What About Open2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pcklee123 posted on Mar 20 2007 at 12:10 PM said:
Will the xserver be compatible with TVout? The current one only works at 320x240, Is it possible to use kdrive-sdl instead of kdrive-fbdev?
Also, normal TV-OUT should work at NTCS game mode (320x240), not as set by GPH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie posted on Mar 20 2007 at 02:24 PM said:
Look, please stop whining. You aren't going to get your own way by keep repeating yourself. I have made the decision to use GP2XMB and for now, it stands. You will be able to use GMenu2x too - where is the problem?
Exactly! :eek:
Looking forward to the release.

Hurray for GP2XMB :D
Gmenu has proven its qualities, now we have to give a try at GP2XMB
As long as it is easy to install GMenu...
Having multiple solutions have always been the best solution ;)

And about a release... we are all curious : do you have a planning? :rolleyes:

The only thing I regret on GP2XMB is the white screen when launching a game : it sure looks cool, but it's too long!
[DaveC] And it makes me waste 5 seconds before launching my game!! [/DaveC]

Sounds excellent! i would prefer Gmenu, but yeah, i dont like the sony aspect, but if its changeable, i wont mind..... also what other functions are being added, like different from the default firmware? like new apps or anything?

reiboul posted on Mar 20 2007 at 04:11 PM said:
The only thing I regret on GP2XMB is the white screen when launching a game : it sure looks cool, but it's too long!

You can deactivate it on the options ;)

reiboul posted on Mar 20 2007 at 03:11 PM said:
And about a release... we are all curious : do you have a planning? :rolleyes:

You can actually disable that screen in at least the SVN version of GP2XMB, not sure about the last release.
Like I said in the large post, it'll be sent out to a few people who any day now so they can have a play around with it, then a release will come later. Not sure how much later yet, it could be a week, could be a month (I don't think it'll be longer than that).

Goemon4: read through the second half of the large post.

I'm curious to know what you did about any of the binary modules and stuff that is in the official firmware. I'm not sure how much of that sort of thing there is, if any, but I'm wondering how you worked around such issues or if you even encountered them at all.

Orkie posted on Mar 20 2007 at 02:24 PM said:
Look, please stop whining. You aren't going to get your own way by keep repeating yourself. I have made the decision to use GP2XMB and for now, it stands. You will be able to use GMenu2x too - where is the problem?

Will it be able to automatically launch into Gmenu2X without loading part of XMB first? That would be faster.

Also I am not too sure how Sony would like their "prized" interface being cloned on the GP2X. Could that bring legal issues?

Yes, that's what the script I said I'd write would do - it'd replace GP2XMB from the boot procedure :)

I doubt it would pose a problem with Sony, it doesn't use any of their code and the GP2X is too small to cause any kind of confusion.

Orkie posted on Mar 20 2007 at 05:23 PM said:
I doubt it would pose a problem with Sony, it doesn't use any of their code and the GP2X is too small to cause any kind of confusion.

Look and feel? Wasn't there something like that between Mac, windows etc? Be careful.

(I still think is is blasphemy having a PSP interface on the GP2X, it is like running Windows on a Mac, at least it can be changed :) )

Ravnos posted on Mar 20 2007 at 05:10 PM said:
I'm curious to know what you did about any of the binary modules and stuff that is in the official firmware. I'm not sure how much of that sort of thing there is, if any, but I'm wondering how you worked around such issues or if you even encountered them at all.

I guess that is a topic for another thread but yes. We do have problems around the binary lumps for the 940 and a few closed odds and sods (compatibility mode springs to mind with distributing the GPH menu etc.).

Think "Win32 codecs on Linux" to give you an idea of how we plan to get around it.

As you of course have a GP2X we will provide a script to rip and package what is needed from the existing GPH 2.1.1 image and then pack it all up so you can just run the installer to restore it into the correct spots for Open2x.

If people then choose to distribute those 'codec packs' or 'compatibility packs' outside of the Open2x project well it is not our problem is it ;). We will not be including non OSS software in the base image (well that is the current view) but will make it as easy as possible to work around this.

Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who's been working on this project, it's something the gp2x sorely needed!

I'd also like to add my support for using the GP2XMB menu as the default (with the option of using Gmenu2X if preferred). I've tried using Gmenu2X a few times, but in the end I always go back to the default menu. It just seems a bit cluttered and unwieldy for the average user. It's like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut; I just want to launch a program, I don't need to tweak every possible variable that it might have. The contents of my SD card change far too often to warrant spending ages setting up loads of scripts and screenshots etc.

I've also used the latest release of GP2XMB and thought it was excellent; perfect for someone like me who just wants something fast and intuitive, and likes a bit of eye candy too. :)

So thanks again guys, I'll be keeping an eye out for the upcoming release! :D

xythen posted on Mar 20 2007 at 06:08 PM said:
I've tried using Gmenu2X a few times, but in the end I always go back to the default menu. It just seems a bit cluttered and unwieldy for the average user. It's like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut; I just want to launch a program, I don't need to tweak every possible variable that it might have. The contents of my SD card change far too often to warrant spending ages setting up loads of scripts and screenshots etc.

You don't need to tweak each variable for Gmenu2X. You don't need to set screenshots or do scripts either. I have never messed with all of that. You just use the menu to "add link" browse to the directory and press a button then it adds it. That is pretty simple. The end result is that you can launch stuff quicker as you don't have to scroll through 50 icons one at a time.

And the option to change it to use gmenu2x as the default interface will suit you fine.

I downloaded and tried gp2xmb last night and for the first time user, it would be very intuitive and easy to use. For the power users like yourself, you would only have to see it once at most before you switch to gmenu2x.

Open2X's decision to use gp2xmb as the default interface definitely has a lot of merit.

i disagree with the default use of gp2xmb but im not gonna whine about it and it isn't a big deal since they will make it easy to use gmenu2x. personally i do think gmenu would be better since it has been around longer has way more options to customize things and really seems to be a community favorite. nothing against gp2xmb but its newer not as advanced and mainly aims to clone the psp interface making it less desireable for most of the community who have been around.

thats not a big issue however and i just am really excited about the fact that this is going on and what it could mean for the future of the gp2x once we have a totally custom firmware with which we can base future hacks and additions on. so thanks to all involved with open2x and i completely support and appreciate what you are doing even though i respectfully disagree about your choice of default menu.

i may disagree about that but it is very small compared to the big picture of open2x and that with this firmware we will have even more control on what we want our gp2xs to do and how we do them.

I would say the default choice of GP2XMB is perfect, it probably appeals the most to new users who don't want to bother with changing the menu. The more experienced users who already prefer Gmenu shouldn't have much trouble switching because of their greater experience.

About sleep mode : how would it be implemented? a key-combo? or handled by softwares? (for example, a sleep option in menues, and in GP2XMB) It's a good idea for a 10mn pause, but unfortunately it won't be as practice as seen on the PSP (because it would still be switched on)
Or would it be possible to save ram into memory, shut the gp2x down (i mean, totally) and then on reboot, have the handleld in the same state by loading the RAM image?
(Writing 64mo on the card will certainly make DaveC agressive but he, whatever :ph34r: It sure would be as slow as a clean bootup)
I think what a PC do is, shut the PC off, but let only a small voltage remains, for the ram to keep its data

That would only be bonus, though ;)

Most sleep modes just cut off non-critical systems (screen, wifi, backlight, etc) and just leave the ram charged to keep the state of operation. The DS also does this I believe. There would be no benefit in dumping the contents of RAM to SD card... short of it means the GP2X could switch EVERYTHING off to save power.

Maybe a 2-stage sleep mode could be employed... so normally it an just switch off the screen and idle, keeping the RAM charged. Then if it seems that it has been idling in sleep mode for an extended duration (or maybe if the batteries are getting quite low) it can dump the RAM and power off.

DJWillis posted on Mar 20 2007 at 06:51 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Mar 20 2007 at 05:10 PM said:
Think "Win32 codecs on Linux" to give you an idea of how we plan to get around it.

Or rather think VLC ;-). Seriously, it would be totally sweet to have VLC on the GP2X. All the built in codecs and stuff, and the streaming, that's some pretty sweet stuff if you ask me.

A_SN posted on Mar 21 2007 at 01:48 PM said:
Or rather think VLC ;-). Seriously, it would be totally sweet to have VLC on the GP2X. All the built in codecs and stuff, and the streaming, that's some pretty sweet stuff if you ask me.

The problem is that some of it is x86 code so that rules out ARM ;). Also, VLC on ARM uses just the same libs as mplayer so you don't really gain so much in the ARM space over what we are working on now. Still, it is something to consider if people wanted to work on it.

Just to clarify on the "Win32 codecs on Linux" remark I was solely referring to the way various distributions unofficially package them up for end users rather then some magic to run x86 binary codecs on the GP2X ;).

Oh, off the video player topic, I got a progress bar kernel boot screen going :), I got 30 mins free and it has been on my TODO list for some time, looks like it may actually look quite nice when cleaned up (not quite there yet). Just need to add support to show the raw Linux boot info on the LCD if you hold a button on boot and tidy up the 'theme' support and I will be quite pleased with the ‘little hack’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back