Which websites should we advertise on

How about Defective By Design? They've already mentioned the Pandora before (to contrast it to the DSi's DRM-ridden nature), so maybe they'd be interested in promoting it now that it's available.

^ Is a group that are highly likely to dismiss the device due to binary blobs and DRM-features on the SoC, and which appears to tend towards using falsehoods and grasping at straws in order to further their campaign (see their claims about 3DS bricking, which are actually untrue and were debunked quite some time before Defective By Design latched onto that particular myth, for example), really something that we should want the Pandora associated with?

Last edited by a moderator:
GameFAQs

You could also send 1 Pandora to GameTrailers.com to have them review it.

[Defective By Design is] highly likely to dismiss the device due to binary blobs and DRM-features on the SoC

Like I said, they already mentioned it before. You're thinking of the FSF as a whole. Defective By Design is focused on opposing DRM, not proprietary software. They've written positively about the original DS, and that is a device that includes and is intended to work with proprietary software. The Pandora is hardly a stretch for them to support when a huge purpose of it is to allow users to use it how they want.

and [they appear] to tend towards using falsehoods and grasping at straws in order to further their campaign (see their claims about 3DS bricking, which are actually untrue and were debunked quite some time before Defective By Design latched onto that particular myth, for example)

I looked it up (search phrase "3ds brick" on DuckDuckGo) and all I saw was a bunch of confirmation and a forum post. I'm not interested in arguing, but I just don't see how it's as clear-cut in opposition to the "they can brick it" position as you make it out to be. You got a link?

Also, given Nintendo's long history of trying to control what can be run on their home consoles (e.g. 10NES chip), it doesn't strike me as surprising or unbelievable at all that they're going to try to control what you can do on their handheld systems now.

it doesn't strike me as surprising or unbelievable at all that they're going to try to control what you can do on their handheld systems now.

they've always done that, they were just rather unsuccessfull before...

[Defective By Design is] highly likely to dismiss the device due to binary blobs and DRM-features on the SoC

Like I said, they already mentioned it before. You're thinking of the FSF as a whole. Defective By Design is focused on opposing DRM, not proprietary software.
No, I am very much thinking of Defective By Design, who came around here very specifically asking about proprietary software on the device in February of this year. ;)

I looked it up (search phrase "3ds brick" on DuckDuckGo) and all I saw was a bunch of confirmation and a forum post. I'm not interested in arguing, but I just don't see how it's as clear-cut in opposition to the "they can brick it" position as you make it out to be. You got a link?

Also, given Nintendo's long history of trying to control what can be run on their home consoles (e.g. 10NES chip), it doesn't strike me as surprising or unbelievable at all that they're going to try to control what you can do on their handheld systems now.
Yeah, I've got a link. Nintendo went on record stating that they can't and don't brick consoles.

The whole myth came about because some folks misunderstood the warnings that tampering with a device prior to flashing new firmware can render it unusable (a bit of boilerplate that applies just about any device which can be flashed, not just the 3DS, and which most companies issue in some form when issuing updates, not just Nintendo, by far), and thus some remarkable silliness was born. :lol:

(Also, be careful not to fall for the FSF front-group's misleading reporting about the 3DS... Some of the things they've gotten in a tizzy about are just boilerplate that's standard for just one nation and doesn't even apply to the rest of the world, but you wouldn't believe the way that some folks have fallen for their blanket statements and think that they apply globally...)

I know the guys behandeling www.gamekings.tv and www.teamhww.nl I'm pretty sure the other Dutchies on this forum will agree they have huge exposure.

One of the regular reviewers (Vasco) is a good friend of mine and Steven is often in my bar.

I can pretty much guarantee free exposure if they can hold a unit for while and I'd be surprised if they don't do a video review.

As soon as I get mine they'll get to play with that one but if you wish to speed up the process I'd advice you to lend them a 1ghz unit.

I sent both you and ED pm's about this ages ago but neither bothered to reply. If you want this exposure send me a pm and we'll set it up.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk

No, I am very much thinking of Defective By Design, who came around here very specifically asking about proprietary software on the device in February of this year. ;)

I saw this in his post:

If such proprietary software is included, as it is with many devices, please let me know if such software is essential to the use of the device or just something which is required for a particular task, such as Wifi or 3D graphics accelleration.

That suggests to me that it only kills the Pandora as a recommendation if the nonfree parts are non-essential (and they are).

But that does bring up an important point: they've already made the consideration, so it might be fruitless to ask them.

Don't feel too comfortable with that. Nintendo said there that it hasn't bricked a device (and sort of implied that it won't), not that it can't. If it's true that it allows you to decide whether you want the update, that helps, but it really says nothing of backdoors.

(Also, be careful not to fall for the FSF front-group's misleading reporting about the 3DS... Some of the things they've gotten in a tizzy about are just boilerplate that's standard for just one nation and doesn't even apply to the rest of the world, but you wouldn't believe the way that some folks have fallen for their blanket statements and think that they apply globally...)

Any examples, out of curiosity?

^ I'm as uninterested in yourself about arguing, but a couple of quick ones off of the top of my head include the age-restriction on who should be creating content on the device (for the US units, it is suggested that children not do so), and the thing about who rights for content transmitted over various services on the device belong to. Both are present only in the US terms & conditions, but not those elsewhere, but the FSF/DBD "conveniently" fail to mention this fact.

Anyway, I'm perfectly comfortable with the statement that was quoted. I trust that much much more than a group that seems to think that sending stupid items to people is grown-up and makes a point (well, it does make a point - just not the one that they seem to think it does). ;)

But, I'm getting way off-track here, so that's all I have to say. :p

I know the guys behandeling www.gamekings.tv and www.teamhww.nl I'm pretty sure the other Dutchies on this forum will agree they have huge exposure.

One of the regular reviewers (Vasco) is a good friend of mine and Steven is often in my bar.

I can pretty much guarantee free exposure if they can hold a unit for while and I'd be surprised if they don't do a video review.

As soon as I get mine they'll get to play with that one but if you wish to speed up the process I'd advice you to lend them a 1ghz unit.

I sent both you and ED pm's about this ages ago but neither bothered to reply. If you want this exposure send me a pm and we'll set it up.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk

I just double checked if they would do a review if a unit was made available to them on loan and the answer was "Yes, absolutely"

Thinkgeek.com seriously

I agree they should be sold there, but I didn't see any ads on the page (excepting the stuff they sell).

I would have said engadget, slashdot, gizmodo, ars technica, and maybe even lifehacker, but a quick glance reveals they don't have ads either. Kotaku is blocked at my job, so I can't check right now, but I would bet they also don't have ads.

Maybe you can get some of those sites to run a stories on the Pandora? I know Pandora has been on engadget a couple of times.

Zuk... you sure you don't have any ad blockers? I just went to Ars Technica and they have 2 ads right on the home page... I used to frequent Slashdot and they had plenty of ads as well.

Either that or you've got one of them subscriptions/accounts that removes the ads :p

Zuk... you sure you don't have any ad blockers? I just went to Ars Technica and they have 2 ads right on the home page... I used to frequent Slashdot and they had plenty of ads as well.

Either that or you've got one of them subscriptions/accounts that removes the ads :p

Could be... we go through a web proxy so they could be blocking them. I normally see a message where the ad was blocked, but I didn't in this case.

get it on thinkgeek.com and you will sell them

sry not advertising but if they sell it, the market for the pandora will grow

Back