What are you using your pandora for?

Yes yes snes, psx and N64 and older consoles obviously. 

But what are you using that might not be so popular?

I used my previous one for a ton of ScummVM and now I'm awaiting my new one to arrive I plan to use Baldurs Gate and Command and conquer. 

Any other rare pnd's or custom compiles that people are using that the majority might not be using. 

music

Web browsing

University work (Xournal can take notes directly on PDF)

Now with DisplayLink for presentations as well

Gaming

Learning new stuff about Linux

Simply for everything.

- web browsing via Firefox (Emails, Boards, ... etc.)

- instant messaging via Pidgin (ICQ)

- mp3 listening via Audacious

- x86 emulating via Qemu for Pandora (Comanche, Dungeon Keeper, Command and Conquer ... etc.)

- psx emulation via PSXrearmed r19 (Tomb Raider 1 - 4; Need for Speed 3 - 4; ... etc.)

- playing homebrew games (Microbes, Hex a Hop, ... etc.)

- playing stratagus (Warcraft 2)

- playing scummVM (Broken Sword)

Last edited by a moderator:
Streaming the current TV program from my Dreambox using SMPlayer2 and an extern WiFi stick into rooms i don't have a TV.

irc

quick not taking

music player/put-to-sleeper

alarm/waker-upper

entertainment in the bathroom/pooper-computer

I usually work at home these days (so not commuting as much as I used to); commuting is where mobiles really shine imho .. for me, if I'm home, I'm either working or on home PC or rolling around with kids ;)

But out and about, Pandora serves me as mp3 player (64GB storage on ym two SD cards) with Audacious, and general linux terminal; I don't have much free time anymore (sigh), so I generally use it doing experiments and coding, or a little gaming here or there..

Just now, I've got a dieing laptop at work; a fair pile of data has to be evacuated from it, and other external drives aren't suitable or available, and network is too slow to dump 60GB of stuff on right now .. so, Mass Storage mode on the pandora and dumping 60GB of crap onto it, in a pinch :eek:

jeff

The better question is what am I NOT using it for!!

No seriously, let me try to list this,,,,

Emulators

Gameboy/Gameboy Color

Playstation One

Intellivision

Coleco

Atari 2600

Atari 7800

MAME-EX

FBA

Nintendo SNES

Atari Lynx

TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine

PanMAME

Nintendo DS

Sega Genesis

Neo-Geo Pocket

Nintendo NES

Neo-Geo

GameBoy Advance

MAME4ALL

Compo4ALL

SEGA Game Gear

Sega Master System

Computer Emulators

MSX

Amiga

Commodore 64

Acorn

GINGE

TRS-80

Original Pandora Games/Remakes

Yahtzee

Tetris

Space Invaders

PacMan

Road Fighter

AquaVenture

Frootopia

Arkanoid

Cannonball (OutRun)

Defendguin

Digger (Windmill Software)

Bejeweled

Boggle

Chips Challenge

Legend of Zelda

Mastermind

Mine Sweeper

Mr. Driller

Peg Solitaire

Sim City

Game and Watch Simulators

Other Stuff

PandaBAS

Wikipedia

Vitals (currently unreleased app which tracks blood pressure and blood glucose levels for health-monitoring purposes - this will be released by programmer on completion)

Office Applications

ABook (address book)

Libre Office

QOrganizer

NoteCasePro

PortaBase

AbiWord

Gnumeric (spreadsheet)

SpeedCrunch (calculator)

ICD (custom-commissioned app which saves commonly used ICD-9 and ICD10 codes, used in my business)

CPT (custom-commissioned app which saves commonly used CPT codes, used in my business)

Firefox

ClawsMail

Entertainment

Audacious Music Player (and I have almost 2,000 songs on my dedicated Media SD Card in Slot 2)

VLC/SMPlayer2 - haven't decided which I want to use yet for videos, whichever I can make work with my TV-Out Cable...yes I have one.

And that is most of it, there are a few other things in there that I'm using and didn't mention, for example, PanDafe...which just puts several emulators accessible from one icon.

So I am getting a lot of use and versatility out of my Pandy...and I'm not even using Android, DOSBOX, or any other alternate OS, like QEmu.

Oh, and I am about to add EasyRPG, because I have a couple of RPGM2K I like and would like to play on Pandora!  and another game is being programmed for that by a friend of mine right now, I can help him beta-test it on my Pandy!

By the way, for all the use I am getting out of my Pandy...this is probably less than 10 percent of all it CAN do.

So if I hear one more person scream about the price....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back