When Is The Real Release Date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
atomicthumbs said:
Why not just have a button that says "Download Media Player"?
Or a welcome application (even if it's just a bunch of HTML documents) that tells you what the Pandora is capable of and gives you a bunch of shortcuts to directly install a media player, Enlightenment, various emulators etc. Have the media player entry read something like: "Due to licensing restrictions, we can't ship a media player with the Pandora. However if you're connected to the internet you can easily install one, for exmple by clicking here."

Of course this implies that before you get to that step, the welcome app has already walked you through configuring your WLAN.

I'd expect to see this kind of polish not before the second batch, though. After all, the first batch is there in part so we can help polish the platform for everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
Why not just have a button that says "Download Media Player"?
Because (as was explained to me when I made a similar suggestion), making an official statement telling someone where to get something is legally the same as giving it to them directly, at least in this case.
It then became a question of "how can we tell the user they need to download the right codecs without actually telling them they need to download the right codecs?"
The answer is to tell them they need to download a media player, without telling them why, and only vaguely where (ie, "Media players can be downloaded from the repository" and nothing more)

edit:
Na-Noo said:
Errrr what, when did I say it was better?
Yeah, sorry. I was reading too much into your statements, thinking by saying "this isn't good" to imply that "the other way is good", or at the least "the other way is less not good". I was in a bit of a rush, and wasn't putting things together properly.

The mplayer thing is almost a non-issue for the case of the first two batches anyway. It's just an FYI from Craig. Licensing is expensive, Chinese PMP companies are a growing part of the black market (not all actually but many). It's a Linux device after all so theres many accessible ways around it.

It'll probably all end the same way as Fedora is right now. You have the official Fedora repos and then you add RPMFusion because most people want to play MP3 files and DivX encoded videos. It's by no means a bother, you just have to click a button and everything configures itself

What is stalling the Pandora release, is it that they have run out of money and is that the reason why we have to pre pay for it

RedBaron said:
What is stalling the Pandora release, is it that they have run out of money and is that the reason why we have to pre pay for it

uh-oh. watch out. prepare to be torn to shreds...

Gruso said:
Release isn't "stalled". This is just how long it takes to make something like this.

Why edit to make the font bigger?
He is yelling because everyone is ignoring him.

Gruso said:
Release isn't "stalled". This is just how long it takes to make something like this.

Actually you are wrong because I use to be a electronics design engineer and this project should have taken less than 4 months from conception to on the shelf, I have dun more complicated projects in 6 weeks
So why the delay
The font bigger because I am sick of wating

RedBaron said:
They just wanted your money, it's true

RedBaron said:
Gruso said:

Actually you are wrong because I use to be a electronics design engineer and this project should have taken less than 4 months from conception to on the shelf, I have dun more complicated projects in 6 weeks
So why the delay
Actually you are wrong because I used to be the emperor of France and we had many projects that we could complete in less time than this project and it's really impressive that they've managed to take this long to do a project and really why don't they just get the French to do it it's because they're British that it's taking so long it wouldn't have taken me any time at all, I should have it by now.

RedBaron said:
Gruso said:

So why the delay

finally, someone who posts with guts. thank you!

aesir911 said:
RedBaron said:
Gruso said:

So why the delay

finally, someone who posts with guts. thank you!
Speak the word of the people my brothas! You're the next malcom x!

rabidpoobear said:
RedBaron said:
Gruso said:

So why the delay
Actually you are wrong because I used to be the emperor of France and we had many projects that we could complete in less time than this project and it's really impressive that they've managed to take this long to do a project and really why don't they just get the French to do it it's because they're British that it's taking so long it wouldn't have taken me any time at all, I should have it by now.

Ok Napoleon I still say they have run out of money or this is a job on the side

RedBaron said:
rabidpoobear said:
RedBaron said:
Gruso said:

So why the delay

Well, word around the grapevine is that OP is involved in a drug smuggling operation and the Pandora is just a front, but after a bad heroin bust they lost the money to continue the front-op so they just turned it into a facade, but don't listen to all that, that's just a rumor... officially

RedBaron said:
Gruso said:

So why the delay
Well, within four months time of starting to do the hardware layout, we HAD a working board that ran Linux and played games but what kind of dipshit would go into production at that point without doing any serious testing and software work? Probably the same person who would double their text font size to get attention. Bigger projects in six weeks; What a load! Thanks for trolling.

RedBaron said:

(come on, throw out the scam line...)

RedBaron said:
rabidpoobear said:
RedBaron said:
Gruso said:

So why the delay

Of course it's a job on the side. There's no way 4 normal people could pull off a project like this without actually making money somehow.

Also, you're probably no longer an electronics design engineer because you rushed projects to completion and got fired for having terrible QC results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back