USB port not working

mrcranky

Still Fresh
Seems that my USB port has an issue. I’ve had the Pandora for a few months and it has never worked. I just did a complete reflash of hotfix 5 to see if that would fix the issue, and it didn’t.

I tried several USB drives, one of which was labeled 2.0 and none of them show up on the Pandora. I then tried one, shut down, took out the battery for a few minutes, turned back on, and put the next drive in, and still no luck. Some of these are formatted as FAT32 and others are just FAT.

The odd thing is that when I plug my phone in (HTC Evo), it can charge off the Pandora, but I can’t mount it as USB device/storage on my Pandora. So this shows that there is some power coming from the USB port.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that the definitive test for the USB port is whether you can get your Pandora to see itself as a mass storage device. You'll need the relevant mini-USB to USB cable, and need to set the Pandora to USB Mass Storage mode, before plugging that cable into the USB port. This should confirm whether the port is working.

My understanding is that the definitive test for the USB port is whether you can get your Pandora to see itself as a mass storage device. You'll need the relevant mini-USB to USB cable, and need to set the Pandora to USB Mass Storage mode, before plugging that cable into the USB port. This should confirm whether the port is working.

That part has always worked fine! I can easily see the Pandora SD card on my laptop when I connect it to transfer files back & forth between my Pandora and my laptop.

The trick here is to connect the Pandora to *itself* in the same fashion - if it can't see itself as a mass storage device when you do this, there may be an issue with the port. ;)

The trick here is to connect the Pandora to *itself* in the same fashion - if it can't see itself as a mass storage device when you do this, there may be an issue with the port. ;)

Thanks for the clarification! I just did it, and right now it states that the "...is currently in Mass Storage Mode," just like it is when my pandora is hooked up to my laptop.

Am I supposed to see the SD card twice in the file system (one for the SD card in the pandora and another for the USB connection) or should I only see the usual SD card mounted as always - since that is what I see now?

Thanks!

If the SD card is put in mass storage mode, it is removed from the list of available drives. If you then plug the Pandora into itself, it should be recognized as an external device and will appear in the list again conveniently with the exact same name. Unplugging it will remove it again, and then shutting off mass storage mode will restore it as an SD card.

While the Pandora is plugged into itself, open a terminal and type "sudo lsusb". It may ask for a password, I can't remember; that'll just be the password you initially setup for your user. You should see something about a mass storage device, if it is working correctly. If you only see two lines that say something about "Root Hub" then there is a problem.

Try this "sudo lsusb" with other devices as well. To be safe, be sure to power down and restart the Pandora between tests: a bad USB device can crash the host controller and the only way to recover is to restart.

If the SD card is put in mass storage mode, it is removed from the list of available drives. If you then plug the Pandora into itself, it should be recognized as an external device and will appear in the list again conveniently with the exact same name. Unplugging it will remove it again, and then shutting off mass storage mode will restore it as an SD card.

While the Pandora is plugged into itself, open a terminal and type "sudo lsusb". It may ask for a password, I can't remember; that'll just be the password you initially setup for your user. You should see something about a mass storage device, if it is working correctly. If you only see two lines that say something about "Root Hub" then there is a problem.

Try this "sudo lsusb" with other devices as well. To be safe, be sure to power down and restart the Pandora between tests: a bad USB device can crash the host controller and the only way to recover is to restart.

Okay, I turned off & took the battery out of the Pandora, booted it up, and had Pandora connected to itself & an SD card in Mass Storage, I got

"Bus 001 Device 001 ....root hub" and the second line read "Bus 002 Device 001 ... root hub" after typing in "sudo lsusb."

When I plugged in a 2.0 USB drive (after another reboot), I got "Bus 001 Device 001: ..... root hub" and no second line.

So, I guess that means that my USB port is not working and that it is time for an RMA. Anything else I should try?

Thanks again Prometheus & Wizard Stan!

Reset the Pandora as before, put the SD card into mass storage, plug it into itself, and open up a terminal again and type "dmesg". This will display a list of notices. In particular you'll be looking for something near the bottom which says "attempting to mount device" or something like that. If you see "Unable to enumerate device" this is an error of the USB host crashing. It happens when you plug in a USB1.1 device, but if you're plugging in 2.0 devices and it still doesn't work then definitely an RMA is in order.

The one last thing I can possibly think of is to try a different USB cable. I've seen all kinds of USB problems on both the Pandora and regular desktops suddenly clear up with a new cable.

Reset the Pandora as before, put the SD card into mass storage, plug it into itself, and open up a terminal again and type "dmesg". This will display a list of notices. In particular you'll be looking for something near the bottom which says "attempting to mount device" or something like that. If you see "Unable to enumerate device" this is an error of the USB host crashing. It happens when you plug in a USB1.1 device, but if you're plugging in 2.0 devices and it still doesn't work then definitely an RMA is in order.

The one last thing I can possibly think of is to try a different USB cable. I've seen all kinds of USB problems on both the Pandora and regular desktops suddenly clear up with a new cable.

I can't find the lines that you are talking about, but my dmesg info is attached if you have the time to look at it.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• message.doc
    52.8 KB · Views: 219
RMA, i suppose
Yeah, there's no notice at all. No error, nothing. The USB port may as well not be connected at all.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the cable is broken, but I doubt that's the case.

RMA, i suppose
Yeah, there's no notice at all. No error, nothing. The USB port may as well not be connected at all.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the cable is broken, but I doubt that's the case.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting assistance. I really appreciate it. Looks like I'll do an RMA in a few weeks after I beat Oddworld.

ohoh... well heres me...

dmesg

and sudo lsusb only shows me...

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

while the pandora is connected to itself in mass storage, also cant mass storage into linux desktop, but on a related note, charging led does come one when i connect pandora to itself or desktop....although the led appears to shut off no more than 5 seconds later after being plugged into desktop, while it stays on if pandora is connected to itself, go figure

Reflashed to hotfix6 then once done connect a mini usb port from to pandora to pc then go to settings>sd mass storage get it connected and you should able to connect to pandora to pc,does this work.

Back