Will A Comprehensive Manual Be Included?

Should a manual come with the Pandora?

• Yes, it should cover Configuration and Firmware, including utilities and command line options.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it should be a Quick Start Guide.

• No, too expensive, no manual at all should be developed (online or hard copy)

• No, just point them to the Forums.

• Quick start guide that points them to an online manual

• Quick start guide and complete Man pages onboard

• Total voters

How about what you want to be documented? It's kinda pointless to document Linux and the linux commands (as these are already fully documented in lots of places), so do people just want to know how to charge the unit, replace the battery, etc?

Yeah,

documenting linux wouldnt make any sense,
but the special tools installed should be listet with a short one sentence description i think.
And especially the specific emulators are important for this device i think, how to use them, that should be documented i think.

And how the hardware components interact with each other.

Documenting this at least in the wiki would be great :)

greets
Simon

TaG said:
Chip said:
Any printed material shipped with the units would be out-of-date by the time you received it. The software that ships with the Pandora will be minimal and will likely see several updates before too long.
Agreed totally.

Disagreed totally. Mostly.
A manual should cover more than just the software. It also includes the hardware, such as how to install the battery, what each LED means, the different ways the power switch works, the various ways to charge it, how to use the USB OTG port, restrictions on the USB port... probably a bunch of other stuff. A basic trouble shooting guide never hurt either, for when you're not near a network connection.
Also, I can't imagine that a lot of the software really would change, at least not the kinds of things that would be included in a manual. I would hope that basic stuff would remain consistent, such as how to recognize the bios start screen to confirm it is, in fact, booting; how to start an application from the menu; assorted configuration changes, not the least of which is keyboard mappings. No doubt several other things as well. All this stuff is basic to the OS and shouldn't change a whole lot over time.
I'm sure a lot of these seem like no brainers, but we're not the only ones that will be using it. There's no doubt going to be a large number of people who have been watching with only mild interest that'll pick it up who haven't been reading the forum, and don't know about a lot of the features.

So my vote, simple manually, maybe a dozen pages tops, in the native language of whatever country it's being shipped from, including hardware setup, basic OS features, and short troubleshooting guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like a quick manual to include things as a reset combonation, hardware info, and a link to the website, in case i am away from "teh internet" also, i think it would be a good idea to ship it on the pandora somehow.

Squidge said:
How about what you want to be documented? It's kinda pointless to document Linux and the linux commands (as these are already fully documented in lots of places), so do people just want to know how to charge the unit, replace the battery, etc?
Well, I think just like WizardStan in the post above me ^^, we need to document all the hardware in that fashion.

As for the documentation, maybe what I wanted all along was a man page or readme that is actually useful.

That way the devs of homebrew apps, games, or emulators know how to write a manual or a readme so that the GUI will be able to load it.

The GUI itself might need a simple man page that explains what each option does if it is obscure. Perhaps I am thinking more along the lines of explaining settings the GUI has.

In an ideal world it would be neat if the wiki/online manual was accessible from the Pandora itself (or maybe just upgradeable from the Pandora), that way if you are online with the Pandora you can get up to date instructions simply.

Nothing to intense, maybe just a file called "readme" or "man" or maybe the executable with a .man file extension. This could be a text file that loads quickly in the GUI so that people aren't lost when running new apps. Kind of similar to Gmenu2X, but with the added benefit of a standard so that you don't need to configure the readme, it just works. Unless Gmenu2X has that already, in which case we are good :).

Edit: 3 Squares lol, that was a joke.

nubie said:
Sorry Cosurgi

I did ask you to put in bold what you want, then I could see about adding it to the poll.

No, it's me who is sorry. I saw that "in bold" part, but I ignored it... uhh because I was a bit angry that you missed this option. My fault.

But thank you for fixing it, I have voted and I'm glad that I could :)

Om the one hand a small start-up guide is necessary for noobs, describing bios, leds, gui - everything made specially for Panda. On the other hand I think I've been following this forum and can use it as a mini-guide. I think the proportion of geeks among first adopters will be extremely high and I don't think they'll need a manual, well not at the cost of delay. So can we add an option to the poll like "yes, I would like a manual but not in the first batch"?

_VWV_ said:
Om the one hand a small start-up guide is necessary for noobs, describing bios, leds, gui - everything made specially for Panda. On the other hand I think I've been following this forum and can use it as a mini-guide. I think the proportion of geeks among first adopters will be extremely high and I don't think they'll need a manual, well not at the cost of delay. So can we add an option to the poll like "yes, I would like a manual but not in the first batch"?
You wanted to say:

So can we add an option to the poll like "yes, I would like a manual but not in the first batch"

nubie wanted suggestions in bold :)

There are some things that should definitely be documented in hte box, but, as has been pointed out, possibly not with the first batch in order to save time.

Importantly:
- How to install games
- How to use the Gui, whatever it ends up being. In particular, running programs.
- How to use TV-out with any included software (and a note to say that the same instructions do not necessarily apply to later released software
- How to turn WiFi/Bluetooth on and off
- How to boot from SD, update the firmware, or hardware reset the unit.
- How to charge the battery

In other words, how to perform thos really simple tasks that for most of us here are pretty obvious, but, for some people, really won't be. And whilst I think the first batch, and probably the second, will go almost exclusively to geeks and the like, I suspect somewhere down the line Pandora may squeeze onto the edge of the mainstream. If it does, then it will meet people who won't like online manuals, and who will need help with what should, hopefully, be rather simple tasks.

But that's a little way down the line.

Hardware should have (an optional) printed manual.

Software/Firmware manual should be some sort of flat-database application automatically updated from an online repository with new sections highlighted with some sort of icon.

I would also like to see a tips/tricks help file too for power users (probably most of us!).

I don't know how in USA, but in EU must be "instruction how to use" included in language where is device officially shopped. OK, It's mean some English and German instruction. I recall some instruction fro user guide of my first computer Sharp MZ820: Don't put in the water! Don't keep in electricity without watching - fire hazard! So Something like this can be useful (for mom to don't wash Pandora ;-) ).

For the gp2x, there was, for the very first adopters, almost nothing. But then again, the first batch purchasers are by definition not noobs.

Then Guy Fawkes (if I remember correctly) put together a great pdf, which was regularly updated.

For later orders, Craig included a CD with some brief instructions and (probably) the pdf.

So it very much depends who this 'manual' is aimed at. For power users, they will in the first batch require almost nothing as these boards will effectively answer the questions.

Hopefully someone will put together doc that explains the basics for noobs and within that document I would point them towards these forums or the twiki.

But - for all the twiki fans, I think that for noobs there is definitely an advantage to (in addition to the twiki) a printable, easy to understand pdf.

ie doesn't help much, but in essence, its this board at the very beginning, the twiki as knowledge grows for power users, but I think there is a strong case for a printable, easy to read pdf for beginners. It can be included on a CDROM (or possibly pre-loaded into the Pandora if we have a pdf reader)... But these will take time to be created.

andyB911 said:
For power users, they will in the first batch require almost nothing as these boards will effectively answer the questions.
Yeah but there are people don't have time to read the boards as much as you're suggesting.

The HP 200LX is the closest thing I have to the Pandora. It's a massively complex machine (a 186 SOC DOS based machine with full keyboard and it's own inevitable hardware quirks) that had quite a big community for a while. You could spend your entire life reading the mailing list just for nuggets of information - little tips and tricks and advice for power users - it was especially complex because like the Pandora everyone wanted something different out of the machine.

Thaddeus computing ran a regular column on their website (originally print magazine) that basically rounded up useful info out of the jumble. I've downloaded from the community's software archive, a notetaker file (flat file database) of all the useful information that been learnt on the machine. It was massively helpful for me.

The truth was, with the 200lX the level of power-user was more like a varied spectrum; you could go into insane amounts of detail with things like batch file processing and keyboard macros. On mine, I have a customized autoexec.bat and config.sys, batch files for launching programs, swapping memory cards, navigating to and displaying directories, running Windows 3.0 with additional apps to support screen inverting and suspend.

I'd argue that Linux is even more complex than DOS, and even more powerful. I think helping power users with Linux is inevitable!

I think the 200lx is a great case example of how to provide friendly help to first-time users. Strangely, for a commercial device it had a great grass-roots-made-for-nerds feel to it, with a tone that was helpful, friendly and not in the least bit patronising.

ashdjones said:
andyB911 said:
For power users, they will in the first batch require almost nothing as these boards will effectively answer the questions.
Yeah but there are people don't have time to read the boards as much as you're suggesting.

I think most people who intend to pre-order would prefer to get their hands on it rather than wait for the twiki / pdf to be developed.

I'm not saying these aren't needed - just that anyone intending to pre-order should accept that there is going to be bery limited specific instructions to begin with. It will come with time.

If you don't have the pioneering spirit / time to read all the treads on here (and both are understandable) then possibly think twice before pre-ordering.

andyB911 said:
ashdjones said:
andyB911 said:

I think most people who intend to pre-order would prefer to get their hands on it rather than wait for the twiki / pdf to be developed.

I'm not saying these aren't needed - just that anyone intending to pre-order should accept that there is going to be bery limited specific instructions to begin with. It will come with time.

If you don't have the pioneering spirit / time to read all the treads on here (and both are understandable) then possibly think twice before pre-ordering.

I agree entirely, but a basic helpfile system built into the machine that is auto-updated (to pad out the limited information) seems like a good move.

A simple html with firefox(or another) when Pandora turns on. With simple quickguides, howto's and hardware info.
And a link to several forums and wikis for every language.

I think a simple 'quick start guide' on a single A4 sheet should do with more detailed stuff being either on an enclosed CD-ROM on PDF or online PDF download, anything else would be too costly and require more time to put together and may further push things back, keep it simple!

jaycee900 said:
on an enclosed CD-ROM on PDF
Oh god no. Please not this!

I think the Pandora should be as independent as possible from needing a desktop PC. It seems to be that sort of machine to me.

ashdjones said:

Software/Firmware manual should be some sort of flat-database application automatically updated from an online repository with new sections highlighted with some sort of icon.

I would also like to see a tips/tricks help file too for power users (probably most of us!).
terminal --> man something. If this baby will be Debian-based we may hope there will be man pages for most apps.

_VWV_ said:
ashdjones said:

terminal --> man something. If this baby will be Debian-based we may hope there will be man pages for most apps.

What does that mean?

Okay, quick Google search tellsm me that a MAN page is an overview for a linux terminal command.

Still, that doesn't exactly teach people how to use the linux terminal.

Back