Craig Posts A New Pic

We have had the PSUs for ages, I just got paranoid and opened some up to make sure they were what the CE certificate was issued for. We have seen so many PSP chargers with fake CE certificates.

Even though these came from a UK company I could not sleep last night with a sudden panic that they might be fakes too.

Any of you with cheap 3rd party PSP chargers really need to make sure the CE is real - some of the Chinese chargers are unbelievably dangerous.

marshal said:
It's great that it is one of those power supply with a power cord socket :)
To be clear, we are presently speculating from the picture (and general knowledge and experience) that it is... please keep that in mind. Until someone with the one in their hands tells us for sure...

Edit: Craigix, since you seem to be around... is it the figure8 type cord Chip and I speculated?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
some of the Chinese chargers are unbelievably dangerous.

I remember a video on youtube that showed a PSP exploding from a generic charger from china...

Craig, many thanks for checking that the adapters are safe. There are an awful lot of folks who would just trust that they are on the basis of where they came from, and look into it no further than that.

And for anyone who cares to see, here's why I'm grateful for that;

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/acadapter.html
http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/yogis-fake-32gb-mp-player-from-kinhome88-ebay-fake-flash-memory-seller-charger-blows-up/

Prometheus said:
Craig, many thanks for checking that the adapters are safe. There are an awful lot of folks who would just trust that they are on the basis of where they came from, and look into it no further than that.
+1 and thanks for the links Prometheus, interesting reading.

Prometheus said:

+another 1

fusion_power said:
And how we will know if the PSUs are good quality just by disassembling and looking at the bare parts? It still could explode if you plug it in. :D

While you can't necessarily prove that an electronic poroduct is "good" just by looking at the circuit board, you can often tell that a bad one is bad - poor soldering, tracks cut and circuit rewired/repaired with patches, even corrosion. Nothing is foolproof, but a visual check is a lot nicer to have than not IMHO :)

I used a hammer first - it was glued shut.

I'm currently holding a Pandora at a silly angle and ramming the lid open and closed over and over beyond the final click to see how much force and brutality is needed to break the hinge.

craigix said:
I used a hammer first - it was glued shut.

I'm currently holding a Pandora at a silly angle and ramming the lid open and closed over and over beyond the final click to see how much force and brutality is needed to break the hinge.

Record yourself doing it imo. I want to see when it breaks.

craigix said:
Although stress testing (sometimes destructive testing) is a nessessity... I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt a shudder at the thought of intentionally breaking the Pandora.

Squidge said:
kaprikawn said:
They even look like PSP ones (well the end it yellow like the PSP ones). Have they just got the same ones Sony use?
SONY said:
EDIT: Can I also use my PSP (3000 model) charger?
Pretty much, and yes has already been stated. There are quotes available, but you'll have to find them yourself :)

Thanks, mate. :)

I know it has already stated many times before...It's just that I have 5 PSP chargers and wasn't too sure whether all PSP chargers were the same.
I couldn't be bothered to read the battery and charger info (voltage, ampage, etc.), lol. :D

EDIT: Batteries

1 x PSP (1000 model)

1 x PSP (2000 model)

2 x PSP (3000 model)

1 x PSPgo

Oh and yes these chargers have the figure 8 connector.

We might not always use these chargers, we might swap between various manufacturers as sometimes you have to for leadtimes.

Tnx Craig for all the nfo,

really i guess i can sleep more even now that the silkscreen and PSU seems to be unveiled.

craigix said:
We have had the PSUs for ages, I just got paranoid and opened some up to make sure they were what the CE certificate was issued for.

craigix said:
We might not always use these chargers, we might swap between various manufacturers as sometimes you have to for leadtimes.

Might one enquire how many PSUs you have? 4000, 6000, 10,000, 15? I'm just wondering where the possible change in PSUs might occur - within the first batch, between batches, that kind of thing.

We'll get a plug (uk/EU/us) according to which country our Pandoras are shipped to, right?

Plops, I was hoping for the usb plug style charger ala Iphone, ne'er mind. I wonder though, will a usb cable be included with our Pandoras? I suppose there isn't much need as we probably all have several hundred within arms reach already, just curious.

By the way craig, I know you've watched micromen and now you are going a bit insane :p So my question when are you going to make a small electric car?

craigix said:
Any of you with cheap 3rd party PSP chargers really need to make sure the CE is real - some of the Chinese chargers are unbelievably dangerous.

I'm glad that you take the time to do this. I've bought some cheap stuff from ebay including a charger for my laptop which caught fire and nearly burned down my apartment.

Back