaks have become a BIG deal. Also a "small tweak we want done" doesn't really agree with what MWeston has said. Craigx seems to imply we want something tweaked while MWeston says it's a mess up their end?
Well of course they want the tweak done. They don't want faulty cases. :p But it's not like they're changing the case design again.

calc84maniac said:
Well of course they want the tweak done. They don't want faulty cases. :p But it's not like they're changing the case design again.

Agreed... Once they push the "go" button, they'll be stuck with 10,000 of these things -- it'd better be right!

wermy said:
Agreed... Once they push the "go" button, they'll be stuck with 10,000 of these things -- it'd better be right!
There's "right" and there's "perfect".
Perfect is unattainable: there will always be something better to be done. The question is how close to perfect do you need to get before it is "right"? Sometimes I wonder if they hadn't surpassed that point long ago, and are now spinning their wheels trying to get "perfect".
(That is, of course, the impatience talking. I'm sure they know just how right it needs to be to be right)

puppydee said:
Wonder how much the mould costs? bet they're a few quid. :)

I can remember (i dont have a source) that craig has say: "100.000,00$" and in the usa has the same cost 1.000.000,00$

WizardStan said:
There's "right" and there's "perfect".
Perfect is unattainable: there will always be something better to be done. The question is how close to perfect do you need to get before it is "right"? Sometimes I wonder if they hadn't surpassed that point long ago, and are now spinning their wheels trying to get "perfect".
(That is, of course, the impatience talking. I'm sure they know just how right it needs to be to be right)

That's a good point -- I hope they don't get caught up in that. At this point though, I'm inclined to believe they just want to get it out the door (also I doubt MWeston would have put up a countdown unless nothing but a completely unacceptable result from the molds would cause further delays). Of course it's all just speculation unless we hear it from them -- it could have been "good enough" already for all we know. :)

the tweaks mostly are becuase something doesnt fir properly, or its hard to make it fit (probably the PCB, display or the keymat).
(most large parts always need just a bit to fit right.)

and thinking from that, how do they always know they have to make a tweak?
(just out of curiosity)

did the samples arrive and they never told us? nor a single photo?
(or maybe they started shipping the first pandas silently to make all of us :eek:!)(just letting my imagination fly)

100% agree with you wizardstan ( lol ), pandora has been getting closer and closer to perfection, More ram, more nand flash, better boards, better keymats, better nubs, and much more software than in 2008.

Also i think people here will use this device for many years, i don't mind waiting if it goes this way.

@guizm
That wasn't his only point, it was also we may never get it if you want perfection as that's not achievable.
But then I suppose if we wait for 2012 we can get more memory,Cortex A9, a better case, OLED touchscreen, with in built projector.
And no I'm not complaining, just pointing it out

@No-Noo
Then we should all wait for 2012 for the pandora release ( just joking ) i know that wasn't his " only point ", but the way i see things now, pandora is the best device that can be build at the moment. Pandora now can't be better, because better would be something to emulate what pandora can't, like ps2.

Anyway let's hope for no more delays, i just look into openpandora.ca and they have erase the time left for show a first real pandora ( probably cause this moulds problems )... im so sad :(

Username said:
guizm said:
wizardstand
I must disagree with this so called "wizardstand" as I highly doubt that there is such a thing as standing wizards.
I do prefer to sit, anyway :p

@guizm
Yep, but should/hopefully be next week.
Been mentioned by craig and/or mw, so not the end of the world....

Yoyobuae said:
Hmmm, I guess that could be photo of the machining process. There's a hole in the copper mould exactly at the that position too.

So yeah, I was wrong on that part. :p
Yupp, the copper form seems to be the same as in the 1. Photo.
I really had trouble to puzzle this form into the Moulding process of the Case. Buf yes, This copper-form seems to be just the (not used) outside of the upper-Side of the base-Case. The Plastic is filled in the hole and the Shape of the Pandora-case top side is actualy inside. I think this part will be set onto the other Mould where the bottom side of the Top case (inside of the assembled case) is engraved, the part, where all the supportingstructures for the Gaming controls and the Keypad are.
I bet, the inside of this mould is not pure Copper and could look like the moulds in picture Nr. 2.

Back