Which Developers Are Getting A Free Pandora?

If there is a list of devs who may recieve a Pandora, torpor sounds like he is gonna make some cool audio stuff happen, so I would definitley vote for him. That is if anyone is taking votes.

Imagine the awesomeness of having a web browser, games, productivity apps AND a DAW and some sequencer and effects software for making tunes in your pocket? If he ever manages to make usb sound cards work with the Pandora (fast track Ultra), I for one will be a very happy dude :)

sold said:
Imagine the awesomeness of having a web browser, games, productivity apps AND a DAW and some sequencer and effects software for making tunes in your pocket? If he ever manages to make usb sound cards work with the Pandora (fast track Ultra), I for one will be a very happy dude :)
Fast track should just work out of the box, shouldn't it?
I didn't think you needed drivers for USB audio devices anymore, isn't that the point of the USB Audio Device spec or whatever?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found that FUSE has been ported to Maemo so it should work for Pandora? The source code is available too, (and he has ported a Last.fm client to maemo too, not sure if that's useful), here:

http://people.igalia.com/berto/

Dunny said:
1. ZXSpin - an emulator which, although insanely accurate, is written mostly in x86 asm and Delphi. Porting that would be very difficult indeed, and would be a case of "take what I know about the z80 and rewrite it". The state of Speccy emulation on the GP2X and Wiz is pretty shockingly bad at the moment, so this is something I might actually do.

Are there really no comparably accurate ZX emulators written in portable and open C/C++? With something like 50 ZX Spectrum emulators out there I would definitely have expected it. How is Fuse? I see you've personally mentioned porting it before.
[/quote]

Adventus said:
Arrgg. Now i feel bad for getting a prototype. :)

No reason to feel bad. Like with most things, what you receive is not recognition of hard work or even merit. You get a Pandora because you're actively working on things that are largely important to Pandora's developers, and more importantly, extremely important to the user base. N64 emulation is basically center-stage before everything else in these parts (slightly to my chagrin). Having your hands in DC emulation is just icing on the cake.

Me, I think receiving free hardware is more burdensome than rewarding. I think I'd rather pay the X hundred dollars than basically feel obliged to churn out something meaningful. But then again, if I may be totally honest, I'm not really that into gadgets anyway. Oh, don't get me wrong, I think they're very interesting from a technical point of view and I think Pandora is a very good idea and good design. I'm just at most tangentially interested in just about anything in life.

Adventus said:
Arrgg. Now i feel bad for getting a prototype. :)

*whip crack* WORK SLAVE! *whip crack*

Seriously, though as much as everyone wants to imagine you to be coding nonstop, you're free to do whatever you want. Also, I figure most people would be happy if you made a video or posted some nifty pictures.

Enjoy your Pandora and then taunt us on the forums with what you've been doing on it while we burn with jealousy.

Thanks for the vote you guys, but I've already been told that I'll be in the very first batch of MP Pandoras that Craig&co will ship out, as my order # is already ridiculously (<20) low .. as much as I'd love to have been in the select few devs who received their Pandoras first, I'll still be working as hard as I can as soon as I get the real devices in my hands, anyway, so hopefully by the time the larger community starts to see their Pandoras showing up, I'll already have a release of my music apps done .. I've been preparing all the while (got a Touchbook just to keep me happy until the Pandora arrived) so don't worry: I'm at the gates and I've got my shiny pants on! :)

The plan is to get USB-MIDI working ASAP (gotta really work on the PandoraOS side of things for this to be as smooth as I like) so that you can plug a USBMIDI class cable, or something like the Korg Nano controllers, into the Pandora and use it to control your devices with good ol' MIDI, then get seq24 working (already ported to TB OS), so that right away the Pandora is a portable MIDI sequencer.

Then I'll work on getting some of the more interesting stuff working right away, like Puredata and CSound and so on .. I already have a lot of this stuff working on the TouchbookOS and Beagleboard, but I really want to make sure its all integrated and smooth for the Pandora, packed into PND files and so on, icons, pretty pictures and some demo videos, so that its a pleasant music-making experience. aconnectgui and so on would also be needed, as well as the standard MIDI monitor app and so on. If you guys think of other apps, please let me know, as I hope to be really helping focus the DAW/Music-making apps side of things for Pandora.

I know there are some other folks also hanging out to get the Pandora for music-making purposes .. we'll see some Trackers ported pretty much straight away, and I hope to help with that as possible. I know that LittlePiggy will probably be a very quick port, nostromo is usually pretty hot for the GP32/GP2X/Wiz scene, and I know he's aware of the Pandora, if not fully tracking its development in lurker mode.

And once the OS-level integration stuff is working and we have good MIDI/Audio performance, I'll be dropping a few surprises in the form of a little subtractive synth I've written *exclusively* for the Pandora in mind, with its lovely keys and controllers .. ;)

So yeah, count me in the dev group who can't wait to get a real Pandora in their hands so we can get some of this music-making functionality really streamlined and smooth!

torpor said:
And once the OS-level integration stuff is working and we have good MIDI/Audio performance, I'll be dropping a few surprises in the form of a little subtractive synth I've written *exclusively* for the Pandora in mind, with its lovely keys and controllers .. ;)

So yeah, count me in the dev group who can't wait to get a real Pandora in their hands so we can get some of this music-making functionality really streamlined and smooth!
Man when I look at the current state of music hardware and then I look at the Pandora, I can't get over how good of a value it is! Even as simply a controller it's alarmingly good (the KaossPad3 has a lower-resolution (like 16x16 pixels), smaller screen than the Pandora, and way fewer buttons, no integrated speaker, no microphone, etc.) and is basically drastically inferior in every way (except perhaps ruggedness) and it's the same price as a Pandora! Add on to that that the Pandora's got a ridiculously fast processor (compared to what we've got in normal music hardware) it's just absurd. That market alone should be going crazy about the Pandora (and I've got a feeling they will soon - once they see the stuff you and other devs do for music apps - especially with a dedicated OS). Heck, you can tie the touch screen coords to SuperCollider or some other synth and have a product twice as good as the kaoss pad in like one day. (Okay obviously an exaggeration, the KP's are actually quite polished and fun to play with but they're still missing a lot by way of intuitive UI (eg. it's hard to tell what synth setting you're on or to beatmap long sequences - would be easy on a 800x480 screen)).

Oh and I forgot about the Wifi, Bluetooth, USB.... I seriously need my Pandora soon, I can't contain my excitement much longer (been holding it in since Sept '08, ordered a couple hours after you :) )

Exophase said:
...when I was inbetween employment....

So what does a smart guy like you do for a living? Also, wasn't there a rumor going on a while back in some thread that you were working on some super secret project? :p

Exophase said:
But then again, if I may be totally honest, I'm not really that into gadgets anyway. Oh, don't get me wrong, I think they're very interesting from a technical point of view and I think Pandora is a very good idea and good design. I'm just at most tangentially interested in just about anything in life.

You clearly are a proficient programmer and have deep knowledge of embedded architectures. You don't become that good in those things without having some passion ;) .

Back