What Will Happen To All The Devs?

Despite wishful thinking, you're throwing two sharks into the same marketplace. Those sharks may be toothless and wear makeup, but they're still sharks, nonetheless; they will fight. I'm not sure what specific devs will move or not (no one is except them), but I'm hoping that the "war" between the Wiz and Pandora will hearken back to the Golden Age of the 16-bit era. Sure, Nintendo and Sega were at each other's throats for years, but it was a great time and each system was pushed to the limits due to the competition. :D

Peter R said:
The wiz and the Pandora are designed for completely different kinds of games, so of course there will be a split. Emulators, well that doesn't really matter.
It's not really as you put it at all. Any game that runs well on Wiz should run well on Pandora too - I can't think of a single reason why this wouldn't hold true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Peter R said:
The wiz and the Pandora are designed for completely different kinds of games, so of course there will be a split. Emulators, well that doesn't really matter.
It's not really as you put it at all. Any game that runs well on Wiz should run well on Pandora too - I can't think of a single reason why this wouldn't hold true.

copy protections :)

quasist said:
Exophase said:
Peter R said:

copy protections :)

Ah, so thats why my psp wont run .csos. :p

Those sharks may be toothless and wear makeup

lol drag queen sharks.

Exophase said:
Peter R said:

Because the Wiz is made for simpler games, the Pandora has that keyboard and all thos extra keys.

Not that i Dev much, but I plan on pure Pandora development.

My reasons:
1. I only have a limited amount of time, energy and money.
2. Hardware-wise, I can't see much advantage of the Wiz vs a GP2X / PSP.
3. In my closed source projects, I intend on pushing the hardware to it's limit.

However i agree, a community split is really not necessary. Both Scenes will benefit from each other, much like similar ones do at the moment.

I was actually on about the Wiz running pandora programs. It works both ways you know, it's not a one way relationship.
Probably true for a large number of ports... however it'll be harder for CPU or FPU dependant applications and anything that uses the DSP or OpenGL ES 2.0. The Wiz -> Pandora port should be easier.

Competition breeds excellence. Seriously the #1 problem facing devices like the gp2x, the wiz, and the pandora is the almost total lack of knowledge in the general population that such devices even exist. The more devices that are made the greater the public awareness and....
The more handhelds will come into being to satisfy the market.

As long as the devices in question focus on open source software in a large part then no matter what device you buy you win. Fans of each device will work to port anything cool on one device to "their" chosen device and everyone wins.

I personally chose not to chose :rolleyes:

I pre ordered the pandora. If the wiz was out now I'd have it also.

Think about this. Many popular emulators on the gp2x came from the psp scene, from the desktop ports and so on. The fact that one of them was primarily developed first only made it easier to get it on all the other applicable platforms.

Belthos

You cannot have everything...
Where would you put it??? :lol:

The Wiz would seem attractive to devs who want to reach a larger audience based on its lower cost and wider availability. Assuming the next Pandora shipment isnt 10000's units.

So long as there's a good selection of "improved" GP2X emu/homebrew ports and the odd original title, I'll have my expectations met with Wiz. Anything more will be icing.

I think a lot of people are expecting very big things from Pandora.

It'll be interesting to be see just how much software will take full advantage of the Pandora's more powerful hardware. Will there be piles of original homebrews that absolutely-cant-be-done on the less powerful machines?
It'd suck to have all that often quoted horsepower, and never see anything that really shows off the machine's capabilities beyond a 99.999% accurate PS1 emulator and yet another Quake3 port.

Well, I'm having fun porting my Reword game to the higher resolution and colours of the Pandora at the moment. And the fact that touch screen should just work! As it uses SDL it's fairly straight forward, but it's still giving me clues and ideas on how to write new games and keep them portable.

I intend to keep deving for GP2X and Pandora and maybe even Wiz if I get one. I like the idea of the games being available on many platforms (as do my workmates who run Reword on their PC's) and even if I don't have access to that platform (F200 for example, making touchscreen development difficult) I still expect most things to get ported between machines by interested parties or the authors themselves. I just love the diversity, and not just the emulators (great as they are).

I don't see many devs just abandoning a platform. It's more of a challenge that way.

Our developers don't get paid, they do it for fun! And as such I think they will mainly develop for the system they think is more fun. This can be a personal thing as I reckon we will all have our personal favourites. I bet in 2 years time the GP2X will still be seeing new games written for it, which I think is rather neat!

The fun aspect is why we're all here in the first place, as we enjoy these little devices! I don't think it's going to be a war between them and I hope we will have a broad spectrum of developers still producing excellent software across the board for a long time yet.

Cheers GP, GPH, OpenPandora and all the devs. You guys have given us all a lot of fun :)

The whole idea of a scene split is silly.

Some people get all worked up over nothing. I recall people hating the Zodiac because they feared it would take devs away from the GP32 scene. That didn't really happen, and neither will it here.

There will be some devs who choose one device over the other, maybe just because they have limited money or prefer something smaller (Wiz) or something with more features (Pandora). But inevitably popular apps will get cross ported (when possible) and each device will have its unique qualities.

But I think both will have healthy dev scenes here. They're really very different devices, enough to consider buying both (I may get a Wiz too).

As Craig said earlier - let's not have any drama over these two devices co-existing. Surely the majority of people in this scene have matured beyond such nonsense by now.

Back