When The Pandora Cums

LuvClub said:
So us "First Batchers" aren't getting anything "special" anymore apart from maybe getting the Pandora "earlier"?
i know! put "first batch" on the sticker behind the battery :ph34r:

cmon i know you think its a good idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha2 said:
a little of Craig's blood will be on every cpu.
Wow that actually sounds like the best idea I've heard all night, but even if it was a tiny bit of blood mixed from all the devs, I don't think they'd have enough for themselves.

Its a disappointment but its about time we get the device... 22 of March (20 days) is a lot longer then we where originally lead to believe. I don't think these forums can wait two more months at this point.

Crunchwrap said:
Alpha2 said:
Wow that actually sounds like the best idea I've heard all night, but even if it was a tiny bit of blood mixed from all the devs, I don't think they'd have enough for themselves.
Actually... the average human has around 5 L of blood (source). Let's say each Pandora should contain 1 mL of blood. That means that each of the 4 main devs would only need to donate 1 L of blood each, which is quite survivable. However, it might lead to weakness and fatigue, reducing their ability to quickly assemble Pandoras and leading to more delays. :(

Maybe some of the developers or forum moderators from the UK could help out to stretch things a bit?

so how hard would it have been to take away the silkscreen and include all the letters and/or symbols as part of the case molds?

Alpha2 said:

That's actually part of their master plan. Once all 4000 Pandoras are turned on simultaneously, the demon lord Yplkzoth will wake from his slumber and plunge the world into ten millennia of darkness. Of course, there needs to be blood from each of the team members contained in each Pandora to bind them together or else the ritual could not possibly succeed.

It's basically the same plan that KISS used in their curse on Lynyrd Skynyrd.

DaMummy said:
so how hard would it have been to take away the silkscreen and include all the letters and/or symbols as part of the case molds?

Longer than I would want to wait. It took at least 2 weeks to "shave" each mold slightly. I would bet adding metal to the mold to get lettering (quality lettering, at least) would take longer than that, if it's even feasible.

I would rather engrave those letterings myself. All it would take is a fine-tipped dremel.

I can't say I'm not at least somewhat disappointed. It's not even about whether it's necessary or not, it just had this "feeling" of being more complete with the silkscreening. I look at my DS: power, headphones, volume, are marked (not the LEDs though). My camera is fully labeled. My RC truck is mostly labeled. My speakers and wireless headphones are labeled. I look around, everything seems to have at least some form of silk screening, whether they need it or not. I realize we don't need the power switch to be marked, but it feels odd when I think about it compared to all the other electronics I have that do have it marked.
Don't get me wrong, if the silk screening really would add such a delay then I believe you made the right choice, the same choice I would have made, but that doesn't necessarily make it "right", you know? I'm sure we'll get used to it though, and those that didn't want silk screening at all will at least be happy.
At least the important information is kept somewhere it can be accessed in the future.

It'll probably be added to the second batch Pandoras to be more professional. Just think; unlabeled Pandoras will be the first batch trademark! No harm done.

I would have liked to have seen the silkscreen as well, but there's honestly no need..

MWeston said:
Well then, prepare to be disappointed. These cases will not have a silkscreen as that would push delivery out into April and even then Craig worried they would screw it up and stiff us with the cases. The problem is the mold company outsources the work and so they all have to be packaged up carefully, sent to this other company, printed, repackaged carefully and sent back to the mold company to be shipped to Craig with everything else. It could cause as much as another month of delays with the way we should trust them.

I built a unit using a silk screened case and I really liked it but the truth is, 10 minutes after using it, the silkscreen is forgotten and you don't even notice it anymore. The way you normally hold it in the 170 degree open position means you can't see any of it anyway. The LEDs are also color coded so maybe that helps too. The sticker under the battery with serial number and model number also has all the voltage and current details for the unit so in a way, not having that on the back is covered. I don't know if any of this is comforting but it's an unfortunate result of a product that can't afford more delays.
It's cumforting MWeston, thank you! Thank you for your voice of reason about 10 minutes. I had the same thoughts but people want bling and I see this thing in black more bling than some punk silkscreen.

ROCK ON!!

BONG HITS FOR EVERYONE!

Link

theo nly way to make up is...
CADBURY CARAMEL CHOCOLATE STRAIGHT FROM THE SOURCE!!
^^^^^pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaseeeeeee

Well, I think the most important part of MWeston's post is that not only would it cause delays, but there's also the chance that they will screw up the silkscreening and then we're all stuck with a bunch of bad cases. Considering this case company's track record, I would say that that chance is quite likely.

Anyways, for anyone concerned that we aren't getting anything to prove that we're first-batchers; the CPU's being used in this batch of pandoras were bought before TI started testing the chips and selling ones rated at 750MHz or whatever it was, so it's possible that the first batch will overclock far better that subsequent batches. This won't be apparent from looking at the devices even if, of course, but it's something to differentiate them, maybe. It really would be nice if there was something written somewhere though. And frankly, I'd rather the next batches DID overclock well still, because otherwise the pandora will not be quite as good for anyone buying it after us.

Alpha2 said:
if it were that particularly easy they wouldnt be worried about getting it done quickly.
What part of Chinese logistics haven't you figured out yet genius?

Go cry in your corner with your Optimus Prime, take a few LEDs with you and a sharpie so you can figure out which is which.

Let's Roll!

Joints,

Link

Tom` said:
Crunchwrap said:
Alpha2 said:
Actually... the average human has around 5 L of blood (source). Let's say each Pandora should contain 1 mL of blood. That means that each of the 4 main devs would only need to donate 1 L of blood each, which is quite survivable. However, it might lead to weakness and fatigue, reducing their ability to quickly assemble Pandoras and leading to more delays. :(

Maybe some of the developers or forum moderators from the UK could help out to stretch things a bit?

Good, but 1ml of blood is quite a lot since 1 drop of blood is less then 0.05 ml. Each dev woould only need to donate 50 ml if every pandora should have 1 drop. When you donate blood for medical reasons you give 450ml so weakness and fatigue is not the problem here. There are other reasons that this is not such a good idea.

Back