Why So Much Hatred Here?

DisgruntleElf posted on May 20 2009 at 02:21 AM) I guess I'm in the minority here. I'm enjoying all this melodrama. It's very entertaining. How do you take something personally from another member when he/she will never likely see or know you in person? Has any member arranged a social face to face meeting with another aside for business purposes(OP team said:
? I highly doubt there are any stalkers here. I for one am to lazy and that big yellow ball in the sky kinda scares me.
I've met face to face with well over a dozen people I've met online, what are you getting at exactly? Wait, are you saying that makes me a stalker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 08:51 PM said:
I've met face to face with well over a dozen people I've met online, what are you getting at exactly? Wait, are you saying that makes me a stalker?
You know I'd have to say I never suspected you'd be the one to meet others face to face but anyone on this board? You strike me as a "tell it like it is" personality. I dunno if developers make good stalkers. They'd be tripping all over their laptops, psps, wizs, and cellphones.

I like the be excellent to each other idea. But we could add a little twist to it. Like, we could have a rule that says we can all be not excellent to those who are not being excellent and then ban them and add them to a wall of shame. It could be like a special page that has all the names of serial douchebags on it and their avatars and it plays Bill and Teds music from the future

*wanders off muttering "station! stay-shun".*

DisgruntleElf posted on May 20 2009 at 03:19 AM said:
You know I'd have to say I never suspected you'd be the one to meet others face to face but anyone on this board? You strike me as a "tell it like it is" personality. I dunno if developers make good stalkers. They'd be tripping all over their laptops, psps, wizs, and cellphones.
No, no one from this board. I don't really bring gadgets with me anywhere, I actually don't really like using them :B

When two people online willingly agree to meet wouldn't one of them have to be the one being stalked too? How do you know I'm not that instead?

Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 10:36 PM said:
When two people online willingly agree to meet wouldn't one of them have to be the one being stalked too? How do you know I'm not that instead?
I suppose I don't know but you are trying to label yourself as the victim often a sympton of a pshycological disorder. Are you the one volunteering to picking up the tab and purposing a second meeting? Are you purposely leaving your behind your mobile devices as to leave no evidence of your where abouts?

Holy crap dude! Did you just try and psychoanalyze Exophase, or are you kidding?
Here's a psuedo psychoanalysis of my own.

From your username and previous post it seems that you are a short, angry man who is currently studying psychology and as such your heavy workload means you are focusing entirely on your education. The pressure of study and concerntrating on only that for extended periods of time has made you form a habit of applying what you've learned to everyday life and your interactions with others, so you try to evaluate peoples personalities and mental states at any given opportunity.

Is that right? :lol:

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I'm only joking :)

I've met people from internets. Mostly at concerts and stuff. No one from here or anything like that, or pretty much any forum I go to. Too much chance of getting punched in the face

sold posted on May 20 2009 at 03:31 AM said:
I like the be excellent to each other idea. But we could add a little twist to it. Like, we could have a rule that says we can all be not excellent to those who are not being excellent and then ban them and add them to a wall of shame. It could be like a special page that has all the names of serial douchebags on it and their avatars and it plays Bill and Teds music from the future
*wanders off muttering "station! stay-shun".*

No, no, NO. That's an invitation for flamewars. The whole point of that particular rule, as I see it, is that there's no room for ambiguity - if someone's being an ass, that does not give you a license to be an ass in turn. Not that I mind people being outspoken - PoisonedV is a great example of someone outspoken and often quite blunt who is nevertheless generally a good community member who doesn't engage in stupid fanboy BS.

What I am looking at here is ending our tolerance of deliberate attempts to undermine the overall community, sow discord, and seed mistrust between the owners (or future owners) of different handhelds.

So no wall of shame then? No shame-atorium? :(

A mark of shame perhaps? Like the offenders avatar is replaced with a picture of a douche bag for a period of time as punishment for their transgressions. A scarlett letter type arrangement.

Something like this:
douche.jpg

And then we burn them. :p

I, for one, get really mad when people come in here and trash game park systems while they wait for the Pandora and have been vocal about it from time to time but I don't think anyone should be jumping on devs for doing what they do. Leaking the wiz stuff probably ended up improving the Wiz even if it did delay it. If a dev wants to write a piece of software and not release the source code, it's on them, but not if they used open source code in their software in the first place.
The biggest thing creating problems in the community are people that have not traditionally been part of the community. People who are only here as potential Pandora users. They have been welcomed into the community by almost everyone, so don't act like a dick once your here. I know that you haven't, I'm talking about a certain group of people.

At the end of the day, I hope the developers support all the open platforms. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think I will be buying a Pandora, but that doesn't mean that a successful Pandora won't have a positive effect in the opensource movement in general which should benefit everyone.

Chris

Edit: after reading through the thread, the pink elephant in the room seems to be obvious to at least a few people. The original gp32 and gp2x generally brought in an older crowd who wanted to play the older games on emulators and the older style games in homebrew. As the hardware is getting more powerful the newer systems can emulate more modern games and it inevitably attracts yongsters who want to buy a machine to play modern games they don't have to pay for and it shows.

christo930 posted on May 20 2009 at 10:23 AM said:
I, for one, get really mad when people come in here and trash game park systems while they wait for the Pandora and have been vocal about it from time to time but I don't think anyone should be jumping on devs for doing what they do. Leaking the wiz stuff probably ended up improving the Wiz even if it did delay it. If a dev wants to write a piece of software and not release the source code, it's on them, but not if they used open source code in their software in the first place.
The biggest thing creating problems in the community are people that have not traditionally been part of the community. People who are only here as potential Pandora users. They have been welcomed into the community by almost everyone, so don't act like a dick once your here. I know that you haven't, I'm talking about a certain group of people.

At the end of the day, I hope the developers support all the open platforms. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think I will be buying a Pandora, but that doesn't mean that a successful Pandora won't have a positive effect in the opensource movement in general which should benefit everyone.

Chris

Edit: after reading through the thread, the pink elephant in the room seems to be obvious to at least a few people. The original gp32 and gp2x generally brought in an older crowd who wanted to play the older games on emulators and the older style games in homebrew. As the hardware is getting more powerful the newer systems can emulate more modern games and it inevitably attracts yongsters who want to buy a machine to play modern games they don't have to pay for and it shows.
Why? (by gamepark I assume you mean gamepark holdings) I have a gp2x and I've been critical of it since the glow of having it after the first month or so wore off. it wasn't that good, it was that it had a much better scene around it than the PSP had and thats all it made. why does it make you so mad to see people saying shit like this? also, iv'e rarely seen younger uses... actually, other than a few stupid people (cough ninjamonkey cough (who has improved, iirc)) who were keeping their stupidity to their own forum pretty much, most of them act pretty mature, especially in regards to diehard forum assholes who hate to see anyone knew join their little club. also you say that they don't want to have to pay for it, were you paying for all the roms you played on your gp2x? etc. i didnt see you complaining about those stupid youngins who wanted to play snes games and NOT PAY FOR THEM back on the gp2x. 4 years after the snes the ps1 was released, and 4 years after the gp2x the pandora (will hopefully) be released. so i don't see this whole 'console age' thing since ps1 isnt any more modern now than snes was 4 years ago. but even if there were younger members, what does it matter? almost all of them keep to their own forums, and occasionally a troll gets loose- and that goes for both wiz and pandora fan/boys

The weird thing I experienced here is really the fanboism.
Some even claim I'm biased and should leave the WIZ alone as I'm part of the Pandora team.

Which is REALLY weird in my opinion. NO device is supported more or less by me.
I shipped out WIZs to some devs (GPH decided I should do that).

I created archives for the GP32, the GP2X, the WIZ, the Dingoo and the Pandora. They ALL have the same archive system on the same server and they're all free.
How can that be biased? My support and the stuff I do is the same for all handhelds, yet some guys still tell me to leave the WIZ alone and still use the archive... weird.

I know some started to dislike craig or me because all we want to to is make money with the Pandora. Sure, we have companies and sure, we want to make a living somehow.
Why doesn't one of those guys bash GPH - because they're also a company producing the WIZ...

In fact, without my German shop I couldn't have afforded the gp2x Archive... though I definately didn't earn enough with my shop to make a living (I still don't, to be honest), I do this business in my free time as I love the scene...

I think there are only SOME fanboys here that post hatred things about anybody... it's just that these are the things you usually keep in mind as those do annoy you...

I'm not sure what happened with Franxis, he did make a very angry post in one of his MAME4ALL Wiz threads... I've never seen him like that.
I do hope he just had a bad day. Yep, we all do know WIZ posts should appear on the frontpage, but hando has just revived the boards and is currently working on a major redesign of the frontpage... he does this in his spare time, so being angry about him not including the WIZ would be the same as other guys being angry at Franxis for not releasing MAME4ALL for the Pandora.... It's their time, they do this for free, they do what they want to in the order they want to do it... and it all takes time to do it...

I just hope everything settles down once all handhelds are released and people do concentrate more about coding, having fun, testing and other stuff instead of bashing.

PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 05:23 PM) [quote="christo930 posted on May 20 2009 at 10:23 AM said:

Chris

Why? (by gamepark I assume you mean gamepark holdings) I have a gp2x and I've been critical of it since the glow of having it after the first month or so wore off. it wasn't that good, it was that it had a much better scene around it than the PSP had and thats all it made. why does it make you so mad to see people saying shit like this? also, iv'e rarely seen younger uses... actually, other than a few stupid people (cough ninjamonkey cough (who has improved, iirc)) who were keeping their stupidity to their own forum pretty much, most of them act pretty mature, especially in regards to diehard forum assholes who hate to see anyone knew join their little club. also you say that they don't want to have to pay for it, were you paying for all the roms you played on your gp2x? etc. i didnt see you complaining about those stupid youngins who wanted to play snes games and NOT PAY FOR THEM back on the gp2x. 4 years after the snes the ps1 was released, and 4 years after the gp2x the pandora (will hopefully"] be released. so i don't see this whole 'console age' thing since ps1 isnt any more modern now than snes was 4 years ago. but even if there were younger members, what does it matter? almost all of them keep to their own forums, and occasionally a troll gets loose- and that goes for both wiz and pandora fan/boys[/quote]It's one thing to be critical, its quite another thing to bash. I criticize the gp2x as well, I don't believe in blind fanaticism. And yes, I own all the games I play in emulators (except arcade games, I'm guilty there). The whole reason I use the emulator is because I like the game, but don't want to deal with the hassle of wires and clutter plus having it on the go. My wife would absolutely FREAK if she came home and found video game systems attached to the tv and their associated wires and game carts... There are a small number of games on each system that I like and it really is impractical to keep them all hooked up or even store them in the general vicinity of the tv. So I use an emulator on my pc and on my gp32 and gp2x when I am out.
It's certainly nothing against younger gamers in general, it's just that there are a few obnoxious younger (and older) gamers. I wouldn't ever think of going to a psp website and explaining why I think their system sucks and I don't want them to come here and do the same. I don't mind if someone says they don't like a particular thing about the gp32 or 2x but don't come into the community and say that the gp32 and gp2x suck and are junk and obnoxious things like that.
People should try to act the same way in the forums as they do in real life. I wouldn't walk up to a group of people playing with a psp and say "What are you using that piece of shit for" and so I wouldn't say it here. Now if I was with a group of friends playing with a gp32 and someone said "what are using that piece of shit for?", you can rest assured, I'd say something back to them. Nobody keeps to this 100% of the time and I get that. People get in bad moods, maybe had a drink or 2 or whatever... It's when it becomes a patern and then I get pissed off and say something. Fan boys on either side of the argument are just as annoying, were not here for mental masturbation any more than to be trashed.

I hope this clears up my position. In general I try to stay out of unproductive conversations, but I do say something occasionally.

Chris

There _is_ a lot of weird ape-shit thats been going on the last few years, but I think ED nailed it; people get off their wire sometimes. Same everywhere, always has been... doubly so for computers and consoles. Sega folks hate SES guys; Amiga versus Atari ST; Emacs and vi; Mac and PC.

The question is why, instead of 'we're all in this together'? Human nature I guess. What you have, it annoys you that someone might compete against; it digs into insecurity that perhaps you made the wrong you choice, so you better belittle the other guy so you know damned sure you didn't! (or something..) Theres also the fear of abandonment.. anyone remember when the 2x was coming.. as a GP32 owner you either planned for a 2x, or just enjoyed your GP32, or were inthe vocal minority mad as hell at anyone who would leave you behind...

I get it all the time too, and I've built apps for what.. dozens of different handheld platforms?

S'alright. Work on whatever you want :)

If Franxis is mad, thats a damned shame. Theres a guy who will go miles to squeeze .1 fps increase out of something :) I didn't know he was anti-Panda? Thats a big shame too :( Still, MAME for 2x and Wiz is pretty hot :)

There _is_ something nasty between Orkie and craig, and either one will tell you over a beer, but damnit, I sort of want to know. Its really a shame that they get under each others toes. Makes the rest of us step around carefully for fear of pissing someone off :)

jeff

(and before anyony more jumps on me, remember that pretty much everything I build can be built for like 14 platforms all at once. muahuahua.)

<hippy>We're all retro gamers! Unite!</hippy>

I hate GPH, not apologizing for it. Think I finally snapped around the net chip. Doesn't mean my stuff won't be on the wiz, just downloadiing the toolchain for it. The idea of an open source handheld hardware vendor that listens to the developers and good lord, even the users has a certain holy grail kind of appeal that is bound to attract at least a bit of a cult.

@ZodTTD - bizzarre. even the author of MAME4ALL has been getting involved in the bitchfests? It's got to be about entertainment. It's why peopl;e watch soap operas.

Personally, I'm pretty grateful to the people who bring me software - for free! - that lets me respend my mispent youth :D but you've got me wondering how how many devs are not supporting the Pandora or Wiz through politics :(

Best wishs n stuff, personally.

Post edited to be more concise. Be cool. B)

Now lets make fight ^_^

Back