What Is Sega

It's probably something arcade related, they certainly arnt going back into consoles anytime soon and it'd be a fool's erranand to step into the middle of the highspeed freeway that is portable gaming right now.

Other than that it could be an online service like Play Online or live but it'd be foolish once again for Sega to place another service on top of live to have to deal with especially if it's not compatable, Hell I can hardly understand how FF11 is supposed to work with on X360 with live dispite how benign Play Online is. It could end up being a nightmare.

Apparently they were considering a new handlheld based on Dreamcast technology.

They can now get the whole of the DC's chips into one the size of a cornflake, so they may go somewhere with that.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 15 2005 at 09:17 AM said:
It's probably something arcade related
It says at the bottom of the article that it's not arcade or software related. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it is a handheld, and I hope its a Sega handheld backed by Microsoft. So that still puts the big 3 in the handheld market, Sony, Nintendo, Sega/microsoft. There's only 2 handhelds in real competition at this time. So a big, and familiar, name like Sega would be perfect for releasing a new handheld.

For example. Joe Someone walks into a gaming store, this Joe Someone has played video games in the past but is not hardcore. He sees 2 portable systems, a Sega Portable, and a Tiger Telematics (Gizmondo). Which would he chose?

Well more than likely it would be the Sega. Anybody that has played any kind of game or game system has more than likely heard of sega, but you'd be pretty hard pressed to pull someone off the street that heard of Tiger Telematics.

Angel posted on Sep 15 2005 at 04:10 PM said:
I hope it is a handheld, and I hope its a Sega handheld backed by Microsoft. So that still puts the big 3 in the handheld market, Sony, Nintendo, Sega/microsoft. There's only 2 handhelds in real competition at this time. So a big, and familiar, name like Sega would be perfect for releasing a new handheld.

For example. Joe Someone walks into a gaming store, this Joe Someone has played video games in the past but is not hardcore. He sees 2 portable systems, a Sega Portable, and a Tiger Telematics (Gizmondo). Which would he chose?

Well more than likely it would be the Sega. Anybody that has played any kind of game or game system has more than likely heard of sega, but you'd be pretty hard pressed to pull someone off the street that heard of Tiger Telematics.

Take the 'Telematics' away and plenty of people have heard of Tiger.

maybe so, but I'd bet if you polled random people, more people have heard of Sega Games than Tiger Games, especially since the only real game system tiger had was Game.com, they were more known for the dedicated handheld systems, and even those I think are played more by young kids than anybody. So i believe if the target demographic for any new handheld system should be age 13+ and if so, you would see many more people recognizing the Sega name than Tiger or Tiger Telematics. But since Tiger is not releasing any new system probably ever again, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console Please be a console

they changed their minds? I still hope its a portable. Even if it is a console, Sega could still make 3rd party games for the other systems, thats more money in their pocket, and they can still have Sega exclusive games. It's their discretion on what they want to release for what system.

Sorry it was 4 AM I musta missed the "not arcade" or thought it said something else. But still just because more people heard of Sega than someone else it dosent mean it's a good idea for them to release a handheld. In fact it'd be a downright stupid idea when they're saving so much money producing software for so many systems and not loosing money on hardware.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 15 2005 at 07:54 PM said:
Sorry it was 4 AM I musta missed the "not arcade" or thought it said something else. But still just because more people heard of Sega than someone else it dosent mean it's a good idea for them to release a handheld. In fact it'd be a downright stupid idea when they're saving so much money producing software for so many systems and not loosing money on hardware.

With sega it was never about the money in the end IMO.

It would be great if they did release something, maybe they'd give SonicTeam a slap and get them to make some good old japanese stuff rather than amercian pleasing shit.

Anyhoo the handheld idea was almost concrete and they had a strong backing for it, now if I could only find the source of where I heard that.

It was about money, they were bleeding pretty badly before they dropped the DC and the of course there were all the merger attempts that finally landed them under Sammy's wing. That's why Guilty Gear has the Sega log on it.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 15 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
It was about money, they were bleeding pretty badly before they dropped the DC and the of course there were all the merger attempts that finally landed them under Sammy's wing. That's why Guilty Gear has the Sega log on it.

Fair point, I meant ethically though.

Namco nearly beat Sammy to them, pity they didnt that would have been amazing.

Thats why i stated that I hope it is a portable by Sega with Microsoft backing it up. There's the money right there. And if you remember, most hardware companies make their money on software. If Sega makes a handheld, they are not only making money from the software for it, but will make money from the software they are making for every other system. Makes alot of sense to me. Though you'd never see a Sony game on The Gamecube, or Microsoft make a game for PS2, to have a company that doesn't care about the bickering and make games for it's own system as well as the others is a good idea in my eyes.

So if Sega did release a portable system, with or without Microsoft backing. They could make the money from software by making games for each system. Thats a lot of money. If Microsoft backed Sega, I'd imagine the games would be for the Sega system and Xboxs. Still, thats 2 systems and software for 2 systems is more money than 1.

Its all hypothetical though. I just would like to see hardware from Sega again and i feel this would be the best way to go about it. They're not going to win a home console battle. But the DS isn't great. The PSP has a lot of potential but pretty much sucks now, so a portable system done right could be it.

shinneri posted on Sep 15 2005 at 07:38 PM said:
If it's a new Sega handheld based on the DC, I think I'd be the happiest man alive...

you, me, and a whoooole lot of other people me thinks. And I think this would be the perfect time for sega to get into the portable market. I don't think they'd have any problems competing with DS or PSP "at this time" since there really isn't anything great about either system right now.

Twimfy posted on Sep 15 2005 at 03:20 PM said:

Actually namco gave up on them. Sega had to give them a response to their terms by a certain date and sega let it lapse so they were hanging by a thread until Sammy came a long.

As for the Microsoft idea it wouldn't likely happen unless Microsft had bought a huge chunk of sega, they have a very extreme way of doing buisness, so they either dont care about you or they want to own you in regards to 3d party companies. Also concidering the DC was partly a Microsoft product (developed to use a custom version of WinCE if I recall) they probably arnt to quick to work with them again especially since sega has yet to create a system seller for them.

In other words they don't have enough confidence in Sega to back a hardware product like that.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 15 2005 at 09:15 PM said:
Twimfy posted on Sep 15 2005 at 03:20 PM said:

Actually namco gave up on them. Sega had to give them a response to their terms by a certain date and sega let it lapse so they were hanging by a thread until Sammy came a long.

As for the Microsoft idea it wouldn't likely happen unless Microsft had bought a huge chunk of sega, they have a very extreme way of doing buisness, so they either dont care about you or they want to own you in regards to 3d party companies. Also concidering the DC was partly a Microsoft product (developed to use a custom version of WinCE if I recall) they probably arnt to quick to work with them again especially since sega has yet to create a system seller for them.

In other words they don't have enough confidence in Sega to back a hardware product like that.

The dreamcast had something to do with WinCE, but if I recall correctly, had nothing to do with Microsoft directly other than compatability with something. I've never heard of the Dreamcast using anything WinCE related in anything it ever released. I am about 90% confident this was the case and the Dreamcast was not intended to make Microsoft money directly by selling systems or Dreamcast software.

It'll probably be just something like a new style of control device for the home consoles meant for a specific sega game.

Back