Where are we now?

As my Notebook is from 2011, and Windows 10 put it a bit on the slow side, i want to use my Pyra as my main Notebook for some Office Work, Internet, etc, whit HDMI and Mouse /Keyboard at home, and only whit Internal Keyboard/Nubs and Build In Display on the road...

Also a lot of Retro Gaming, lots of Gameboy, SNES, NES, and Playstation and so on, but also Dreamcast this Time..

Dit allready some Office Work on my Pandora back them, worked good, but its too slow for Internet Things..

Im also hoping that the Free Ebook Manager Calibre also gets its Port on the Pyra, so i can put some free stuff on my Kindle..

My Pandora is currently my EDC Handheld, its great to have this Stuff in Pocket, so i can par exemple play some Medical Themed Games on the Waiting Room at the Doktor, like Doctor Mario or Trauma Center ^^,

So my Pyra will be the Same; a Whole small Computer thats fits in your pocket and also works as a Gaming Device..

and Windows 10 put it a bit on the slow side
Windows10 puts everything into the slowside by disabling those fast but unsecure CPU tricks.I've taken a 10% hit in performance on my laptops. Why notinstall a lean Linux on there and get that power back?

Reactions: rSl
I have also Ubuntu on this thing, but for things like ITunes, it’s needs a Windows..
and I wanted to try if it’s even runs..
mybe I just need to tweak it a bit, but as I plan to use my Pyra for everything, I think I will put the Notebook on my Storage.. ^^

Whit best regards, Matthias

Windows10 puts everything into the slowside by disabling those fast but unsecure CPU tricks.I've taken a 10% hit in performance on my laptops. Why notinstall a lean Linux on there and get that power back?

I would. but... y'know. It's Linux. That thing's fine for handhelds and raspberry pi's but it's just not ready for desktop work yet, you know?

Laugh reacting to this from a laptop that came with Linux out of the box.
Ditto, I game on my System76 Oryx Pro 3b!
Post automatically merged:

I don't really understand either. Unless you want to play Windows only games, or need to use some in-house software. I haven't needed Windows for anything but gaming for a long time.
Honestly, Wine/Proton are at the point that unless it's really quirky (Space Engineers) or DRM heavy (Which I refuse to play anyway) Windows games just work on Linux in my experience.

Last edited:
Linux is great for a Handheld, i had once the GPD Win whit me on the Hair Stylist Waiting Edge, and i wantet to play some Tetris,
but unfortunaly, its got a Mandatory Update for Windows 10, so it wasnt useble until i had my Hair cut, and then i put it back in my Pockets and decides to go back to Linux (Pandora)..

On the internet there are plenty of horror stories with bad timing of Windows updates as the main villain. I do not use Windows, but an OS that keeps nagging the user for updates or just starts an update without the user's approval seems really annoying to me. I'm glad that NixOS updates when I want to and only when I want to.

Even worse is the Windows 10 "upgrade" fiasco, where people where forced to "upgrade" to Windows 10. My grandpa was victim of that. Good old MS taking control away from the user. They're still the same even after all those decades.

Actually on Win 10 you can posticipate updates for 30 days, and after that time you can posticipate for other 30 days, etc... but you'll have to do this BEFORE an update is starting.
Then when you are finally ready to update, just go to Windows Update, press the button and find something else to pass the time.

Only 30 days? On NixOS I can postpone it for up to an eternity. And unlike Windows, they've never forced their users to upgrade using a bait-and-switch scam. Not that it would matter, because unlike Windows, NixOS has easy rollbacks.

Back