Which Mouse

r10crw

Still Fresh
Can anyone recomend a mouse for my Pandora?
Been through all the USB compatability list but no mention of mice? I have a wireless mouse with dongle which is virtually brand new so had assumed it was USB2 but Ive no idea if I need to install drivers to get it working.
Cheers Craig.

I've tried several mice, but none of them worked by directly plugging them in. I hear using a usb-hub works but I haven't yet tried it.

Most input devices like basic keyboards & mice do not usually need drivers.

All USB mice should work. I've never heard of a real USB2.0 mouse though, so you'll have to go through a hub.
To test your wireless mouse, simply open a terminal, plug it in, and type "dmesg". If the last line that appears is something like "could not enumerate..." then it's a USB1.1 device, and has in fact crashed the USB host and you'll need to restart. Otherwise it'll say something about loading a Human Interface Device or something like that, and it should just work.

WizardStan said:
To test your wireless mouse, simply open a terminal, plug it in, and type "dmesg". If the last line that appears is something like "could not enumerate..." then it's a USB1.1 device, and has in fact crashed the USB host and you'll need to restart. Otherwise it'll say something about loading a Human Interface Device or something like that, and it should just work.
Or umm... move the mouse and see if the pointer follows ;-) If it doesn't work, then do the terminal thing to troubleshoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for the replies. Anyone able to recomend a blueooth mouse that works? I dont like the idea of using a hub just so I can play cannon fodder!

I actually have a mouse that works without a hub; I've never seen a usb2 keyboard, they're all 1.1 .. but at some point the usb 2 chips will be less costly than 1.1, and everything will just be 2.0 :)

Anyway, find USB 2.0 devices if you can otherwise its the hub for you..

I will have to check, butI think my mouse is a logitech or microsoft .. really teeny one. Thats not useful information, but they do exist :)

jeff

On a side note, is there something like an adapter that's physically smaller than a hub and preferrably without any cables, but does manage to provide USB 2.0?

Is 1.1 indicated by Device Bus Speed: Full?

skeezix said:
I actually have a mouse that works without a hub; I've never seen a usb2 keyboard, they're all 1.1
My parents have a USB2.0 keyboard by virtue of the fact that it is also a 2 port USB2.0 hub. The keyboard itself is probably just a 1.1 controller plugged into an internal 3 port USB2.0 hub (with 2 ports left exposed), but it's all the same as far as the Pandora is concerned.

edit:
kuru said:
On a side note, is there something like an adapter that's physically smaller than a hub and preferrably without any cables, but does manage to provide USB 2.0?
Off the top of my head, I know someone posted some "splitter" things which were basically 2 port hubs in a 3 inch cable. You could use one of those as is and plug two things in, or cut off one of the leads and just have a 3 inch "adapter" cable.
Alternatively (superiorly), get a cheap adapter for the OTG port.

The USB terminology is totally fubar, very difficult to know what the heck you're getting unless you pull up the spec 10 seconds prior to buying, I find. My brain is too full to remember such silly details when you only need to know once every 6mo :/

jeff

Seems like 1.1 is sull speed and 2.0 is high speed. Same nonsense as high density and double density for those good old floppies :p

There's a windows tool called USBview which lets you examine everything that's connected to your USB hosts. Somewhere in that info is "device class speed:". I bet it's easier to determin the class on Linux (lsusb? dmesg?) but this could help windoze users.

I've tried a wireless USB mouse and a wirless one (both Microsoft). Neither worked until I went through a hub. At that point all pointer control goes completely over to the mouse alone (the nubs no longer function until the Pandora is rebooted). It's not been a major deal for me as I've only been using the mouse for some games (like indeed Cannon Fodder 1+2, for which it is great:D)

skeezix said:
I will have to check, butI think my mouse is a logitech or microsoft .. really teeny one. Thats not useful information, but they do exist :)

jeff

Ooh, it's not a Logitech VX Nano is it? 'cause I have one of those. So that would be incredibly great.

kuru said:
Seems like 1.1 is sull speed and 2.0 is high speed. Same nonsense as high density and double density for those good old floppies :p

Ahh, the old floppies. Anyone else remember buying ultra cheapo disks (single density?) and using a stanley knife to cut the corner off it to make it a double density disk?

Yep bought a hub and its working fine. Have the problem that its the end of the nubs until reset to default settings. No biggie.
Cheers Craig.

CraigW said:
Cool, thanks for the replies. Anyone able to recomend a blueooth mouse that works? I dont like the idea of using a hub just so I can play cannon fodder!

This one works fine for me : MS Notebook 5000.

Ironically it was easier to pair it with the Pandora than with my Win7 media PC.

Thanks Mr loon, Ill look at getting that as the hub is a bit of a PITA.
Maybe a mod could link this into the compatability lists?

Back