Why Pandora?

Tincho

Still Fresh
I just want to know, Why get a pandora instead of the acer new mininotebook? The acer is far more powerful, it has an x86 processor and can do al the things pandora does plus more, so why get a pandora?

Tincho said:
I just want to know, Why get a pandora instead of the acer new mininotebook? The acer is far more powerful, it has an x86 processor and can do al the things pandora does plus more, so why get a pandora?
Because for one, unlike a netbook, it can fit in your pocket, has dedicated gaming controls, and is open source.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, but is there a possiblity to use x86 apps in the arm?? apart from the x86 pandora is able to run any linux app??

If you want a netbook, get a netbook. If you want a portable gaming console that can also serve as a UMPC then you may want to get a Pandora.

Nicely answered! so, i'll buy a pandora!

when will the second batch be available???

anyone knows if it will be able to emulate ps2? if it will be able to do that i'll start saving now! :p

Tincho said:
anyone knows if it will be able to emulate ps2? if it will be able to do that i'll start saving now! :p
That's a definite no. PS1 and everything before it, possible N64 (But don't get your hopes up.)

Why not? look at this:
Pandora:
CPU 600 MHz OMAP3530 ARM Cortex-A8 (32 Bit) and
430 MHz TMS320C64x+ DSP Core, NEON & TRADE SIMD coprocessor[1]
Graphics PowerVR SGX 530 at 110 MHz
ps2:
CPU 64-bit[3][4] "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (launch), 299 MHz (newer models)
Graphics "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147.456 MHz

ps2 isn't That MUCH more powerful. Maybe at least some games like FFX or so.
What about psp and ds emulation? possible??

what's so great about x86?

Tincho said:
Why not? look at this:
Pandora:
CPU 600 MHz OMAP3530 ARM Cortex-A8 (32 Bit) and
430 MHz TMS320C64x+ DSP Core, NEON & TRADE SIMD coprocessor[1]
Graphics PowerVR SGX 530 at 110 MHz
ps2:
CPU 64-bit[3][4] "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (launch), 299 MHz (newer models)
Graphics "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147.456 MHz

usually, the system must be many times more powerful than the system being emulated... psp is questionable, but ds should be okay (although the pandora only has one touchscreen)

People around here don't care much for x86 apps...there's plenty of open-source Linux apps that can provide the same results, and they'll be frickin' fast on this device once ported/recompiled properly.

For my money, Pandora will hopefully be the ultimate emulator (C64/Amiga/Genesis), video player (play any codec you can throw at it), web/email, and countless other things I haven't thought of or haven't been developed yet. :)

Tincho said:
Why not? look at this:

The PS1 had a 33Mhz CPU (IIRC). Emulation is a tricky business... you're taking one machine and telling it to behave like another, so Mhz aren't that comprable. Requiring a CPU 10x or more powerful isn't that surprising. I'd guess only the more powerful desktops today could emulate PS2 well.

Add to this that most emulators are first optimized for x86 CPUs. It takes some time with hardware on hand before these emulators get written.

you have a point. Anyway what about the size in the new videos, The ones that show assembled pandora, it looks pretty big, I don't think it may enter in a pocket...

My dual core 4ghz desktop CPU can only run a handful of PS2 games at full speed, and that is with SERIOUS GPU acceleration.

But the Pandora will serve as a great PMP, that (with a properly optimized media player) will be able to play more than any other handheld device. (Why does Archos hate .mkv so much?)

If you really want to play games and got the Acer, you would also have to get a USB controller. Too many wires, you'd need a bag, no advantages over a full sized notebook.

The Pandora also doesn't waste power, so if you could get 8 hours of mp3 or 4 hours of video on the netbook the Pandora will be able to get at least a dozen hours of just mp3, perhaps 5-6 or more with video.

Size comparison: http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_compariso...wiz-vs-gb-micro <- a bit larger than an NDS

Tincho said:
you have a point. Anyway what about the size in the new videos, The ones that show assembled pandora, it looks pretty big, I don't think it may enter in a pocket...
I built a mockup (papercraft reinforced with cardboard) & it most certainly does =]

I don't have one handy, but It's basically smaller than the original 'fat' DS

EDIT: Ahh, here it is. That site is great! thanks for showin me that =]

Back