Whats the "killer app" going to be for the Pyra?

Halo: Combat Evolved. Heh, my favorite game of all time, that'd really be something 
no-cat.jpg

If there's ever an x86 module in the future that obvious "no" would turn into a yes pretty quick...
Yeah, really loving the "NO". A man can dream, it would be such an experience for me to be able to play my favorite game of all time on a handheld. 

Let a person like Halo..

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's ever an x86 module in the future that obvious "no" would turn into a yes pretty quick...
 I doubt that Baytrail has the specs to run Halo at good speeds.

Yeah, really loving the "NO". A man can dream, it would be such an experience for me to be able to play my favorite game of all time on a handheld.
Sure you can dream, but this topic posed a realistic question about what is going to draw people to the device. Your answer does not answer the question.

-God Ginrai

Its less demanding than farcry by a lot and that one appears to run acceptably. All the games from around the same generation as halo 1 on PC seems to run amazingly well actually.

Playing a (shitty) game from Microsoft on an open Linux handheld.

*mind blown*

Guys, the killer app is going to be a working Dwarf Fortress.... please...
Hardcore... only hardcore.

I recall this being called the N900 killer app :p
Now i get it why they started a neo900 project....

Windows 8 on Pyra!
Actually, Allwinner A80 supports WinRT

You mistyped vim B)
905astallman03.png

You, my son, have mistyped 'init 0'

Same as on any other platform: Emacs :p
An OS that require an other OS to operate is a bad OS :D
How can that be a killer app ?
Pass it to Linux as a init, and here you got a EMACS/Linux

You mistyped vim B)
No I didn't. Extensible VI Layer. Same keybindings, only the underlying platform is much better. Why choose when you can have both?
Same as on any other platform: Emacs :p
An OS that require an other OS to operate is a bad OS :D
How can that be a killer app ?
Linux and Windows are just device drivers, not operating systems :p
"Bootloaders"

Playing a (shitty) game from Microsoft on an open Linux handheld.

*mind blown*
 Hey, there's no need to insult people's favorite games...

You mean a port of a mac game. Halo was a game being developed by Bungie for Macs before Microsoft bought them and had them focus on their products.

-God Ginrai

You mean a port of a mac game. Halo was a game being developed by Bungie for Macs before Microsoft bought them and had them focus on their products.

Pulling strings here, It was being written for both Mac and Windows, then of course Microsoft decided to purchase Bungie and make it Xbox Exclusive until a few years later when they finally made the Windows port to showcase Microsoft's Gaming for Windows project.  The Mac version never came to be.

Honestly the killer app on a x86 pyra would be too numerous to count. Every app compatible with wine written within the last 20 years for PC includes quite a few to choose from. Could anyone identify the best application written for PC ever? That's a tough one. For an ARM pyra? I still think that there won't be any one app, game, or emulator that will make it the shining gem for the system, at least not like pcsx was for Pandora. The Pandora had the unique advantage of being the most powerful thing in its niche at the time it was released. The competition as far as open or non mainstream handhelds basically were a generation behind. With the pyra its shooting directly into the middle of current generation and comparable game things don't have any one killer app that Pandora can't really handle at all. It just generally does things better. I think that's what you are going to find with pyra. Just generally better than Pandora.

Back