So What About A Manual Pdf?

Where did that law come from? It's strange that you need a manual, does an online manual count?

If you're the kind of person that needs a manual for the Pandora you probably shouldn't get one anyway.

manual seems like a complete waste of time, how many of the kind of people that would buy the pandora would even read it, let alone need it?

Paradox said:
manual seems like a complete waste of time, how many of the kind of people that would buy the pandora would even read it, let alone need it?
It's not necessarily a need thing. Most of us don't need paper books, but there's just something unreproducible about holding a physical copy.
I don't need a manual, but there's something about an electronic device without one that just feels incomplete. And yes, I will read it, even if I assume I already know everything it will tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at craigix's post. :lol:
but seriously it doesn't seem very difficult, we just need to state the basics as skeezix pointed out.
I would think even a forum member could do it, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

skeezix said:
hey guys,

It occurs to me we need an online comprehensive manual for the Pandora; included with the device will be a 'getting started' type document, but for a more fleshed out deal the wiki is probably the best place.

(For that matter, I don't have top-level edit in pandorawiki.org, so can someone create a top level link to 'Pandora Online Manual' and give me write perms? ;)

I'm rather envisioning we need topics like ..

Specifications
...Highlights
...Specs
...Features

First Time Use
...Charging
...First run (creating your account etc)
...Using the touchscreen, SD cards, etc

Basic Use

Applications
...What is included?
...Where to find the app repository for semi-trusted applications
...Where to find apps in the App Store
...How to download and use applications

Configuration
...Messing with your theme
...Adjusting brightness etc

Anyway, I figure I (or anyone) can start making section headings and filloing in basics, and we all can start putting in details. ie: I can put in some stuff about how apps get auto-discovered and run, and so on.

Question for you -- what topics can you dream up for the online comprehensive manual?

jeff

I loved the GP32 manual. It had little pearls of wisdom like not to put your SMC in the fridge. And to back up the point there was a cartoon of a sad SMC shivering.

Or something like that.

Nova said:
I loved the GP32 manual. It had little pearls of wisdom like not to put your SMC in the fridge. And to back up the point there was a cartoon of a sad SMC shivering.

Or something like that.

haha would like to see a scan of that

Paradox said:
Nova said:

Or something like that.

haha would like to see a scan of that
If I could be bothered to dig to the bottom of my bedroom cupboard I could probably find this. Was it in the NLU/FLU manuals or the BLU ones?

Personally, I never read manuals. I prefer to just start using said item right out of the box, but there should still be a manual. I felt I had to say something because I make manuals for a living (not by choice) It doesn't have to be extravagant, but something would be nice.

I agree with another poster who said it should be retro style.

Did anybody see that Japanese DS Lite manual, the angry snowman and such? With all the graphics artists here, a great manual could be made. Related: http://www.destructoid.com/the-seven-best-videogame-manuals-of-all-time-158352.phtml

A single sheet of instructions on rough paper is what cheap Chinese devices gets. The Pandora should have a booklet.

the falout manual was great from what I remember (or was it the fallout II?)

edit: it was in fact Fallout 1 manual...
the manual

MDave said:
I would suggest you put all the health warnings and such in the manual too, like you see in the first few pages of a game manual. Like epilepsy warnings and such. Just to make sure nobody tries to sue you for not warning them about it.

Maybe also some funny friendly ones that Nintendo did for their Japanese manuals :D
"Please note that, upon first running the Pandora, some facemelting may occur. Open at own risk.

"It may also be necessary to have a third party forcibly pry your fingers from the Pandora after extended play."

I wonder if it’s possible to include an extensive txt or pdf with in the Pandora? Then maybe all you’d have to include in the box a few pieces of cheap paper with the required warnings, such as "to not attempt to bath with your new Pandora." On one of these pieces of paper there could be a hand written note.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your patience, hope you enjoy.

Best

Craigix, DaveC, EvilDragon, mfk, or MWeston

This is probably a dumb idea, but perhaps instead of or in addition to an interesting PDF/printed manual, there could be an 'official' Pandora video game. Something hackerish and representative of the community that draws lore and humour from the forums while also introducing the user to the Pandora's capabilities and uses as they play.

Of course, being an utter coding noob and having zero time right now for such a project, I won't be the one making it. Any takers? :p

"Sorry; your Pandora is in another warehouse. Fear not; the next location is only two weeks' travel from here!"

"OH NOES! THE PRAWN IS COMING - LOTS AND LOTS OF-PREPARE YOURSELF!" *cue the giant zombie prawn horde*

fischju2000 said:
Related: http://www.destructoid.com/the-seven-best-videogame-manuals-of-all-time-158352.phtml
I agree completely with that introduction, I'm the same way. In fact, to this day I still associate December with the original LoZ, and still read the manuals for games (sans all the boring stuff like "Instert Cart A into Slot B, Warranty, Turning On Your Console," etc.)

Back