Why Pandora?

'CC_machine' said:
My friend Nic...

I thought I was geeky, but even I don't consider network cards as friends. I do consider printers to be my enemies. Kudos to you.

Seriously though, gaming is secondary for my Pandora. I'm planning on using it as a netbook, one that fits in my back pocket. Aside from the fact that the Pandora it'self (with a few choice accessories) is pretty much exactly what I want, the community is great and the focus on openness is (for me) essential.

I have pretty much zero interest in software that is tied to x86, I stopped using Windows a long time ago and don't miss it or it's extensive third party software library. As far as I'm concerned the sooner x86 is gone the better, the whirring drives me nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
open-source software can move to ARM pretty quickly if it goes mainstream, but unfortunately, I don't see a lot of companies producing high-performance ARM chips until there is a noticeable market for it.

It would be great to see an ARM netbook running Linux someday, though. It's sad that even organizations like OLPC give into Microsoft's crap, and all we do is lock ourselves into x86 / Microsoft / AMD/Intel further.

'mali' said:
'Exophase' said:
I will never understand how almost no one seems to see a difference between a handheld with gaming controls and a handheld with a USB controller. You can't hold a controller and a handheld at the same time.
I can, cause I'm a passionate modder ;)

So passionate modding either grows you a third hand, relieves you of all common sense or robs you of the ability to respond logically.

'Sphinxter' said:
So passionate modding either grows you a third hand, relieves you of all common sense or robs you of the ability to respond logically.
Pardon?
You could split a controller in half PSP/GP2X-style like the iPhone thingy Craig is going to sell or do a minimal MOD and attach a slide in frame to the controller to put the tablet.
Where is the problem?
I've no problem with metal, thermoplastics, electronics, whatsoever.

'lulzfish' said:
open-source software can move to ARM pretty quickly if it goes mainstream, but unfortunately, I don't see a lot of companies producing high-performance ARM chips until there is a noticeable market for it.

It would be great to see an ARM netbook running Linux someday, though. It's sad that even organizations like OLPC give into Microsoft's crap, and all we do is lock ourselves into x86 / Microsoft / AMD/Intel further.
Check this:
CODE
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/02/arm-preparing-cortex-vs-atom-comparison-and-more-for-mwc

mali said:
Someone on ITT tried the Pandora SDK and apps compiled with it run on his N800. Chances are very high, that Pandora apps will run on RX-51 without recompile and vice versa :)
Heh... I'd figured that they'd be very compatible. Mostly packing rules that we'll have to adjust when we munge things provided for the N900 for ourselves- and provide titles for that crowd as well. I'd had that in mind when I negotiated the deal for Caster and it's what's going to happen with the LGP titles if they come and Europa Universalis 2 (That's going to be...interesting... How do you guys feel about being able to buy and dl games off of GamersGate? ;) ).

Flash anyone? :D

Heh... That thought was fleetingly passing through my head the moment you indicated what I'd suspected. :D

'Trevor Bradley' said:
I'd guess only the more powerful desktops today could emulate PS2 well.
Even my 3.3GHz quad core can't emulate a PS2 in real time :| Its sticky business!

PhonicUK said:
'Trevor Bradley' said:
Even my 3.3GHz quad core can't emulate a PS2 in real time :| Its sticky business!

apples and oranges.
a normal pc is a small pipe, big bucket system where timing is not a big issue.
the ps2 on the other hand is all about just in time data, thats why it has fat bandwidth pipes and small to non-existent data buffer's between devices on the system. This makes it a very hard system to emulate because they not only have to emulate the architecture of the system and the cpu but the jit data delivery of the system buses.

'PhonicUK' said:
'Trevor Bradley' said:

I think you may be doing it wrong, as my SSE4 accelerated E8200 @ 3.4ghz can for many games. Do you have the newest gsdx plugin? Try the last three builds of the emulator (beta, stable, previous beta) to make sure you have the best for that game.

is it open season for x86 trolls yet?......Ma....go git my gun :(

how come we are suddenly getting spammed by x86 fanboys (ur pandra his duumed, x86 roxrs)

go away!

Back