Will <Insert Name Here> Work On The Pandora?

^ http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47749-the-pandora-can-not-run-windows-or-wine

Last edited by a moderator:
vmware does seem to have an arm port coming out:
http://www.itpro.co.uk/609992/vmware-demos-mobile-virtualisation

EDIT- oops.

Well, anyway, just remember that this will not allow you to run any X86 version of windows.
Only ARM operating systems will run visualized. Please don't let anyone get their hopes up.

Hey, thanks fearofshorts, but I was actually trying to help out paddy who asked about vmware :)
Sorry, didn't mean to be misleading.. It wouldn't run WindowsME.. I just thought the vmware part might be interesting / useful aside from the running windows part.

Edit - Typo

Actuly ,Skype would be quite important on the Pandora ,i read that it will be opensource
but no proof ,i say skype as i have had a lot of problems trying to get any other chat app
to work with voice or video chat ,infact i have had no luck getting any other linux app
to do voice or video chat.

If skype isn't possible then could we get pidgin or amsn working with at least
voice chat ? i think it is highly important.

Well, Pidgin's already included, though I'm not 100% sure which version is being used. I would guess it's the most recent one in the Angstrom repository, though, which is 2.6.5-r1.0.5, which as far as I can see does have voice support (though for what I'm not sure - I don't use its voice chat features).

Prometheus said:
Well, Pidgin's already included, though I'm not 100% sure which version is being used. I would guess it's the most recent one in the Angstrom repository, though, which is 2.6.5-r1.0.5, which as far as I can see does have voice support (though for what I'm not sure - I don't use its voice chat features).
2.6.5 is in the unstable branch. 2.5.3 is the current stable release. I tried updating to 2.6.5 automatically and it was a monumental disaster. I'm pretty sure that it can be upgraded to 2.6.5, but it needs to be done manually, with the requirements carefully chosen and not just let opkg install whatever it thinks it needs willy nilly. Whether this has already happened for the Pandora or will need to be done after release, I don't know.

Ah, my bad. I don't check the Angstrom Repository browser particularly often, and couldn't (during my admittedly brief checking - I just ran a quick search here) see any way to determine what's stable and what isn't. Any tips on that, for future reference, please? :)

EDIT: Haha, never mind, I'm being a complete dummy. :lol: I see it now!

As far as i know there is no working voice chat on Pidgin ,however it is included
in the software ,just has never worked for me or anyone else from the ubuntu forums.
There might be earlyer versions that do work but im not aware of them.

I can confirm that skype does work extemly well in ubuntu for voice and cam
but i understand it might not be possible ,amsn has cam support
but again ,i couldnt get it working for anymore than 3 seconds and this
was the case for many ubuntu users.

I really think it's a must for at least voice chat on the Pandora
but i think the linux apps and the many hardware configs are to blame
and seeing as the Pandora has built in Mic ,it should be used to it's
full potential ,fingers crossed xx xx

Paddy

paddy said:
As far as i know there is no working voice chat on Pidgin ,however it is included
in the software ,just has never worked for me or anyone else from the ubuntu forums.
There might be earlyer versions that do work but im not aware of them.
Voice works perfectly in the XMPP (gtalk) plugin, same with web cam. It doesn't work in MSN, AIM, or YIM which are all closed specs which keep changing every so often.

edit: by which I mean a more recent version of Pidgin w/ XMPP works with voice and web cam. The 2.5.3 included in the stable Angstrom repository is a couple years old and doesn't have those.

intense_mc said:
How about a MAME port? Source (0.136): http://mamedev.org/

To summarize a long story:

1. Later versions of MAME, on average, run slower than older ones. So you probably won't get the latest version running in a way you'd like. And certainly, many of the games would be unplayably slow.
  2. Back in the day, there was a port of MAME v0.37 for the gp2x, called MAME4ALL. This is already working on the Pandora.
  3. The Pandora can run a later version of MAME than 0.37 (though earlier than the latest one), so expect something on that front eventually.

borgqueenx said:
What about vlc player and all its plugins?
Assuming there aren't any closed source plugins, should be fine.
But you'll already have mplayer anyway.

WizardStan said:
Voice works perfectly in the XMPP (gtalk) plugin, same with web cam. It doesn't work in MSN, AIM, or YIM which are all closed specs which keep changing every so often.

edit: by which I mean a more recent version of Pidgin w/ XMPP works with voice and web cam. The 2.5.3 included in the stable Angstrom repository is a couple years old and doesn't have those.
So I upgraded Pidgin on my beagleboard to 2.6.5, which should have voice support over XMPP, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work. Even on my desktop which is 2.6.6 I can't remember how I did it. The options for audio and video calls are greyed out. I was fairly certain that I'd used voice chat over Pidgin before, but now I'm wondering if I imagined the whole thing.

> Will voice commands work?

Depends on software. If someone writes/ports something with voice recognition, yes.

> Will the 3,5mm jack reconise the earphones i have also has a mic?

Yep, it's a TRRS jack designed for just that.

> Will some kind of msn messenger work WITH working webcam support?

There's bound to be something out there that will do it.

[edit] Wait, are you asking specifically about Pidgin, or just general questions?

Gruso said:
> Will voice commands work?

Depends on software. If someone writes/ports something with voice recognition, yes.

> Will the 3,5mm jack reconise the earphones i have also has a mic?

Yep, it's a TRRS jack designed for just that.

> Will some kind of msn messenger work WITH working webcam support?

There's bound to be something out there that will do it.

[edit] Wait, are you asking specifically about Pidgin, or just general questions?
Thanks gruso. Any good experience with voice control software? Because more then half of those apps dont work very well...
And does pidgeon support webcam conversation inside msn then?:) i didnt know.

I don't know much about voice control software. Are you looking to control the OS in general, or more specific stuff? I just came across these links, it's not exactly a solution for you but an interesting read:

http://freespeech.sourceforge.net/
http://www.openmind.org/

On the subject of video chat, according to Wikipedia the framework is implemented in Pidgin but there is still some work to be done:

As of version 2.6 (released on August 18, 2009) Pidgin has a voice/video framework which uses Farsight2 and is based on Mike Ruprecht's Google Summer of Code project from 2008.[7] That release provides the ability to have voice/video conversations using the XMPP protocol (including Google Talk), though the implementation is not yet fully complete. The framework will also allow for voice/video conversations on other protocols, such as MSN and Yahoo, in the future.[8]

http://en.wikipedia...._%28software%29

Back