Will <Insert Name Here> Work On The Pandora?

lulzfish said:
Tokiopop said:
I think I've read about this being open source somewhere, but when I searched I couldn't find it. Maybe I imagined it but, could System Shock be possibly ported?

Thanks.
I think you imagined it, the Wikipedia page says nothing of an open source version.
Maybe you were thinking of something else.
Probably. Oh well :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Tokiopop said:
I think I've read about this being open source somewhere, but when I searched I couldn't find it. Maybe I imagined it but, could System Shock be possibly ported?

Thanks.

The OpenDarkEngine project might bring a glimmer of hope for System Shock 2 and the Thief games.

Loonie said:
Tokiopop said:

Thanks.

The OpenDarkEngine project might bring a glimmer of hope for System Shock 2 and the Thief games.
That rings a bell! See, I'm not crazy. See!?

Loonie said:

Holy cow, that's awesome! Loved the Thief games... I never could get very far into System Shock 2, though -- it always creeped me out too much. ;) Maybe it would be bearable on a smaller screen...

zombiesatemygoldfish said:
Would love to see Master of Magic or the old Dune RTS ported.

I believe Dune was runnable on Dos Box or at least that's what I remember. But there are a couple of open source dune clones so I'm sure it's do-able.

wermy said:
Loonie said:

Holy cow, that's awesome! Loved the Thief games... I never could get very far into System Shock 2, though -- it always creeped me out too much. ;) Maybe it would be bearable on a smaller screen...

thief was, and still is the best sneak/infiltration games (well thief1 &2) and theres enough fan mission to play litteraly for years...

by the way if you loved thief you should check www.thedarkmod.com it's a newly released doom3 mod... there's not much fan mission yet, but it's almost on par with the old thiefs, and it's much better than thief3 (well thief 3 should have been like that...)

how about something like medal of honor allied assault as its open source and available for linux?

DaMummy said:
how about something like medal of honor allied assault as its open source and available for linux?
Huh?
It's published by EA, where on Earth did you get the idea that it's open-source?
.. Oh, well, it does use the Quake III engine, apparently, but it probably has some closed extensions.. If it doesn't, then there's a chance that someone could hack it into working, though this would be incredibly illegal since the levels and weapons and plot and such are not free.

I'll give it a "Probably not".

DaMummy said:
Like luzfish said the engine is open source, but I believe since Quake 2 you can't just take .wad files from commercial games and put them into the un-modded game folder and have them work. Does this make sense? It's kinda a anti-piracy thing so you just don't go out and buy Quake III and then install all the commercial mods into it without buying them.

lulzfish said:
DaMummy said:
Huh?
It's published by EA, where on Earth did you get the idea that it's open-source?
.. Oh, well, it does use the Quake III engine, apparently, but it probably has some closed extensions.. If it doesn't, then there's a chance that someone could hack it into working, though this would be incredibly illegal since the levels and weapons and plot and such are not free.

The official one is not open, but there's an open source engine in the works that'll run MoHAA assets. Might be that one DaMummy's referring to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMoHAA
http://openmohaa.sourceforge.net/

zombiesatemygoldfish said:
got a new one!

Dwarf fortress!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48779-dwarf-fortress-on-the-pandora/page__hl__dwarf%20fortress
Hopeful, albeit at slower than on your PC. We shall wait and see.

How about Pseudoform? It depends on OGRE which is being ported to OpenGLES I think maybe. There was some discussion on their forums about bringing the game to the Pandora, but it was long ago.

-Tj- said:
lulzfish said:
DaMummy said:
Huh?

The official one is not open, but there's an open source engine in the works that'll run MoHAA assets. Might be that one DaMummy's referring to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMoHAA
http://openmohaa.sourceforge.net/
yes something like that, but even the official one is available for linux, cant that be ported somehow to work? even after all that, could OP run is hardware wise? and yea its probably illegal, but it wouldnt be the first thing on OP thats illegal counting all the emulation its perfected for...

ZXC3CD said:
rabidpoobear said:
almost full speed on iPhone or on 3GS?
If it's almost full speed on iPhone it should be easy to get it full speed on Pandora. If it's not full speed on 3GS then it's hit/miss.
Here is the speed, this is one the Ipod touch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHc_rVwOQ-M
Is touch easier to do?
The first two generation Touches runs an ARM11 underclocked to about 400-533MHz or so, the Pandora's ARM is a newer Cortex A8 that runs 600MHz stock, about the same as the latest Touch. The graphics unit in the Pandora is also a bit stronger than in the first two Touch generations.

DaMummy said:
and yea its probably illegal, but it wouldnt be the first thing on OP thats illegal counting all the emulation its perfected for...
I don't claim to be an expert on these kinds of things -- but I don't really see how this could be illegal... All they did was make the MoHAA game assets work in the quake3io engine. Considering how well Quake III works on the Pandora, I'd imagine this could potentially run very well. Just need someone to port it.... :)

Back