What we learned and did during the last 6 months

Unfortunately, we know this for quite a while now. They also never ever did what I suggested how it should be done but made it how THEY think it should be. Which lead to everything being too tight and a lot of other issues.
That sounds even worse than simply "lost in translation". :(
Would have saved you countless hours of tinkering onto case improvements if they would have done their job better. Or maybe their CAD Software was crap, who knows.

If the image uses the buggy U-boot, then the ports won't work. When I tried it not even a mouse did work (was using too much power according to the dmesg log)
The other USB ports might use a different host, as they worked for me as well. Only the big ones and the modem didn't work.

I haven't checked the features for the new modem yet.
Oh, why not use the stuff from LetuxOS instead?

PyraOS It's using the Letux Kernel sources, just have a need to compile in certain features like AUFS for DBP system, and likely a few other things that get left out in default kernel configurations.
Just off the shelf Debian armhf with a Pyra specific repo to handle custom comminity code like the DBP system, configuration changes and such..

@aTc could give a better explanation than anyone here.

Hi @EvilDragon :)

Could you please shed some light on what "our OS" is ? So far I fail to see how Debian, Letux + Pyra customizations all fit together.

Cheers, Magic Sam

As far as I know Letux is a kernel (the one we use) our OS is debian with additional pyra specific stuff, LetuxOS is another OS made by hns that also runs on the pyra but lacks "pyra specific stuff" and "debian stuff".

But please somebody correct me if Im wrong.

Basically what TrashyMG says

Thanks for the update!

Are there any plans to address the cracked case issue? pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/cracked-case-wasnt-expecting-it-so-soon.99413/

Oh, I totally missed that... haven't seen that on any other prototypes or units yet though. It's the GPD Win 2 issue (it commonly cracks there...)
I'll check back with the company.

Reactions: rSl
Oh, I totally missed that... haven't seen that on any other prototypes or units yet though. It's the GPD Win 2 issue (it commonly cracks there...)
My crack doesn't seem to be growing or causing an issue, fortunately. Which makes sense because where the crack is, the plastic would be getting squeezed by the outer part of the hinge.

PyraOS It's using the Letux Kernel sources, just have a need to compile in certain features like AUFS for DBP system, and likely a few other things that get left out in default kernel configurations.
Just off the shelf Debian armhf with a Pyra specific repo to handle custom comminity code like the DBP system, configuration changes and such..

@aTc could give a better explanation than anyone here.

Yeah, pretty much that.

It's not the GPD Win2 issue, it's the Pyra issue and that thread has been up for over six weeks and spent a week or more at the top of replies widget......

Yes, I've built a few test images of bullseye, by simple changing the debian sources from buster to bullseye, and almost everything seems to work without any major problems.
Except for zenity, which unfortunately is what the current first-run wizard is built on. Since zenity fails, the first-run will think you hit the "power off" option in the very first question, and shut down immediately.
I haven't checked in a while to see if it's fixed yet. (or if it's something to do with the OS image builder package cache picking the wrong version )
Although if someone were to rewrite the first run wizard that would be even better (The first-run wizard is bad by design, in the hopes of getting someone annoyed enough to write a better one).

Wow, @EvilDragon , what a legend you are. Any lessor entity would have succumbed by now, but you continue to power-on in your quest to bring us (and even improve!) the ultimate enthusiasts' hand-held ever created. I really hope you're getting more sleep these days.
When I read the tribulations you encounter, yet take in your stride, and the continued ramifications of an incompetent manufacturer, I think "you poor bastard", but, when I read about the unwavering dedication, the level of detail and care, and sense of responsibility you show towards resolving, and working-around, the challenges you face, for the sake of your backers/supporters/customers/beneficiaries, I know I can have absolute faith that when I place my order, I'll eventually get something amazing and wonderfully functional, and long-lived.
It sounds like you're continuing to invest more of your own income into development, despite costs spiraling up due to unfortunate world events. That is an amazing demonstration of dedication that I've never seen before (and expect no-one else would've either). It's the kind of thing I'd do, that's why it strikes me :) . I'm honestly gob-smacked when I read posts from nay-sayers (all-though, I haven't seen many lately :) ).

I think Mrs Dragon also deserves great praise for, firstly, understanding the passion and commitment you have towards this project and standing by you during the hard times, and, secondly, now even helping in the production of this epic development. She's obviously a good soul!

I wonder if there are still units left to pre-order or if there will be a new batch after the pre-orders are delivered. And, what would be most interesting, if additional pre-orders would support the cause?

Since Michael stumbled across so many hurdles and still keeps his head high and pushed the project forward, I wonder how likely a new CPU board would be after the development of the Pyra is final. And please forgive my lack of knowledge. But would it easily be possible to use the Pyra as a navigation device? This would influence my decision to get rid of my smartphone in favor of the Pyra.

Oh, one more thing. I could help assembling if that would logistically possible. I can solder SMT, I have a microscope, too. So replacing those resistors for the charging circuit would be possible to do for me.

Back