What OS do you use?

Linux:

Fedora Core on my Work an Home Laptop

Centos 5.5 for server stuff.

Also @ work..

FreeBSD

AIX

Solaris

OS/2 Warp -- Laugh all you want, I have to use it.

Windows:

I have a windows 3.1 system for the fun of it.

A 386 laptop with windows 95 on it..

My 3DFX machine.. AMD K6-2 with Windows 98.

I think I may have a Pentium II or two with Windows 2000

used windows XP and XP-64 bit for a while.. don't have a system right now with them running.

Windows 7 on my Gaming Machine and Media PC.

Thinking of installing a hacked copy of OS/X on a regular PC or just get a second hand Mac. Figure I'll need to learn it sooner or later.. not that there is much to learn..

My PC Dual Boots Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7 Ultimate. My eeepc 701 has Kubuntu and when my laptop gets fixed it'll dual boot Kubuntu and Windows 7

windows 7 host running vmware and virtual machines running ubuntu, osx, android x86, windows xp, and another copy of windows 7 for sandboxing/testing.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the version. Well, this should be ample:

Code:
$ uname -a

Linux austin-laptop0 2.6.32-26-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 10:14:11 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

edit: I guess it didn't say that it's Ubuntu 10.04

Eventually I plan on switching to Kubuntu 10.10.

(Also, I don't mind the button side changes.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux Mint 10 all the way, no dual boot on my PCs. My desktop that I use for gaming I had Ubuntu 10.10 but after using Linux Mint 10 on my net top I decided to use it there also.

For anyone that uses Ubuntu I'd give Mint a try, it is more refined than Ubuntu is, same thing but nice tweaks here and there and fully compatible with packages from the version of Ubuntu it is based on.

Linux Mint 10 all the way, no dual boot on my PCs. My desktop that I use for gaming I had Ubuntu 10.10 but after using Linux Mint 10 on my net top I decided to use it there also.

For anyone that uses Ubuntu I'd give Mint a try, it is more refined than Ubuntu is, same thing but nice tweaks here and there and fully compatible with packages from the version of Ubuntu it is based on.
I'd use Mint, but I'm in the U.S. and here including proprietary codecs would be illegal. sigh... I guess I could use the version without those...

My main machine runs Kubuntu 10.04. My media center pc runs XMBC live (ubuntu basically) with awesome on top for non-media center stuff. My other PCs are running either ubuntu or xubuntu.

My next install will be either a stripped and customized buntu or debian built around awesome.

I'd use Mint, but I'm in the U.S. and here including proprietary codecs would be illegal. sigh... I guess I could use the version without those...

Is it still illegal? I thought it would be fair use or something.

I suppose the police are gonna come after me now. :p

What illegal codecs? If they're reverse engineered I don't think anyone can take who ever wrote them to court. Well, and win anyway.

What illegal codecs? If they're reverse engineered I don't think anyone can take who ever wrote them to court. Well, and win anyway.
For example, to play DVDs, you need DeCSS, because DVDs are encrypted. DeCSS is illegal in the US due to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (and in other countries that implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty). Therefore, to play DVDs on Linux, you have either to disregard the DMCA or to buy a licenced DVD player (dunno if there even is one for linux, never bothered to check).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decss#Legal_response

Similar issues arise with other file formats, including, as far as I remember, mp3 and h264, depending on the country you're in.

Now, most linux distributions (like ubuntu) just don't include those codecs while giving you the ability to install them yourself. Linux Mint on the other hand installs them by default

Desktops: Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 (though I also have a partition reserved for trying other distros), and Win XP (gets little use, mostly games that won't run on wine)

Main laptop: Ubuntu Desktop 10.10, Win 7

Auxiliary laptop: Ubuntu Desktop 10.04, OS X Tiger (mostly used as kitchen jukebox with external speakers)

Main server: Ubuntu Server 10.10

Virtual servers: Debian Sid

File server: Some proprietary embedded linux variant with nice management tools

Ubuntu Linux 10.10 - plain and simple.

Virtualized Windows XP for Applications like Visual Studio 2010, MSSQL and Mathcad. (Need them for school.)

Workstation: Debian Squeeze

Netbook: Debian Lenny with some Debian Squeeze packages

Torrentbox: Debian Lenny

Router/fileserver/shell/webserver: Debian Lenny

Oh, did I say I like Debian? :p

OSX 10.4 and Windows Vista. Want Ubuntu on one of my older machines. Unfortunately, somehow the Win2000 was somehow corrupted and I can't get in to save my precious files...

^ Huh, whats the problem? Boot some linux livecd (I think even older ones can read NTFS partitions) and copy our files to an USB stick/hd?

EDIT: Oh, my OSs:

Main PC: Arch Linux

Alix 2d13 firewall/server: Voyage Linux (based on Debian)

^When I tried the Ubuntu LiveCD, the HDD didn't show up.

^When I tried the Ubuntu LiveCD, the HDD didn't show up.
The liveCD might not have NTFS file system, you shouldn't be using an Ubuntu life cd anyway, too difficult, they make recovery distros that are easier. I'll hunt one down for you.

EDIT: This one was the first one for data recovery that I found on Distrowatch, you could find more there. It is always easier to have a tool made specifically made for the job.

It looks like it is for Partitioning but also it lists itself for data recovery also. Just don't format anything before you back it up :D

Back