Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I already preordered a wii!

• Im not getting any of them

• Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I saw aWii in a demo kiosk. I was totally unimpressed. The graphics are very last gen. The models are blocky and the textures a low res blurry mess. Basically looks like a gamecube with a gimmicky controller. The controller did work well, but with the graphics looking so bad it isn't worth it for me. I will just stick with the 360 until I am able to find a PS3 to buy.
For a guy that's seemingly a retro-gamer among other things, that was a pretty shallow post. :p

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw aWii in a demo kiosk. I was totally unimpressed. The graphics are very last gen. The models are blocky and the textures a low res blurry mess. Basically looks like a gamecube with a gimmicky controller. The controller did work well, but with the graphics looking so bad it isn't worth it for me.

I'm not having a go at you, but I don't quite understand this concept... you seem to love old, blocky retro games with truly horrible graphics (e.g. Lynx games), but a system with "slightly less impressive than the best ever" graphics is not worth your time?

If a game's fun, it's fun, the graphics shouldn't matter.

It is like this. If I am going to buy a new system with new 3D type games I want the graphics to be at least on par with what else is out.

The retro games are fine for me to play on a portable. Plus they are mostly for nostalgia sake, and they look cool on the small screen. Games I remember playing as a kid. I never played these Wii games as they are new. Since the games for the new systems are new I want the newest gfx too. I never play those old retro games on a TV though with Xbox or PC etc. Convoluted logic I know but it hard to explain.

I'm all for getting a Wii, but later when there are more games, it doesn't cost as much and there is not such a rush for them that will make buying one less convenient than going to the store and buying one (that means no preordering, no lines and no mad crowds to fight through, thanks.) Mostly would like to get one for the FPS'es since they'll be very fun to play with the controller. I'm hoping for some good multiplayer FPS'es with the controller since I'm sick of being the odd man out who doesn't want to play Halo 2 on a miserable analog-stick ridden controller (am I the only one who remembers when 'LAN party' meant a bunch of guys with computers and real FPS'es, not Halo-Halo-Halo?) Should be some more interesting games on it too. For now I'm pretty damn happy with my DS, though. Definitely won't be buying a PS3 or XB360. There's just not anything interesting to play and I hate the design of the machines themselves, really. I liked the NGC a lot, I just didn't want enough games to justify buying one (didn't get an XBox or a PS2 either.)

As for the graphics issue.. I don't care about the graphics. The PS3 and 360 are riding on better graphics, marginally improved over the last generation with the same shitty gameplay and a lot of sequels.. in short, nothing industry and the bad direction the industry's been taking since ~97. Eventually graphics will reach photorealistic quality and gameplay is all that can improve-- well, Nintendo figured that out early, Sony and Microsoft seem intent on driving forward til they hit that brick wall head-on. I find the more interesting games are coming out for the Wii, with more interesting gameplay elements-- and I have a DS because it's getting all the unique, fun 2D games, not shitty games we've already played dressed up again in 3D for the PSP. One thing you won't find in a Nintendo ad is a lot of yelling about graphics. Yet in PS3 ads .. 'I heard the graphics on it was crazy'.. :p

I DO support the high-end 2D graphics used on the DS; I find primitive 3D also be sometimes attractive. But if I had it my way modern consoles would use all their might to produce high-end 2D, more intense games with tried and true or unique and inventive gameplay- not a bunch of pretty realistic scenes of 3D that aren't convincing, yet there is no real gameplay to back it up. Besides, if I want high end graphics, my PC's going to do a better job than a PS3 or XB360 will, anyway. So the reason I'd even GET a Wii is for a better overall experience in playing (probably) mostly FPS'es. Its graphics matter about as much to me as what color the console is-- hell, I still play Classic Unreal Tournament (1999) over UT2004...

I DO support the high-end 2D graphics used on the DS; I find primitive 3D also be sometimes attractive. But if I had it my way modern consoles would use all their might to produce high-end 2D, more intense games with tried and true or unique and inventive gameplay- not a bunch of pretty realistic scenes of 3D that aren't convincing, yet there is no real gameplay to back it up. Besides, if I want high end graphics, my PC's going to do a better job than a PS3 or XB360 will, anyway. So the reason I'd even GET a Wii is for a better overall experience in playing (probably) mostly FPS'es. Its graphics matter about as much to me as what color the console is-- hell, I still play Classic Unreal Tournament (1999) over UT2004...

Total agreement there, high end 2D is wonderful.

My all-time favorite in that department is still Chrono Trigger, beautiful 2D graphics with some neat 3D-hack effects in battles occasionally, and generally awesome gameplay for an RPG. (by the way, whatever happened to those rumors of a Chrono Trigger release on GBA or DS? The PSX port was a disgrace but still sold well, why haven't they done a rerelease of CT?)

You know, it's REALLY pissing me off how people wont shut up about sequels. "sequels are bad", "no more, im sick of sequels". Please save it.

People seem to be upset that there's a number after a game. Why do you care if it is a quality, entertaining game? Anyone who isn't a stupid fanboy would admit that the Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer essentially sold thousands upon thousands of copies of the game. It looked phenomenal. Why would you care that MGS 20 has a two and a zero after it if it's just as good as all the others, if not better? Would you be happy if they instead changed the name to shut people up? How's the following sound?:

1. Metal Gear solid
2. Snake: Sons of Liberty
3. Tactacle Jungle: Snake Eater
4. The war from within: Guns of the Patriots

Yeah, the names aren't very good, but you get my drift. Would it hush everyone up if numbers were no longer used? I just don't understand how people constantly blab on about sequels, when the games *usually* deliver hours of improved graphics, gameplay, and everything in between. So what if numbers/the same characters are used. If the game is good, then it shouldn't bother a true gamer.

I don't have any problem with sequels dcgm, what gets to me is the shovelware that large prices on devkits tend to bring.

I know Mudi, I was actually just referring to what people say in general. In the other thread, epicenter puts metal gear solid ___ and Final Fantasy ___. What's the deal with people bitching about sequels? My argument is completely valid I think. You wouldnt believe the number of people I have spoken to who don't stop complaining about sequels. And I don't understand it! Resident Evil 4 was not just the best game yet in the series, but it is also widely considered to be one of the greatest games of all time! If all games are like that, why care about "sequels" :blink:

Some sequels are great. I don't mind sequels that have enough substance to them to be a true sequel. I hate sequels where the game formula is almost exactly the same but with an incremented number and one more dynamic light...

Some sequels are great. I don't mind sequels that have enough substance to them to be a true sequel. I hate sequels where the game formula is almost exactly the same but with an incremented number and one more dynamic light...
That's fair enough, but in all honesty, MGS4 looks amazing. In fact, EVERY MGS game has been excellent. The same can be said (for the most part) about the FF games. They all have delivered in terms of gameplay.

The other day for example, I go into a game store. I see the ps3 on display, with no one there. Like any gamer, I think "hey I want to try that out". So I start playing.

Next to me is some kid trying the wii, something I've already done like 10 times because it's on display at almost every game store around here. He randomly starts saying how the wii is better because of the controller and there aren't any sequels. I like turned red because im sick of hearing this argument.

These wiitards are everywhere. You have a right to think one system is better than the other, but please, at least have a valid argument so you don't sound like an ignorant wiitard.

Maybe I'n not in the right category for people to appeal to, but I see all these sneaking-around and RPG games as more and more of the same thing. With FF it's the same as any other RPG, characters filled with angst and dark mysterious pasts, with swords and epic music and all of a sudden it's some big amazing game when in reality, it's just like countless other RPGs out there-- yet it will sell millions of systems because, "It's Final Fantasy!" or half the time you are not playing the game, just watching FMV most of the time-- FFXII is even MORE in that vein because you program your party to fight automatically. You can basically have the game play itself and are encouraged to. If I saw more innovation in RPGs I wouldn't call them generic. It just seems like the graphics on sneak-around games and RPGs get better and that's enough reason to buy the newest installments everytime-- that is a problem in ANY genre. The only time I've ever agreed with buying a new version of something for better graphics (mostly) is an FPS like the Quake or UT series, but each time the gameplay was still drastically changed. Different weapons, maps, tactics, a whole new play environment-- it didn't really feel like the exact same thing over again.

Another prime example, Halo 2 looks just like Halo 1 to me but everyone goes so batshit insane over Halo 2, and now 3. I just don't see the allure, really. Halo was never innovative or unique. It's only popular because it came out at a time when the XBox had nothing worthwhile to play, is easy to pick up and play and appeals to the lowest common demoninator. If it had been released on the PC first, it would've been a drop of water in the ocean, and no one would've paid it any heed due to its lack of innovation or unique gameplay elements, its sub-par graphics and generic music, and its bland storyline/characters (hell, the main character has a mask on the whole game and you never even see his face.)

What exactly are you looking for in RPGs? They all have the same premise behind them ;). Same with tactacle espionage.

Genres are genres. If you expect innovation with every new game to be released, you're expecting too much from the video game industry.

I think all quake and UT games are the same. Obviously you just liek that sort of game and dont liek rpg and sneaky games :p

Oh and i have never liek halo.

Sequels can be good, but admittedly I found the camera angle on RE4 to be irritatingly close to the guys head and he controlled too similarly to lara croft in the bizzaro-shit phase of tomb raider.

Back