UK - what magazines should we advertise in

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Went out and bought a pile of magazines today, Linux format, Linux user, Retrogamer, Custom PC etc. etc.

Which, if any, do you read, and which should we advertise in?

I subscribe to Retrogamer so +1 for that from me.

It's your target audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
RetroGamer, Linux Format - as you've already mentioned, as well as EDGE and GamesTM. I don't know about non-UK mags. There's also the Metro newspaper (given away free at UK stations) - http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/ They love games etc. (written by the guys that did Digitizer/whatever it was called afterwards on CeeFax). Anyone remember The Man (and his Chin) etc. etc.?

Why limit it to mags though? There are plenty of internet sites (eg C+VG) that might advertise or give editorial about the Pandora. Also the BBC likes tech and has a programme called Click. I mentioned this a long while back, so you might have contacted them already.

Yep, I was pretty sure retrogamer would be one of them, we used to advertise in that a lot with GBAX.

Why limit it to mags though? There are plenty of internet sites (eg C+VG) that might advertise or give editorial about the Pandora. Also the BBC likes tech and has a programme called Click. I mentioned this a long while back, so you might have contacted them already.

Oh we are looking at websites too - The BBC however are a nightmare to contact, they contact me from time to time and never follow it up.

How about sending Retro Gamer a unit so that they can do a feature but ensure you have an advert running in the same issue.

A totally different magazine and my personal favourite.

edge_logo.gif

http://www.edge-online.com/

Nah, send them a standard unit or even a 256MB one. They run all emulators fine, so it shouldn't affect their review, but that way they can write "and if you buy one now it will even have more horsepower than the model we tested, which is already great!", which is a nice extra.

I first saw, and subsequently purchased, a GP32 from GBAX in an advert in Retrogamer. Still got it :)

Those listed mags definitely and I also agree that Click/Click Online is a good one too, I watch that whenever I see it on the EPG

I'd say Linux user and Retrogamer above all else.

Linux User could bring in a lot of tinkerers and programmers which the Pandora community needs to keep it active.

Retrogamer because emulation is one of the things that the Pandora does best.

I don't read magazines but I hang out on forums a lot. Maybe contact a few and talk to the people there and see if you can get something out of it.

I regularly go on www.Overclock.net , I think some of the people there would be interested in the OP.

I would suggest Retro Gamer also except its been a while since i've picked it up as it became an expensive habit.

Maybe one of the Retro Remakes sites as well, Might get some decent games ported over (as the source is generally not available).

I'm a Mod over at OWVideogames (formerly RetroRemakes) http://www.retroremakes.com/ We've discussed the Pandora many times (including my Dino Defense WIP which was mentioned on the front news page). The site is no longer just about retro games, but anything Indie and the Pandora certainly fits that category. Commercial games and systems are also discussed.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to put up a press release there though - mention it to the site owner Robert (Bob) Fearon first though. :)

I'm not in the UK, so it may be different there. But...

Who reads printed magazines anymore? I've seen Linux print magazines in Airport book stores - always thought they were a bit of an Oxymoron item. Print magazines targeting a group of individuals who are severely plugged in and online? Huh?

The online versions of those, Wired, Engadget, ArsTechnica though - that's not a bad idea.

Or you could work through one of the plethora of targeted online banner companies (Google?) to have your banner pop anytime anyone using a Linux computer or a particular demographic or who has ever touched a Linux user/help/download page in the previous year, etc... In theory you should also be able to throttle this option and turn it off/on as soon as the order queue is full/open.

Maybe it's different for the emulation/handheldgaming crowd?

Print magazines targeting a group of individuals who are severely plugged in and online? Huh?
Not all of them are. There are a great many new Linux users of a slightly older demographic, who, from my observations, often prefer being able to refer to printed media that contains a lot of information in one volume when learning. The same goes for a number of younger ones, too. That's who some of these magazines are aimed at - for example, Linux Format, which Craig mentioned, does well out of this. That's their thing.

With Linux Format mentioned, I'm going to second what Trip said, here, and add that to the recommendations: Retro Gamer, Linux User, and Linux Format.

Back