Vice 2.0 (25 Jul 2008) Released

Great Stuff! I´m enjoying Gnostic´s job a lot :) Thanks for your efforts ;)

foleyjo said:
DaveC said:
Anything that when you press the button it makes a sound right away. I tried Skramble. The shot sound, explosion etc lags behind.
Just tried Skramble and I didn't get any lag.

Are you using Fast or Realsid? I use fast.

Did you defiantly copy all the new vice files from the first link and the newest X64?. I know you probably have but when I first got the new version X64 didn't overwrite.

Ive not come across any sound lag. I have had slight pausing on a couple of games but thats solved by a higher clock rate

I downloaded the 2.0 version and then replaced the x64 with Gnostic's v6 one. I didn't install over anything from before as I used Frodo only. I usually run at the default clock speed as I thought it should be fine to emulate a 1 MHz 8-bit CPU system, maybe not?

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
I downloaded the 2.0 version and then replaced the x64 with Gnostic's v6 one. I didn't install over anything from before as I used Frodo only. I usually run at the default clock speed as I thought it should be fine to emulate a 1 MHz 8-bit CPU system, maybe not?
Try Barbarian chop off someones head and see if the head bounce sound goes with the head bouncing and see if the goblin laughs at the right time.

Hi, first message :p

Black screen!!! This version 2 dont work :(

I have tried all this patchs, but nothing works.

Thanks

josepzin said:
Hi, first message :p

Black screen!!! This version 2 dont work :(

I have tried all this patchs, but nothing works.

Thanks
replace the x64 with themost recent one

Hi, I have a f200 gp2x, I've installed vice2 with Gnostics version 6 x64 binary - however I can't get the TV out to work. I just get a black screen. The USB pads work great, but I have to play on the LCD screen :(

Also; still no USB keyboard support. It's great that people are working on such a great emulator again. Has anyone else got TV out working with this setup?

Cheers!

Any chance of an update on this emulator? I'd so love to use it on my TV again. I beginning to wonder if it's worth trying to compile it myself - I can see one B-I-G can of worms on the horizon!

Please someone give me some feedback?

Thanks

enabling tvout inside vice seems to be removed long ago.. i don't know why..
so i'd to add tv/lcd selection from vice's menu but i can't find my tvout cable :(

i'll test and post it asap :)

jimbob jones said:
Hi, I have a f200 gp2x, I've installed vice2 with Gnostics version 6 x64 binary - however I can't get the TV out to work. I just get a black screen. The USB pads work great, but I have to play on the LCD screen :(

Also; still no USB keyboard support. It's great that people are working on such a great emulator again. Has anyone else got TV out working with this setup?

Cheers!

Thanks Gnostic - your a legend! Can't wait to see it working again! I tried turning TV out on from the F200 settings area - and went to run VICE - it currently crashes. The older slower version (pre USB joystick) worked with TV out ok. But without USB controllers was limited to using direct TV cable i.e. no cradle. Also - any ideas about USB keyboards? Would this be a difficult mod to make? Cheers :)

found my BoB :)

this is just a test version to make sure that usb keyboard support works for everyone..
(this also means i've added usb keyboard support to minilib 0.c as well)

vice 2.0 x64 -7

* added usb keyboard support (NOTE THAT; not all keys are mapped)
* added tv/lcd output selection (i didn't test this, it may not work)

GnoStiC said:
* added usb keyboard support (NOTE THAT; not all keys are mapped)
* added tv/lcd output selection (i didn't test this, it may not work)
Thanks for the continued support GnoStic! You're doing a great job on one of my favorite emulators.
I will try my usb keyboard and report later this week (if nobody else beats me to it)

Hi Gnostic - I just ran some tests on my F200:

When x64 is opened in TV mode, it hangs completely.

When in LCD mode, it runs, but when pressing select for menu - the menu doesn't appear. It does seem to be working but just not actually on screen.

As for USB keyboard - no luck yet - no characters appear when pressing keys.

Any other test I can run, please let me know!

Cheers for your continued support!

try this; vice 2.0 x64 -7fixed

usb keyboard works fine with my f100+BoB.. i'll try with f200 later today..
can you pls test tv out from the menu? it should work but may need tweaking :}

jimbob jones said:
When in LCD mode, it runs, but when pressing select for menu - the menu doesn't appear. It does seem to be working but just not actually on screen.

Thanks Gnostic, I will test it later today and let you know some feedback - probably wont be till quite late though as I have a lot on tonight. Cheers :)

Hi Gnostic,

I would say that as the real C64 had no touch screen - to use it on emulator menus and on screen keyboard may be a nice bonus - but certainly not essential. I'm not sure it's worth making a touchscreen joystick as I'm not aware of any software ever written for the C64 that would benefit from that kind of interaction. What do you think? Software was more one button joystick or keyboard orientated.

jimbob jones said:
Hi Gnostic,

I would say that as the real C64 had no touch screen - to use it on emulator menus and on screen keyboard may be a nice bonus - but certainly not essential. I'm not sure it's worth making a touchscreen joystick as I'm not aware of any software ever written for the C64 that would benefit from that kind of interaction. What do you think? Software was more one button joystick or keyboard orientated.
i would have to disagree. one of the greta things about the c64 were the amazing amount of adventure and rpg games. most of these were pretty keyboard intensive and unless you have an integrated keyboard or touchscreen, virtually impossible to play. i would say that a keyboard for touchscreen would be THE best addition to the emu.. Just my two cents!

bodhee said:
jimbob jones said:
Hi Gnostic,

i would have to disagree. one of the greta things about the c64 were the amazing amount of adventure and rpg games. most of these were pretty keyboard intensive and unless you have an integrated keyboard or touchscreen, virtually impossible to play. i would say that a keyboard for touchscreen would be THE best addition to the emu.. Just my two cents!

I actually meant that using the touchscreen for the on screen keyboard or emulator menu would be a bonus, but other than that, you can't really add touch screen support other than maybe some kind of psuedo joystick but im not sure it would be terribly effective. I'm not aware the C64 ever had a mouse - it probably did but I've never seen a game that used one.

Hi Gnostic, I've checked the new version and have the following to report:

USB keyboard works horray :)

Menu is back again too!

Sadly, TV out does not. When I enable tvout in the menu, it does switch to the TV BUT ... I get half a picture - left hand side only and its jumpy and flickery!

Any thing you can do?

sure, i think i know what the problem is..
i'll fix the tvout and release a new version soon :)

jimbob jones said:
Hi Gnostic, I've checked the new version and have the following to report:

USB keyboard works horray :)

Menu is back again too!

Sadly, TV out does not. When I enable tvout in the menu, it does switch to the TV BUT ... I get half a picture - left hand side only and its jumpy and flickery!

Any thing you can do?

Back