What Is Going On ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris S

Still Fresh
Hello

I visited what is known as the official Pandora forum last night, not as a member just a quest, what on earth
is going on over there ?

Everybody is arguing with everybody else, Craig is calling people names, a person who has had
posts removed, and has been warned in the post over their behaviour is now a mod, people
leaving the forums, people cancelling orders and selling their Pandora's, does not bode well for
it's future.

Somebody I would think needs to get a grip over there as it all seems to be rapidly
falling apart.

I was thinking of joining it but after what I read and see over there, I will not be bothering.

You will likely only get the same people answering, so why not ask over there?

In all honesty, it seems like every forum / chat / support recepticle ive ever been on in the past 20 years since i started using "the 'net".

Nothing new really. I have been following this project for 3+ years, and every 5-6 months this happens. It happened over here several times, so to long time followers, it's the same old song and dance.

Information will be good and plentiful, and then the well goes dry for a few weeks(or a month), and guys loose their cool. I'm sure within a few days(or weeks), Ed will make a new blog post stating that CC is now on track again, and more boards are on the way, and then everything will be cool.......Until the next problem pops up, and this same thing happens again.

I'm sure this is why Craig just blows it off, and treats people like shit sometimes, as this has been going on for 3 years. It's just the ups and downs of this paticular project. I talk Jackie(one of Craig's staff members)on a regualr basis, and she always tells me how just when things are starting to run smoothly, something else derails the train. This last time was the wifi issue, so once this is sorted out, and CC begins to ship again, I'm sure in another 3-6 months it will be something else.

So what is going on.......Nothing Really, unless your new to this project, and then I guess it would seem like the world is coming to an end, but trust me when I say "It's Not"! ;)

Chris

don_t_panic_button-758852.jpg

If you look deeper you will discover that this is one of the best boards around.
A question, a problem it will always be answered. Not just standard replies but often direct answers and help from actual developers. Remember it were the people of this board that helped building this wonderful machine !

Boards constantly change with some users and behaviour.
Sometimes there is a massive amount of flaming at one board, then is moves to a different one, etc.

There will always be ups and downs, similar to life :)

It will calm down again, this board here also calmed down after having many people flaming here last year.

The main problem is that people had just calmed down about new users getting a unit before people who have been waiting 2+ years because they were told that it would speed up the progress. Now with the wifi problem, progress has slowed right down again and both the people who originally ordered and the people who have paid out extra for a premium unit are all having to wait.
You've got to expect some negative blow back from that :)

Not got a clue why Craig made Sony mod though or why he's causing agro on his own forum <_<

skeezix said:
Aggro.. Lol. Admit it, ou're an MMO player :)
:lol: NEVER!

I do have a couple of friends who have had to stop playing W.O.W due to it taking over their lives though. You can pick up a thing or two in conversation. I could probably teach you how to play the game without ever even trying it myself ;)

Hope your feeling better soon btw Jeff :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Popcorn Dave said:
Yeah, the atmosphere looks pretty bad there at the moment. It was quite nice seeing 3jane treat Craig's flaming with the respect it deserved, though.

Clearly the days of Craig's customers continuing to support OPT team after his verbal abusive posts are over.
Still have to give Craig his just dues. He is man of action. He brought life to an idea of a fresh new gaming handheld and a clever add-on control pad to life. He is a survivor.
However he really should stop provoking and challenging customers to cancel because they appear to being doing it.

I haven't seen what's happening with the other forums but I can see why Craig would be going a bit nuts. He had an idea which had the potential to be awesome. By now the Pandora should have sold the same 50,000+ units the GP2X achieved and we should be looking forward to the next generation.

It must be a very difficult pill to swallow, knowing that you came so close to excellence, but missed out because of 3rd party failings. I've been in a similar situation myself though in my case the concept was far from proven, however I had the belief and it was 3rd parties who let me down and finally I ran out of money.

Specs wise, the Pandora is far from cutting edge now. The wifi on my unit rarely connects to a network, and when it does it crawls. There's no built in SIM modem, so network use is pretty much out of the question. There is no multi tasking interface that is suited to the small screen. I've managed to hack one together but unfortunately most emulators dont support a 'windowed' mode, so I can't be playing Sonic while waiting for a contact to come on online. Most games and apps are straight desktop ports with scant regard for the screen size they're dealing with... Even with my glasses on having a conversation in pidgen is a strain. Media players with small buttons, web browsers with the standard built in file requestors which are far to big to be useful... the list goes on.

Then there's the fact that the device is just plain SLOW compared to what is out there these days. PSX emulation can't play ANY of the few Playstation games I like at a reasonable rate, even when overclosked. N64 Emulation is still glitchy and the Analogue nubs impossible to calibrate to any decent level of playability. And the Dreamcast emulator looks dead in the water.

So from being a device that I used pretty much every day, I tired of squinting at poorly designed UIs, and attempting to play games at slow speeds, and the Pandora was pretty much retired until my recent twelve hour flight. On this flight I used it to watch a couple of videos and play some sonic... something I previously would have been able to do quite happily with my Dingoo; and at a fraction of the cost. And I'd have been able to make use of the built in USB charging, something which all 3 of my Pandoras have previously been fussy about.

I've strayed off topic somewhat. Anyway I think every outburst Craig has is one more elucidation to the fact that the Pandora will never reach even close to it's potential.

That doesn't, however, explain why he acted like a jack**s even before the major problem occurred :p

DisgruntleElf: I'm not the first person to suggest it and I won't be the last, but I don't think Craig should post on the forums at all beyond status updates. I guess he has a right to defend himself but he has a bad habit of lashing out at criticism like the worst kind of fanboy. It's no wonder he made SONY a mod - the two of them have a lot in common!

But yes, you've got to respect the guy's sheer bloody-mindedness... it does take a certain something to keep a project like this going for nearly three years.

Pleng: Your post made me sad. :( Not sure what I can add, to be honest.

Pleng said:
PSX emulation can't play ANY of the few Playstation games I like at a reasonable rate, even when overclosked.
What are those games, out of interest?

Pleng said:
PSX emulation can't play ANY of the few Playstation games I like at a reasonable rate, even when overclosked.

You may have missed that there is a new PSemu out there called PCSXReARMed. The only game I found unplayable(apart from those who crash because of bugs(Team Buddies, Brave Fencer Musashi)) was Tobal No.1. Everything else I tried plays great, sometimes a little choppy, but still great as there are: FF7, FF9, Heart of Darkness, Tomba, Wipeout, Gran Tourismo, Colin McRae, Vagrant Story, RC Stunt Copter, Alundra, Ace Combat, Suikoden and Spyro.
PS is the best the pandora can offer to me atm. Thanks notaz!!!

Schnatterplatsch said:
Pleng said:

You may have missed that there is a new PSemu out there called PCSXReARMed. The only game I found unplayable(apart from those who crash because of bugs(Team Buddies, Brave Fencer Musashi)) was Tobal No.1. Everything else I tried plays great, sometimes a little choppy, but still great as there are: FF7, FF9, Heart of Darkness, Tomba, Wipeout, Gran Tourismo, Colin McRae, Vagrant Story, RC Stunt Copter, Alundra, Ace Combat, Suikoden and Spyro.
PS is the best the pandora can offer to me atm. Thanks notaz!!!

I will be receiving my Pandora in a few weeks. Just received confirmation from Jacq. Wonder if racing games like Gran Tourismo, Colin McRae and Wipeout support Nubs. It would be great if they do!

notaz said:
Pleng said:
What are those games, out of interest?

All the Ridge Racers, and all the F1 games.

It's probably unfair to say they don't run at a 'reasonable' rate as some of them are probably about 70% full speed, but for a racing game that's not really playable. Especially F1 2005 which has a bizzare jumpy pause-catchup issue.

I'm not trying to knock anybodies efforts of the people involved in the software and I know you've been bang on it with PCSXReARMed Notaz. My post was made from an end-user perspective, not a 'community member' perspective. It seems that the hardware just isn't quite powerful enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back