"what Does This Mean?" - The Newcomers' Glossary

The fact that you correctly spelled "Hellollo" and mentioned that people often misspell it "Hellolo" is amazing. Thank you for noticing and caring about the distinction. I'm glad it's not just me.

Perhaps a note on (static/dynamic) recompiling as an emulation technique?

Something like...

Recompiling:
[Current info]
This can also refer to an emulation technique, where game code is converted (compiled) to native code. In this case, it will usually be in the context of "static recompiling" or "dynamic recompiling", which are two slightly different ways of doing this.

EDIT: Wouldn't this be better as a Wiki page?
Certainly having it in the forum is a good idea, but perhaps we should just have a wiki page and sync with it occasionally?

Aninhumer said:
Recompiling:
[Current info]
This can also refer to an emulation technique, where game code is converted (compiled) to native code. In this case, it will usually be in the context of "static recompiling" or "dynamic recompiling", which are two slightly different ways of doing this.
Isn't static recompiling like machine translation or AOT compilation ('static recompiling' isn't really a technical term, so it's up to the user to decide what it means)? If so, is there any software at all that uses this technique on the Pandora, and is it thus relevant to mention?

Just askin'

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
Aninhumer said:
Recompiling:
[Current info]
Isn't static recompiling like machine translation or AOT compilation ('static recompiling' isn't really a technical term, so it's up to the user to decide what it means)? If so, is there any software at all that uses this technique on the Pandora, and is it thus relevant to mention?

Just askin'
I don't think there are that many emulators that use static recompilation at all, but the term is certainly used often in discussions, so it's still worth explaining.
It's usually in the middle of a wall of Exophase technobabble though, so maybe not that useful. :p

@Mali - Thanks much. :)

The forum dialect section is lacking, so I'll think about the above suggestions - but on the other hand I certainly don't want to be unpleasant to anyone. :p (This is why the "What's your order number?" definition is as simplified as it is, and will stay that way - let those who were there recognise it, but there's no need to keep dredging it up for those who missed it. That's not fair on anyone who was involved. It's only there to explain why people keep saying it.)

Prometheus said:
Just making a quick post to say that I'm not ignoring the thread. I have the suggestions here and a PM or two to catch up on. :p

:p: A face with its tongue sticking out. Usually used to show jest or lightheartedness, but may also convey mild disapproval. See: every post Prometheus has ever made.

Exophase said:
Prometheus said:
Just making a quick post to say that I'm not ignoring the thread. I have the suggestions here and a PM or two to catch up on. :p

:p : A face with its tongue sticking out. Usually used to show jest or lightheartedness, but may also convey mild disapproval. See: every post Prometheus has ever made.
Har har. I have no idea where I picked up that habit, actually.

Prometheus said:
Har har. I have no idea where I picked up that habit, actually.

I think you wanted to use it in that post more than ever ;)

Prometheus said:
Yes, I did. :p
It's :p Amazing :p How :p Many :p Of :p These :p Prometheus :p Can :p Use :p In :p One :p Paragraph :p Or :p Sentence.

SONY said:

Needs more big.

2mrv713.gif

Clearly you agree since you withdrew yours. ;)

This is great Prometheus! You cleared up a lot of the Forum Meme's I had no idea where originated. I finally get "Whats your order number" and Hellollo. I do remember seeing that video now that I think about it. I thought nothing of it at the time though.

Back