What System Do You Want Emulated First?

Pleng said:
Road Rash is of course a direct port of the 3DO version, so it should be possible to see that on Pandora at some point.
Probably not. All three decent Saturn emulators are closed source, as is the only decent 3DO emulator. Even if you could sweet talk the programmer of Satourne of SSF into releasing the source, they are both DirectX 9 dependent.

Full speed Saturn emulation on Pandora might be technically possible, but somebody would have to code it from scratch. In other words, there is effectively no chance of a Saturn emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sorry. I thought I read somewhere that 3D0 emulation was probable.

I am aware that decent speed Saturn emulation is but a pipdream, but what about yabase? Is that not open source?

Pleng said:
I am aware that decent speed Saturn emulation is but a pipdream, but what about yabase? Is that not open source?
I don't know. I'd never heard of it before. Googling "yabase saturn" only turns up a couple forum posts (not helpful) and some sites in foreign languages. Googling "yabase open source" comes up with nothing applicable.

Chip said:
I don't know. I'd never heard of it before. Googling "yabase saturn" only turns up a couple forum posts (not helpful) and some sites in foreign languages. Googling "yabase open source" comes up with nothing applicable.
Here comes the spelling police again...

It's Yabause.

I am on the wagon with a universal loader for all the emus, that is something that is sorely missing in the psp and ds scenes, If i get something as advanced as a pandora i would love to have a stylish interface with cover art and the like to have the games show up on. like maybe an i touch menu where you scroll through game covers. as a psp owner that would make me insanely jouleous !

I like the idea of an emu menu that supports game covers and screenshots (similar to MAME32's GUI perhaps).

However, this business of a universal loader... It's OK if such things get developed, but I LIKE having different emus with their own unique look and feel. And I think some emu authors enjoy that aspect too. So there's room for both.

That's a good point I think just a touch and play interface would kind of take away the feel of who put the work into the emulator. Maybe a pandora recommended framework where each emu would have the same function keys and text layout and a credits screen before the game of that emulator started I always thought that homebrew devs should have cool splash screens anyway just like commercial games do.

Well I really prefer not to waste my time on splash and credit screens more than once or twice, when i want to play games. Even more if it's an emulator, which will load a game that has even more splash screens :D

I still think the best idea is just to let (well, not that anyone will be obliged to anything) people do their emulator the way they want to, but it would be cool if emulators implemented a common way (command-line parameters...) to load games and set configurations directly. Maybe they could have a INI, XML or something for describing their options, supported files, etc so that the general-cool-emu-launcher would do everything automatically :)

This way, everyone will be happy IMO because there will be both optons.

Tinnus said:
Well I really prefer not to waste my time on splash and credit screens more than once or twice, when i want to play games. Even more if it's an emulator, which will load a game that has even more splash screens :D

I still think the best idea is just to let (well, not that anyone will be obliged to anything) people do their emulator the way they want to, but it would be cool if emulators implemented a common way (command-line parameters...) to load games and set configurations directly. Maybe they could have a INI, XML or something for describing their options, supported files, etc so that the general-cool-emu-launcher would do everything automatically :)

This way, everyone will be happy IMO because there will be both optons.
Gmenu2x is capable of doing what most people seem to want.. as long as the emulator supports command line instructions. It wouldn't surprise me if this was going to be used by default for the advanced interface of the Pandora anyway.

It's certainly powerful/configurable enough and supports quite a few languages. All it would really need is touch screen support adding, the tv-out re-doing for the new system, a some more minor tweaks for the specific Pandora hardware and all should be good :)

Anyone know if Ryo will be receiving one of the developer releases?

Shiny said:
Here comes the spelling police again...

It's Yabause.
That makes a bit more sense :D

I guess the old standbys (Zophar's and Emulator-Zone) just don't update any more. They both had Yabause listed as unable to play commercial games. That's why I didn't bother looking into it.

It does appear to be potentially portable to Pandora, but how well it would run is another question. Going through some of the games in the compatability list, only about 1/3 are listed as "playable". Even some of the playable games are described as "a bit slow" on 2-2.5GHz PCs.

I think it's obvious we want everything the gp2x can do right now.

We don't really need to ask what we want first because we already have something: Squidge already has SNES ported :D

Other than what the gp2x does, I would say n64 emulation is the first thing I'd like to see.

Am i the only wants a playable dreamcast emulator on the pandora, i mean the other consoles are great but i
want sonic adventure 1 and 2 in my pocket DAMMIT!!!!

zamerick said:
Am i the only wants a playable dreamcast emulator on the pandora, i mean the other consoles are great but i
I thought there already is a dreamcast emulator. I really hope the psp emulator gets completed but for now I really want a n64 emulator since the rom sizes aren't that big so I could fit many games on my sd card.

Feeling a little lonely here... my top 3 givent eh apparent best we can expect of DOSBox...

1. The BBC Micro family
2. DOSBox
3. Spectrum

:D

zamerick said:
Hint: Bumping threads that are over a year old is not good form. ;)

top 5:
1. N64.
2. DS.
3. PSP.
4. Dosbox
5. GBA(maby it comes with a ds emulator)

only 3 of the emulators i want are going to be ported :(
i dont think the psp emulator will come soon with playable speeds ^^
so lets make that a 2.

All I truly desire is :
Gameboy
Gameboy Colour
Gameboy Advance
SNES

I can't wait!

I am under the impression that the Saturn is messy and quite unlikely to come to the Pandora, but seeing that Yabause is an open source and working Saturn emulator gives me a nice dose of hope. I'm sure it wouldn't be an easy task (and potentially impractical) to port and optimize Yabause for Pandora, but I hope some more people look into it.

Anyway, my order:
1. PSX
2. N64
3. SNES
4. GBA
5. MAME

Back