We Are Still Doing The Boards+Population In The Usa, But It Looks Like

I can't believe that the ti factory would not want the work. Was a counter offer from the team talked about?
It sounds to me like ti just high balled the quote hoping for a sucker. A counter offer of whatever op had planned to spend I hope was at least talked about. That being said, if they can save money doin it themselves, why not do it? what's good for op is good for us.

It makes the first batch that much more special also, as I'm sure that after they have the surplus $$, they'd be subcontracting more and more of the assembly to a factory or just plain hiring more people to work at Craig's Town Hall factory thingy.

Pandoras handmade by the founders ftw!

+1 for a signature, a card, a stamp or something from the assembler. but I guess that would be all of them in an assembly line setup, wouldn't it? :p

ok, better idea: include a signed picture of the team standing behind the assembly line loaded with parts!

btw I'm loving the webcam idea!

(edit) sorry, posting from my phone always messes up the separations and spaces I put in my posts.

fiori_musicali said:
Let's get ready for this. Now is the time.

Somebody needs to logisticize stuff like trucks for transporting the parts to Craig's garage assembly line and arranging flight tickets and configuring EvilDragon's alarm clock. I mean, somebody with a knack for it. The actual trip to UK to assemble the Pandoras will develop into a Guy Ritchie movie plot where everything is so complex and intertwined that the Pandoras are only likely to disassemble even further, or the completed units end up in the van of some slick criminal who's never heard from again. With forgiving music in the background. EvilDragon's luggage is certain to get lost in transit, probably accidentally sent to Bermuda or Atlantis, and his passport gets stolen. The OP team could go for a drinking spree and play some Mario Kart that turns into a fight, in the end Craig proceeds to collect everyone's order number. EvilDragon ends up as a hobo in a foreign country. Powered by Craig's optimism, estimates are pushed forward the standard quantity.

I mean... It's just assembly. Right? What could possibly go wrong?

It's going to be absolutely sensational!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it doesn't turn into another big delay. It's a good enough reason to cause a delay. :pandora2ut4: :(

The question in my mind, if this is the case (no pun intended), is how much time will be spent (over how long) building the final products. Sure, this is a project done in the Team's spare time, and I commend how far it's gotten with that. The same thing for all the devs and their great work on the OS/etc. But it's time spent after work, outside of family, sleep, and whatever else they've got going on. What's a realistic number of hours a day they can spend building these, if they do it all themselves, even in an assembly line? Because I doubt it can be done in an all out weekend (or two), and if there's only a couple of hours or so each day during the work-week (not to mention getting everyone to coordinate times, etc.) it will take ages to complete assembly, not to mention boxing, addressing, and double-checking accessories, all before shipping.

Yes, I respect the work going into this, as a project of love, outside of a day job. But that still doesn't shed any light on my question.

fiori_musicali said:
Let's get ready for this. Now is the time.

Somebody needs to logisticize stuff like trucks for transporting the parts to Craig's garage assembly line and arranging flight tickets and configuring EvilDragon's alarm clock. I mean, somebody with a knack for it. The actual trip to UK to assemble the Pandoras will develop into a Guy Ritchie movie plot where everything is so complex and intertwined that the Pandoras are only likely to disassemble even further, or the completed units end up in the van of some slick criminal who's never heard from again. With forgiving music in the background. EvilDragon's luggage is certain to get lost in transit, probably accidentally sent to Bermuda or Atlantis, and his passport gets stolen. The OP team could go for a drinking spree and play some Mario Kart that turns into a fight, in the end Craig proceeds to collect everyone's order number. EvilDragon ends up as a hobo in a foreign country. Powered by Craig's optimism, estimates are pushed forward the standard quantity.

I mean... It's just assembly. Right? What could possibly go wrong?
You got any more of that? Cause I could use a bit. Floral music

Peace & dried dank flowers,

Link

benji_stein said:
The question in my mind, if this is the case (no pun intended), is how much time will be spent (over how long) building the final products. Sure, this is a project done in the Team's spare time, and I commend how far it's gotten with that. The same thing for all the devs and their great work on the OS/etc. But it's time spent after work, outside of family, sleep, and whatever else they've got going on. What's a realistic number of hours a day they can spend building these, if they do it all themselves, even in an assembly line? Because I doubt it can be done in an all out weekend (or two), and if there's only a couple of hours or so each day during the work-week (not to mention getting everyone to coordinate times, etc.) it will take ages to complete assembly, not to mention boxing, addressing, and double-checking accessories, all before shipping.

Yes, I respect the work going into this, as a project of love, outside of a day job. But that still doesn't shed any light on my question.
Somehow I don't think Michael (MW), Michael (ED) and Fatih will be popping in to do this after work each day. :p They all have to take international flights to get there. I think they'll be taking leave from work and assembling full time.

EvilDragon said:
It's just the ASSEMBLY taking place in UK. So basically, all parts are shipped to UK (populated boards, cases) and we'll assemble there.
We'll create a production line as planned so everyone does the same thing over and over again. After a while, things'll get really fast.
Michael did send Craig a shopping list so we can make sure we got everything we need (ESD, etc.) to properly build them.

This has basically two reasons:
One is more control over it, as Craig said above (i.e. we don't have to wait until 1000 units are finished, they can be shipped right away when they are built) and the other reason is the costs.
The company does want an incredible high amount (about 100USD per unit, AFAIR) just for assembling.
That would be a whopping 400.000 USD!

So for those two reasons, we all meet up and build your Pandoras. Yep, you read right, Craig, Fatih, Michael and me and probably other helpers too are assembling them.
Maybe we'll set up a webcam so you can watch us :)

out of all the news i have read as of late i find this to be the most exciting. not only are we getting a one of a kind gadget, they will be hand crafted by the inventors of the product. how could this be a bad thing? even if it does end up taking a bit longer (witch i doubt it will) WHO CARES! we have waited this long and now we will be receiving hand built units. it doesnt matter how much you pay a big company they will never care about the product they are building as much as Craig, Fatih, Michael, ED and Co. care about the pandora. Satoru Iwata didn't build my Wii, Bill Gates didn't build my Xbox, but Craig built my Pandora. that is pretty cool.

Ps. i would totally watch that :) i think we all would.

sryidc said:
EvilDragon said:
It's just the ASSEMBLY taking place in UK. So basically, all parts are shipped to UK (populated boards, cases) and we'll assemble there.
We'll create a production line as planned so everyone does the same thing over and over again. After a while, things'll get really fast.
Michael did send Craig a shopping list so we can make sure we got everything we need (ESD, etc.) to properly build them.

This has basically two reasons:
One is more control over it, as Craig said above (i.e. we don't have to wait until 1000 units are finished, they can be shipped right away when they are built) and the other reason is the costs.
The company does want an incredible high amount (about 100USD per unit, AFAIR) just for assembling.
That would be a whopping 400.000 USD!

So for those two reasons, we all meet up and build your Pandoras. Yep, you read right, Craig, Fatih, Michael and me and probably other helpers too are assembling them.
Maybe we'll set up a webcam so you can watch us :)

out of all the news i have read as of late i find this to be the most exciting. not only are we getting a one of a kind gadget, they will be hand crafted by the inventors of the product. how could this be a bad thing? even if it does end up taking a bit longer (witch i doubt it will) WHO CARES! we have waited this long and now we will be receiving hand built units. it doesnt matter how much you pay a big company they will never care about the product they are building as much as Craig, Fatih, Michael, ED and Co. care about the pandora. Satoru Iwata didn't build my Wii, Bill Gates didn't build my Xbox, but Craig built my Pandora. that is pretty cool.

Ps. i would totally watch that :) i think we all would.
Well put! Here here, I will drink to this because while we discuss this, China (fingers crossed) are starting on the production cases. Its time to celebrate, but lets not delay 6 months for silk please. I can't see that happening if international flights are being booked and the DevTeam etc gather.

Tell Murphy to go the hell home.

Link

EvilDragon said:
Poem58 said:
You sent all your materials to the facility for assembly BEFORE you even had an official arrangement for assembly? It was just assumed that all would be affordable? Sorry but that sounds a bit ridiculous. Why would you send all the parts there and assume a contract with no agreement? That would be like sending your car in for service and just assuming you wouldn't be charged an arm or a leg. That was VERY risky. Where are the parts. Do you have them back already? Are there any other assumed arrangements?

Eh? You didn't read the whole thread (or even title), did you?
They will populate the boards and therefore need the parts ;)
I thought *all* the boards were already populated and were just sitting in a factory in Texas (waiting for the cases to arrive)?

I heard they were not populated yet as it could cause problems leaving many thousands of boards sitting stagnant waiting.

Are they 'populating' the boards now? They should complete them ASAP as to not delay any further. It does seem as though it's not planned well.

"Winging it" seems appropriate.

If I knew I was going to take production to a different country, I would have EVERYTHING there ASAP awaiting the god dammed cases (Yep - a sore point for many of us. Not an attack or anything. Just venting)!

As for this case shit! You think they would have had them (or at least SOME) made by now.

I HATE THIS CASE BUSINESS! Why not just make them and get OP off their back's for a while!

!!!!

Mjlink said:
Well put! Here here, I will drink to this because while we discuss this, China (fingers crossed) are starting on the production cases. Its time to celebrate, but lets not delay 6 months for silk please. I can't see that happening if international flights are being booked and the DevTeam etc gather.

Tell Murphy to go the hell home.

Link

Keedspills.jpg

Attachments

• Keedspills.jpg
    Keedspills.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 87
Please sign somewhere on the inside of the case! Please!

It would be sooooo cool to have a Pandora signed by the person that assembled it.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/391

elinscheid said:
Please sign somewhere on the inside of the case! Please!

It would be sooooo cool to have a Pandora signed by the person that assembled it.
^this^

It's a shame that Craig's up in the north where as I'm aaaaaaalllllllll the way down south, because I would gladly offer a week of my time to help out. I have fixed many a console in my time (and made a half decent amount of money doing so :p)
And It's not so much to get to play with the pandora a week before everyone else, but getting to spend a week chatting with a bunch of equally open-source, homebrew, retro gaming geeks like me.

Back