What System Do You Want Emulated First?

x68000 said:
gavie said:
Jaguar and Saturn would be nice, but I expect a couple of years before that happens.. Both are a bitch to emulate..

I wouldn't hold your breath for either of those systems to ever run at playable speeds.

I think we need to knock talk of saturns, dreamcasts etc on the head and just get the fundamentals right.

But Firefox says that T2K should run full speed on Pandora with no effort whatsoever.

I wonder which one of you is right, or maybe the truth is somewhere inbetween...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm pretty confident that it'll run at full speed. Hopefully just a recompile of the current x86 SDL version will run at full speed on the Pandora, which will be nice as I can probably just make it a build option then and it'll be easy to keep the two ports in sync.

Getting it to run at full speed on the GP2X is the challenging bit. Fingers crossed, I'm going to have some actual free time at weekends again very soon so I'll be able to resume work on it.

Commodore 64. An handled open source console with a keyboard is definitly an invitation for C64 emulation.

Then, Amiga, if there is an UAE port that is network aware. That way I'll make the stuff boot on an emulated AmigaOS by default with Aweb, amIRC, and whdload. Plus, there surely is a C64 emulator for OS3 on aminet. Emulating an Amiga emulating a C64 is so much more classy than plainly emulating a C64.

Now the question is: is there a VIC20 or PET emulator for C64 ?

TomVS said:
Why the hell would someone want to emulate that piece of crap ?

Clad said:
I am not one to believe than fanboyism should stop just because both platforms are long dead.
Let them rest is peace. It's not good to annoy deads...

It's great to see that the Amiga is still available (with or without Commodore)

It was a major shame that they never really managed to make the transition from 16 to 32 bit systems a success.

Clad said:
TomVS said:

Because there are some awesome games available for it (even if most of those games are also available on Amiga), and it'll use less CPU power to emulate than an Amiga (ST is already full speed on the 2x and was basically full speed on the GP32, compared to Amiga which is still stuttery without a very heavy overclock).

As I understand it, at least a significant proportion of games were ported up to the Amiga rather than down to the ST, so in that set, the games are likely near identical. Consequently, whether one runs the ST version or the Amiga one, they get the same experience. In such a situation, it is rational to choose to run the game on the emu which uses least power so as to maximise battery life (all other things being equal).

You really have to think about this one, because it's not so much what we want, (PSX,N64, whick will come in due time...) but how much time it will take to develop. It will take years for an N64 Emulator to get good rnough to run a lot of games full speed. Same with PSX, were STILL trying to perfect our emulation of that on the GP2X.

So, if I was looking for A Emulator that wouldint take much time to port and has a lot of games on it worh playing.. I would say...

1. Super Nintnendo. for teh win.
2. Maybe Atari ST..(I never COULD get that running on my GP2x...)
3. Sega Genesis
4. NES
5. MSX

If we were'nt worrying about the time ellement, I would say..
1. Nintendo 64
2. Playstation
3. Super Nintendo
4. MSX
5. Sega Genesis

so... It's not for us to really deside, but... This is what I would chose If I could.

Classic Team said:
Same with PSX, were STILL trying to perfect our emulation of that on the GP2X.
From what I understand, most of what's being done is optimization.
On the pandora they won't have to optimize it as much because the target platform is so much more powerful. Optimization is still very welcome on the pandora because of the extra battery life that comes with it though :X

Classic Team said:
Same with PSX, were STILL trying to perfect our emulation of that on the GP2X.
You'll probably get the playstation emulator running fullspeed with good compatibility on the day of release.

Pandora is no GP2X, GP2X will never ever be able to have a fully functional PSX emulator, while for Pandora it's not much harder than for a GP2X to emulate a megadrive/genesis, or for a GP32 to emulate a PC Engine.

N64 will probably take some time though. Think of it as something near the SNES emulation for the GP2X, took quite some time before having something really comparable to ZSNES on PC. Pandora probably have the muscle, but it will take quite some dev sweat to get it functionnal.

Tobriand said:
Clad said:
TomVS said:

Because there are some awesome games available for it (even if most of those games are also available on Amiga), and it'll use less CPU power to emulate than an Amiga (ST is already full speed on the 2x and was basically full speed on the GP32, compared to Amiga which is still stuttery without a very heavy overclock).

As I understand it, at least a significant proportion of games were ported up to the Amiga rather than down to the ST, so in that set, the games are likely near identical. Consequently, whether one runs the ST version or the Amiga one, they get the same experience. In such a situation, it is rational to choose to run the game on the emu which uses least power so as to maximise battery life (all other things being equal).

There were many many amiga exclusives, and of the games which were released on both platforms, the amiga usually had the graphical edge on the 2D games and always had the edge in the sound dept.

I don't think it would be unrealistic to expect full speed amiga emulation.

x68000 said:
There were many many amiga exclusives, and of the games which were released on both platforms, the amiga usually had the graphical edge on the 2D games and always had the edge in the sound dept.

I don't think it would be unrealistic to expect full speed amiga emulation.
True, but I wasn't thinking about those. Admittedly, my information is second or third hand due to not being into either at the time (I was a PC child - go Monuments of Mars!), but as I understand it, not all, but some games were made for the Atari ST before they were made for the Amiga, because it was easier to port up to the Amiga than down to the ST. Such games used the same graphics, typically, for both systems (because it was a significant amount of work to re-do them for the Amiga), although I believe when I was told about this practise someone mentioned that the sound almost always was redone.

Now, such games are going to be rather limited in number, but they do exist, and for them, it makes sense to use the ST versions. For the most part, I'm aware that the Amiga trumped the ST significantly, though.

(regarding the ST defense; Peace, I was just trolling for the sake of the good old time, I did not mean it, of course the ST is a nice piece of hardware)

tim > Amiga Inc ? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, have they ever released a single piece of hardware ? A Inc is nothing but vaporware, with their AmigaDE bullshit (a software environment for PDA absolutly 100% not compatible with anything amigaish no one bothered to implement). And they are acting like bullies with Eyetech, the company behind AmigaOS 4.

Elbox is famous for it's vaporware (altough they don't sell anything they can't deliver in their online shops, their PCI bushboards are no vaporware...) but at least they finally release some stuffs once in a while for the amiga classic, and are the only company still in the amiga classic hardware business.

All the other companies are making new gen PPC based amigas, such as the Amiga One, the Genesis, the Efika (altough neither AmigaOS nor MorphOS are available on that yet) and the yet to be released Samantha, with probable AmigaOS support.

I have nothing against new gen amiga, but none of those are compatible with apps that make direct use of the OCS/AGA. Having to use UAE kind of defeat the purpose of having an Amiga...

Back