Psus Have Landed

b1llygo4t said:
im in the us and i have abused the hell out of our standard and never had an issue, every prong i own is bent to shit and either doesnt want to go in or doesnt want to stay in but once you get em there they work very well

...that's what SHE said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few imports from the US and Japan, and I've never had a problem with the plugs (when run through a suitable step-down, of course!). You would have to be incredibly ham-fisted and violent to damage them, I suspect. :lol:

EDIT: Hah, ninja'd. :lol:

The benefit of 2-prong plugs is that you can stick them in right-side-up or upside-down. This doesn't matter if you're using a cable, but if you have anything like this, you can plug in two of them by turning one upside down:
genesis_1_ac_adapter.jpg

Esn said:
The benefit of 2-prong plugs is that you can stick them in right-side-up or upside-down. This doesn't matter if you're using a cable, but if you have anything like this, you can plug in two of them by turning one upside down:
genesis_1_ac_adapter.jpg

Agreed. Unfortunately many Canadian plugs don't work upside down with US sockets because one of the prongs is wider... not sure why they polarize connectors for AC application here. Can anyone from the states confirm to have seen this around too?

twent4 said:
Esn said:
genesis_1_ac_adapter.jpg

Agreed. Unfortunately many Canadian plugs don't work upside down with US sockets because one of the prongs is wider... not sure why they polarize connectors for AC application here. Can anyone from the states confirm to have seen this around too?
Yeah there's plenty of that here too but fortunately it's not on all cables.

twent4 said:

Yes we have polarized AC plugs. It's done so the hot and the neutral are the same in the appliance as in the wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Polarisation

twent4 said:
It's a safety measure. Even though it's AC current, you've still got one hot and one neutral line (and sometimes ground, which is different from neutral). Basically, it is safe to touch the neutral line, but not the hot line. The wide one is neutral.
It's especially useful for physically switched devices. It goes that if the switch is on the neutral side of the load, simply touching the switch will not be dangerous. If all switches are neutral, you should be relatively safe. However, if one switch is on the neutral side of the load, and another is on the hot side of the load, and you touch both switches, you complete a circuit and die. Or something like that. Maybe it's the other way around, I forget now.

edit: yeah, I was backwards. You want the switch on the hot side of the load, otherwise the load has a current going into it even when it's off. Dangerous business unscrewing a lightbulb that has a load on it. Touch it wrong and you ground yourself against 110 volts.

WizardStan said:
Dangerous business unscrewing a lightbulb that has a load on it. Touch it wrong and you ground yourself against 110 volts.
You particularly don't want to try to remove the base of a broken lightbulb while it's on. Trust me on this.
:wacko:

I've always wanted to see and this might be the place: as I've grown accustomed to the europlug, the UK plug looks huge to me. Does anybody here have a picture of a, say, 8-socket extension cord with UK plugs? It must be a monster :p. You can put europlugs in a very tight formation, so a minimum size with them for one would be something like 14cm/4cm/4cm. I'm not comparing prong sizes here :) just curious.

Also: yay for the first piece! :)

B-ZaR said:
I've always wanted to see and this might be the place: as I've grown accustomed to the europlug, the UK plug looks huge to me. Does anybody here have a picture of a, say, 8-socket extension cord with UK plugs? It must be a monster :p . You can put europlugs in a very tight formation, so a minimum size with them for one would be something like 14cm/4cm/4cm. I'm not comparing prong sizes here :) just curious.

Also: yay for the first piece! :)

The UK plug is huge because there is a fuse in the plug.

I believe it has something to do with cost savings when rebuilding their infrastructure after WWII.

So will my pandora come with a EU wall charger? Since i live in the netherlands? Or should i buy a uk-eu converter?

Also, do we know the adress of pandora assembly? I hope not...thiefs may be lurking. So please tighten security.

yeah, will there be any eu chargers shipped? Since a lot of people come from europe.

HTC99HDM104-00.jpg

Attachments

• HTC99HDM104-00.jpg
    HTC99HDM104-00.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 78
I believe BackAssward is correct on this (post#10). The PSU voltage is universal, and different mains leads will be supplied per region. You don't have to worry about additional converters or adapters.

There is one standard charger for all regions (110-240V), with a C7 (figure-8) cable to connect to the wall socket; just the cable needs to be changed for each region. We can infer from the boxes in the photo that they'll be shipping at least UK and USA style connector cables. Hopefully they'll also be shipping EU and AU style cables as well.

But if they don't, it would only be a couple of dollars for the correct cable, and you've almost certainly got 2 or 3 around the house already.

Yeah, they're very common. I'll be able to carry one lead around and use it for my Pandora, my iPhone and my camera charger. Good stuff.

Call me stupid (an open invitation I know) but should I have ordered a PSU in addition to the Pandora or does it come included?

Awakening said:
I didn't know that UK didn't support the regular europlug <_<

At least that's what I hope to find in my box :)

the first line of the page you linked to says:

The Europlug is a flat, two-pole domestic AC power plug that is generally supplied moulded on the end of an appliance's flex or a power cord, designed for voltages up to 250 V and currents up to 2.5 A.[1] It was designed such that it can safely be used in the domestic power sockets of all European countries, except for the BS 1363 system found in Britain, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Ireland and Malta.

We can probably shoehorn it into the safer earther connectors we have by dilligent use of a screwdriver, but we prefer to use a 3-pin plug.

I'm pretty sure Craig has said that they will supply PSUs that "will work" for their customers.

b1llygo4t said:
im in the us and i have abused the hell out of our standard and never had an issue, every prong i own is bent to shit and either doesnt want to go in or doesnt want to stay in but once you get em there they work very well

That sounds like a problem to me, but on the other hand I've never even HEARD of a UK plug with bent pins. We make 'em tough in Britain.

How many PSUs do they have, exactly?

Back