When Is The Real Release Date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vorporeal said:
aesir911 said:
muchalucha said:
if i dont get my pandora by xmas i think im goan explode , / buy a touch book or smart q 5

Please! Please do not buy a smart q! Wait for a real tablet to come out. Satisfy your gaming urges with the onestation, dingoo, or gpx wiz!

Stop purposely multi-posting. You've done it multiple times in this thread, and once is already too much.

what on earth are you talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
He means to stop posting one post, then posting another one right after it. There is an edit button, you know. :rolleyes:

Defo said:
He means to stop posting one post, then posting another one right after it. There is an edit button, you know. :rolleyes:

They were meant for two different people, and two separate posts... <_< (This is my thread, so if you are anal about such things Vorporeal, you don't have to look at this thread) (I don't go posting up a storm on other people's threads...)

It's proper forum etiquette to make one post at a time, even if you need to address several people. It's easier to read, and it keeps your post count from being ridiculously high.

Also, you can't technically own threads, the GP32X guys own them. It's like the lockers at school. A privilege, not a right.

lulzfish said:
It's proper forum etiquette to make one post at a time, even if you need to address several people. It's easier to read, and it keeps your post count from being ridiculously high.

Also, you can't technically own threads, the GP32X guys own them. It's like the lockers at school. A privilege, not a right.

I know I don't own it. I'm just making the point that I started it (the question / thread) because I wanted to learn stuff, therefore I am more likely to post many times to learn as much as I can. I just found his comment very rude and unnecessary (he doesn't make any comments besides DON'T DO DAT'!). I've also seen some certified GP guru's do it, so it appeared to be fine by me...

I see the "everything is made in China, so it can't be bad" argument repeated ad nauseam, totally neglecting the fact that China produces a lot of crap too. They've gotten to where they are partly by producing that crap, and while the industry is still relatively young everyone still remembers the "Made in Hong Kong" label which was usually a guarantee of low quality. Because their productive capacity is so much greater, exporting is buffing their economy because the prices are comparatively low for the foreign companies who [ab]use the labour, and sometimes when you take the cheap route you do get what you paid for (in the cheap crap producing company's business plan that would be called optimization). I do think that OpenPandora did their research a bit better than that, but the belittling some people's arguably rational worries by the "iPhone was made in China" argument became a little pretentious about half a dozen posts ago.

I suppose the thing with good Chinese products (the big brand names that we know) is that the people overseeing them have a strong interest in making sure it's quality. At the other end of the scale are all the crap products made for a quick buck, by obscure Chinese companies. We won't know how good Pandora is until it's in our hands, but we do know they're taking the same approach that the big names do.

Anyone who has been around here long enough (or has read their Pandora history) will remember that before MWeston was in the picture, the task of PCB design was taken to China. As Craig tells it, the Chinese designers didn't really grasp the concept and just wanted to produce a quick PMP-type product. Despite the thousands they'd paid, they scrapped the design and looked for a better option. That pretty much sets the tone for how the whole project has been handled; they've consistently gone for the best option rather than the quick, cheap one. I don't think we've got anything to worry about.

aesir911 said:
(yes, cheap parts, bad labor, and long production times are all downers - I'm not saying there's no good aspects though)

Well, cheaper for OpenPandora and the customer would be a benefit, surely.

calc84maniac said:
craigix said:
You should probably get excited when you hear that Michael is in Dallas, which will be sometime in november.
All aboard the hype train!

6ps1sx.jpg

Time to round up any "on the fence" customers. Again.

Gruso said:
I suppose the thing with good Chinese products (the big brand names that we know) is that the people overseeing them have a strong interest in making sure it's quality. At the other end of the scale are all the crap products made for a quick buck, by obscure Chinese companies. We won't know how good Pandora is until it's in our hands, but we do know they're taking the same approach that the big names do.

I'm torn between disagreeing because SONY and Micro$oft and the like don't seem to care THAT much about design (or they'd have something with a keyboard plus analog and button gaming controls by now, for example) and disagreeing in the toher direction because unlike the big names, OpenPandora do not have someone at the factories in China overseeing the production.

Gruso said:
I suppose the thing with good Chinese products (the big brand names that we know) is that the people overseeing them have a strong interest in making sure it's quality.
Precisely.

Gruso said:
Despite the thousands they'd paid, they scrapped the design and looked for a better option. That pretty much sets the tone for how the whole project has been handled; they've consistently gone for the best option rather than the quick, cheap one. I don't think we've got anything to worry about.
And this.

aesir911 said:
lulzfish said:

I know I don't own it. I'm just making the point that I started it (the question / thread) because I wanted to learn stuff, therefore I am more likely to post many times to learn as much as I can. I just found his comment very rude and unnecessary (he doesn't make any comments besides DON'T DO DAT'!). I've also seen some certified GP guru's do it, so it appeared to be fine by me...

I was probably too harsh. There's nothing wrong with posting many times in your own thread, but when you've got two or more posts in a row, it just makes things cluttered. If you want to reply to more than one person, use the multi-quote feature (or just do it by hand, copying and pasting in the quote blocks).

P.S.: When I have something to add to the discussion, I do so. I didn't feel like I had anything to add to the topic itself, so I didn't make any comments. I only posted "DON'T DO DAT!" because posting back-to-back(-to-back?) multiple times in one thread is seriously in breach of forum etiquette. Next time I correct someone I'll make sure that I bring a kitty and a bundle of roses.

aesir911 said:
China owns the world. The United States is owned by them right now too, due to the "loans" we took from them. That is why they take so long at producing items!
Damn Chinese people, having a stable economy and stuff. And manufacturing things! How dare they!

Let's all be happy with this: At least we don't have to use Chinese cars, Brilliance BS6 crash test, anyone?

China will probably push the electric car on to the world at an affordable price though, the USA really need to get their act together on that or they might never recover the car industry.

Clive Sinclair must be spinning in his penthouse, screaming how he tried to tell everyone that the electric car was the way ahead in 1980.

Thinking about that, not far from where I live there is a company who have been making electric vans and trucks for years (smith electric I think) yet you never hear about them in the UK media. It's all Tesla, Toyota and that Gwiz crap. Slightly disgraceful.

Thinking about this even more maybe we should write uncle Clive a letter and see if he might come out of retirement to give the Pandora some publicity. The Pandora ZX89.

Exophase said:
MWeston said:
Have you ever dealt with companies in China? If not, then you won't understand why it is so hard to nail down actual dates. I can't even get a question answered for a different project that I started asking about back in September. It's like talking to a Genie that grants you one wish and then ignores you the rest of the week.

We have and I feel your pain. It's difficult even getting an order started with people who often don't even speak English and are sending you clearly machine translated e-mails, and you have to wait until 4AM your time to get a response. And those are just the geographical and language barriers. Although things have been made in China for a long time now I think it's relatively recent that they've all been on the open market like this and could legally export private goods to small businesses/individuals throughout the world. Actually it's impressive just how far they've come in such a short time, guess it's only a matter of time before they start dominating the entire tech industry..

I personally feel that increasing energy cost is going to make Chinese manufacturing far less competitive in the future. If it's true that oil production peaked in 2005 (and so far it has), as soon as the plateau gives way to decline and we are living in a world with less and less energy each year, shipping stuff all over the world looking for cheap labor is going to be shown for the bad idea that it was. In the past 10 years oil has gone up many times (to a high of 15x) and that was during a period where supply and demand didn't cross over and cause shortages. Imagine what shortages will do to the price of oil?

Chris

Exophase said:
aesir911 said:
Such as the dingoo, many ds games in circulation (pirates), and the gpx wiz? Yeah, I love China, I just hate how long they take...

The Wiz is made in South Korea, not China :| Get your crap straight. I can't believe you even mentioned pirate carts.

Last post it was about everything they make being done with cheap parts and bad labor, now it's about taking a long time? Damn near everything electronic that's more complex than a diode has a long lead time, welcome to the industry.

Some of the cheapest manufacturing in the world comes from China, but then some really well made stuff as well. China has been making PCB's well, for decades. Because nearly ALL of the junk in circulation comes from China, people just assume that everything that comes from China is junk, but some Chinese manufacturing is top notch. Unfortunately, the newest most modern manufacturing facilities are in China right now.Hopefully that will change as we go forward, at least for some stuff. Clearly, shipping concrete, steel and other heavy products all over the world is going to become prohibitively expensive.

craigix said:
China will probably push the electric car on to the world at an affordable price though, the USA really need to get their act together on that or they might never recover the car industry.

Clive Sinclair must be spinning in his penthouse, screaming how he tried to tell everyone that the electric car was the way ahead in 1980.

Thinking about that, not far from where I live there is a company who have been making electric vans and trucks for years (smith electric I think) yet you never hear about them in the UK media. It's all Tesla, Toyota and that Gwiz crap. Slightly disgraceful.

Thinking about this even more maybe we should write uncle Clive a letter and see if he might come out of retirement to give the Pandora some publicity. The Pandora ZX89.
confirmed. the pandora 2 will be a car with nubs instead of a steering wheel!

craigix said:
There is a date in November that the 4000 should be finished on, but no one dares to post it.

The 30th would be good enough, in my opinion.

But, for clarification, are we talking about November of this year?

VRAndy said:
The 30th would be good enough, in my opinion.

But, for clarification, are we talking about November of this year?

Oh gosh. don't even joke about that... it better be this year...

I'm still hoping that if the cases are okay the first Pandora can be shipped this month, it will be more of a ceremonial thing than a mass shipment. It's very likely those first units are going to go to the devs who have put in so much excellent work thus far.

How fast can assembly happen once all the materials are on hand? Is it a considerable amount of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back