Will <Insert Name Here> Work On The Pandora?

Pleng said:
Wasn't there also a CD32 version of Myst? Should run fine under the Amiga emulator as long as it gets CD support.
I don't own the CD32 version, or the Mac version. I own the Windows3.1 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opera would be nice for me, even if it's a mobile version.
Also, running J2ME apps? Opera Mini would be great when on limited connections such as tethering. I use it a lot on my phone when outside and on the move, but my phone's screen is getting a bit small for some sites. Also the new 5(beta) has a better interface for touch devices.

Tom` said:
WizardStan said:
I'm hoping to get Win3.1 running with the intent to play Myst and KQ6.

Myst should run fine in Dosbox if Win3.1 does, since it only requires a 33 MHz 386 CPU and 8MB of memory for the PC version.

The Mac version might be even better, assuming someone ports Basilisk II (there are already ARM ports, so it should be simple). It only requires a 20 MHz 68020 CPU and 4MB of memory, as well as Mac OS 7, which is freely available from Apple.

In fact, there are a lot of great old Mac games, like Spectre, Spin Doctor, Super Maze Wars, and uncountable others that I look forward to playing as well.

Does this mean that every time you want to play the game, you have to run dosbox and install windows 3.1?

Regarding Opera, I just dug up this old quote from back in January;

craigix said:
Oh PS did look in to licencing opera about a year ago but it required 50,000 units. :(

sortableturnip said:
Does this mean that every time you want to play the game, you have to run dosbox and install windows 3.1?
No, you only have to install it once. Then you start dosbox, and run "win" from the command line. Or you can even set up a custom config file so it automatically starts win when you start dosbox.

To prometheus(can't quote from phone so easy)
Yeah i remember craig mentioning that, hope lulzfish is right though.

WizardStan said:
Pleng said:
Wasn't there also a CD32 version of Myst? Should run fine under the Amiga emulator as long as it gets CD support.
I don't own the CD32 version, or the Mac version. I own the Windows3.1 version.

Thank you :D I had given up all hope of (my noticing) anyone else expressing this, ever :(

WizardStan said:
sortableturnip said:
No, you only have to install it once. Then you start dosbox, and run "win" from the command line. Or you can even set up a custom config file so it automatically starts win when you start dosbox.

Ah, so it saves the windows install so when you restart it, it's available. Excellent!

I don't have much experience with dosbox...only used it to play Arena: The Elder Scrolls when Bethesda offered it for free.

sortableturnip said:
Ah, so it saves the windows install so when you restart it, it's available. Excellent!

I don't have much experience with dosbox...only used it to play Arena: The Elder Scrolls when Bethesda offered it for free.
Dosbox will mount a literal directory to a virtual drive. So if, in Windows, you create directory "C:\dosbox", you can then mount that within dosbox like "mount c c:\dosbox". (this mount can be made automatic, you don't need to type it every time)
If you then install anything (within dosbox) to the C:, it will be saved to the literal directory C:\dosbox, which you can access from within Windows.
The install is then saved to your hard drive, and you can just remount that directory next time. It's the same with any games that need to be installed.
In Windows, you could then even open up the C:\dosbox directory, and manipulate config files and stuff before running dosbox next time.

Somewhat of a bump, but I need to ask.

Will The Last Express work on the Pandora?

PC game from 1997, for both Windows 95 and DOS

It looks like it is fully compatible with DOSbox version 0.73, but I'm not too familiar of what port the Pandora uses (and if the ARM architecture makes any difference)
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3488&letter=T

These are the system requirements I believe:

IBM or 100% compatible Pentium, 60 MHz or better on Win95
486DX/2, 66 MHz or better on DOS
Windows 95 and DirectX 5 or higher or DOS 6.0 or higher
SVGA card with 1 MB memory or more
8 MB RAM (16 MB recommended)
4X CD-ROM drive
Sound Blaster 16 or 100% compatible 16-bit sound card

My hopes aren't too high. It seems like most games from 1997 are out of the question on the Pandora, but I'm not sure how technically demanding the game is. If it works, I'll be extremely happy. Such a fantastic and inventive game. Should be played by everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddWb4LX69sE

Unlikely but not totally out of the question, Id say. DOSbox currently averages 386 25Mhz speed. It varies from game to game though, so you might find yourself in luck; though a 486 DX2/66 is stretching it some

will Ape Escape, 4 psx work for panda? if so i believe it would be the only emulating and mobile machine able to do it.

I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work, but you will most likely need to map a couple of keys to stand in for the stick-clicks that the game originally used for some items, since the Pandora's nubs themselves don't click.

Prometheus said:
I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work, but you will most likely need to map a couple of keys to stand in for the stick-clicks that the game originally used for some items, since the Pandora's nubs themselves don't click.

Huh, I'd never thought of that being a problem in Playstation games. I guess I've just been thinking that all joysticks clicked since I'm so used to that. Not a major problem though.

(naw)mcx said:
Hey will HL 2 run on the Pandora, that was the main reason I bought the Pandora!

My friend said it would run, so it'd be kinda annoying if it never worked :(
Seriously?

(naw)mcx said:
Hey will HL 2 run on the Pandora, that was the main reason I bought the Pandora!

It will most likely never be able to run, The Source Engine has no Linux port. Wine which most Linux users use to get Half-life 2 running will not run on the Pandora because Wine Requires a X86 processor, the Pandora uses ARM. Even if they get something going, the Video processor can only handle Quake 3 level graphics.

Boil it down, No.

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness , my all time favorite RTS.. Looks fairly good on DOSBOX performance.. Been Itching to play this with a touch screen and stylus.

Code:
MS-DOS / Windows 3.1 / Windows 95:

- 33 MHz 486 or faster
- 8 MB of RAM
- Super VGA graphics card
- Hard drive
- CD-ROM drive (To view the animations from the cd, your CD-ROM drive must be double-speed or faster)

(naw)mcx said:

LOL :)

Back