What would you like to see?

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I plan creating some videos to show what the OMAP5 can do.

I got the idea when I read the thread where someone wondered how well the Pyra will be able to do websites.

Why discuss, when I could create a video?

So, what else would you like to see?

Keep in mind:

Mostly desktop stuff for now!

Our image doesn't have any 3D driver or similar included, and no hardware accelerated SDL like for the Pandora yet!

Got ideas?

the pyra slowing down. meaning of how much random stuff can you pile on until it starts to crawl. stuff like multiple browser tabs with flash/html5 videos, running as many single emulators at once, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, 

Libre Office - Please, open a big (~40- 50MB) document, spreadsheet, or PDF file.

As DaMummy said,

Internet Browsing - multiple tabs with heavy flash/html5 content and youtube.

Personally, I can barely decide! 

How about Internet related items, like heavy web browsing tasks?  I'm curious to see how well it can handle. 

Edit: Basically what Thinkpad and DaMummy said. 

-Glyph Reader

stuff like multiple browser tabs
Yes, many tabs please.  I currently have 19, and today is a light day.  That may be extreme, I don't know, but I would like to see a bunch on Firefox, with:

Libre Office - Please, open a big (~40- 50MB) document, spreadsheet, or PDF file.
This combination can be used to show someone doing research on the web and working on whatever it is they are working on.  Music might be nice too.  Can you also have Yakuake or something like it back there (feel free to use it for something while everything else is going on).  All of that together would be enough for me to stop using a laptop most of the time, especially if I can have tons of tabs.

I can probably think of another scenario, but it seems the initial requests include a lot of the same stuff.

Skipping around very fast in a playing video file,  That sort of thing lags my desktop sometimes.

Hmm x86 emulation would be very very cool. Maybe Heroes3, which wouldb e perfectly playable on the Pyra, would be a good game. Lots of russians, guys from poland and other "chess player states" still love this game. And Diablo2.

Edit: Heroes of Might and Magic 3 uses software rendering only AFAIK.

I plan creating some videos to show what the OMAP5 can do.

I got the idea when I read the thread where someone wondered how well the Pyra will be able to do websites.

Why discuss, when I could create a video?

So, what else would you like to see?

Keep in mind:

Mostly desktop stuff for now!

Our image doesn't have any 3D driver or similar included, and no hardware accelerated SDL like for the Pandora yet!

Got ideas?
"Desktop stuff" seems to be so or so no problem for todays CPUs. I would rather wait until the full HW graphics capacity of the OMAP5 is working and then impress with some 3D accelerated eye candy. :)  This brings attention and audience. It can be "dangerous" to promote such an powerful chipset like the OMAP5 with "just" normal desktop 2D stuff. We know that it can do much more but for the uninvolved people outside it can lead to a false impression. ^^"

Remember Microsoft failed first XBox One presentation where the focus was only "TV".  :rolleyes:

Have you got the LCD panels fully connected now, because I'd like to see what options you'd have with a HDMI output too - ie, can you duplicate the screen? can you extend the desktop over both screens? etc.

Yeah, show off the power of OMAP5 to see it can handle this video at 1:34 as Trashy's devboard couldn't handle it and crashed badly there.
I hit the ESC button..  The next part of that scene could of caused trouble for my Youtube account.

Image editing (e.g. GIMP). Some full image distortions/transformations or colour manipulations. Dragging layers with alpha around the canvas.

Stuff casual users might do:

1. Shopping searches on Amazon, Ebay or the like.
  2. Facebooking/Twittering or whatever the cool kids do. Those rascals.
  3. Reading an Ebook and/or typing up a quick document and maybe sending it out to a printer. 
  4. Phone call or showcasing the GPS.
  5. Maybe near the end of the video you can put the Pyra in your pocket(if you're filming with the prototype case) and swagger off, leaving a tablet or laptop in the backdrop behind.

Back