What To Put In Online Manual?

lulzfish said:
This would be a great use for a Pandora-tan.

"Pandora-tan does not like water, but magnets are okay. Please do not bend Pandora-tan. Do not leave Pandora-tan in direct sunlight, especially if her screen is open."

kin said:
lol cartoon:

- do not take a bath with it

I now have mildly disturbing images in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of thoughts or suggestions.

The first is to make the manual relatively vague, since specific elements of the OS may change over time. It should be sufficient to refer the user to the "Look and Feel," desktop, and screensaver control panels et al. for personalization options. But anything actually in those control panels should be pretty self-explanatory.

Second, things relatively specific to the Pandora should be addressed in a general, explanatory way. Pandora specific elements might be anything having to do with the gaming controls, hot swapping SD card slots, PND file type, the headphone/mic port, the LED lights, the battery and its idiosyncrasies (like how putting the battery in turns the device on), etc.

Third, the manual should be in HTML instead of PDF format, so that it can be easily updated over time, maybe with OS updates. Kind of like the iPhone's user guide is in HTML.

I kind of feel that if there is a single officially supported OS, that only that OS needs to be in the manual. Anyone who is installing another OS can rely on their own knowledge or the forums for other information.

The manual is on the Pandora Wiki:
http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual

...so no HTML needed; everyone can edit it already. I might write a script that generates a PDF out of that site periodically, but most editing will always happen in the Wiki.

I think it should be made clear that it's a community written manual. These parts imply that OP Ltd has written the manual:

Safety section

The battery of Pandora must be charged by the charger included with the Pandora(see package contents) and we at OpenPandora Ltd. cannot be responsible for people using third party chargers.

All third party modifications and hardware/software can damage your Pandora, we at OpenPandora Ltd cannot be responsible for damage caused by this.

Warranty section

By law there is a one year warranty, and we will replace/repair your device if it is faulty.
Even if we're 100% correct on the details, speaking for them / "as" them could lead to confusion. I could just jump in and change it, but I thought it was worth running it past people first. Suggested change:

Safety section

The battery of Pandora must be charged by the charger included with the Pandora(see package contents) and we at OpenPandora Ltd cannot be responsible for people using third party chargers.

All third party modifications and hardware/software can damage your Pandora, we at OpenPandora Ltd cannot be responsible for damage caused by this.

Warranty section

By law there is a one year warranty, and OpenPandora Ltd will replace/repair your device if it is faulty.

I have a question about the manual. As far as I am aware, the Pandora does not have a power button, it has a power switch. The wiki manual talks about a power button. Am I making some kind of mistake here, or is that information inaccurate?

I don't know the accurate difference between a button and a switch in English, but I _think_ I know what you mean. The Pandora mechanism is a sideways sliding button. It slides back when you release it, so technically it is a button that has to be slid sideways instead of pushed in, but it's not a switch.

I'm pretty sure it's still called a switch (I'm a native American English speaker, by the way).

tis a switch!, you press a button, a switch slides or toggles (like those after market switches you get in car spare shops), buttons go in/out, switches move from side to side, you may be confusing them with the FUNCTION of switching, a button can switch something, but remains a button, ie power button switches power on on my laptop, a switch could do the same thing, but it would be called a switch since it moves in a different way (just to be clear)

hobbyman II said:
tis a switch!, you press a button, a switch slides or toggles (like those after market switches you get in car spare shops), buttons go in/out, switches move from side to side, you may be confusing them with the FUNCTION of switching, a button can switch something, but remains a button, ie power button switches power on on my laptop, a switch could do the same thing, but it would be called a switch since it moves in a different way (just to be clear)
I'll say it's a lever, just to shut you both up :p

Last edited by a moderator:
In German it would still be called "Taster", because the name is defined by function and not by the direction it is moved. Besides other things I'm also an electrical engineering guy(didn't finish study, though), so bear with my nitpicking ;) It seems that the English words "button" and "switch" are more consumer terms than technical terms.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Button

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/switch

not very helpful, they muddle the function of switching with the device, but you have the term push-button, not slide-button, and the phrase "flipped (or slid) a switch", but then you have the (infrequent) but still fairly common, "pushed a switch" (same as "pushed a button"), seems the definition is getting a little blurred in it's distinction, but imo buttons go in/out, switches go side to side.

Thanks, Hobbyman :)
I read a bit further. The best term would be momentary switch, I suppose.
/end nitpicking

My dad got a new monitor for Christmas. It doesn't have any mechanical way of turning it on, just this weird touch pad thing. Is it a button or a switch or something else entirely?
Why should we care? That's easy: what do you call those squares on the screen that you click (or in some cases, tap) on? :p

All buttons are switches

ah! you are obviously too young to remember mechanical push button tuners, they where either a condenser with mechanical settings or a resistor that slid from position to position, no switch :p

touchpads are touchpads, a beast unto themselves, in the 70/80[sup]s[/sup] tv tuners had their precursor, the touch tuner, as a trendy alternative to buttons, only trouble was the tv would change channel when a fly landed on the tuner strip (attracted by the channel led no doubt) or they played up when you didn't clean em properly or with the wrong stuff, then we had ultrasonic remotes that used tones to toggle funtions (think of thin walled houses/apartments and people having sets of the same make next door :lol: )

the zx81 touch insensitive keyboard was yet another short lived gizmo, but still used on some weatherproof keypads or cheap gadgets ( afaik), geeze, I do ramble on..... :lol:

XD, so little to rant about that we started an argue bout buttons?
here's my bullet.

Buttons are a subset of switches specially called because of their resemblance of the round ones used in wearables.

but now a days since the buildup of the needs we can find em squared, mushroom and all sorts of figures. (either electronics or the wearable ones.)

now into electronics buttons split up into 2 major Characteristic.

Pole Action:
*Usually Off Most common ones that only conduct when pressed.
*Usually On used sometimes when you need to cut when pushed.
*Stable State(s) they act up mostly like retractable pen. (example: emergency mushrooms)

Track model:
*Single track: used only to deliver or not to deliver a connection (1/Z)signal.
*Conmutative Track: these are those with multiple leads (at least 3 but usually 4 or +) and they invert the signal provided (0/1/.../n)signal. Most common ones in th models.

all these can be easilly called using the switch type notation (*P*T) *Pole*Track.

then we had ultrasonic remotes that used tones to toggle funtions (think of thin walled houses/apartments and people having sets of the same make next door :lol: )

Remember them well! When I was but a sprout, my family had a tv that everytime you jingled any spare change it would turn itself over/off/increase or decrease the volume! Oh how amusing we found that... :p

Off the button/switch discussion...
... Are we having multi-language manual?
If that's the case, I'd like to provide portuguese translation (surely someone more skilled could write a spanish version, since that's not my birth language...)

Back