Will the 1ghz units replace the standard model in the future?

I messed up calling it composite, although afaik that's what the TV out cables put out. Composite dumps all the video on one wire, this at least has two. Still a pain to convert to RGB though..

Do you think it would it be easier to convert to HDMI than VGA?

No, harder. Converting to VGA is at least analog to analog and can probably be done with analog components. I'd look into S-Video to VGA.

You definitely don't want to go Pandora->Composite->VGA if you can help it, that's just an unneeded cost and quality degradation.

Whats this 4GHz barrier? Is it an ARM thing?

There isn't really a 4GHz barrier per se, there are CPUs that clock higher, but what he's saying is that clock speed increases have slowed down a lot and the usual advancements in semiconductor manufacturing haven't done very much to change this.

Didn't Intel claim that by 2011 we would have 10Ghz+ X86?

Is it a heat issue to some extent? I see overclockers at 8Ghz using crazy cooling methods.

I don't really follow X86 very much anymore so I'm a bit out of the loop, I wonder when ARM will catch up?

Intel and AMD both anticipated really high clock speeds. Yes heat and power consumption are the issue, but also not everything can really be scaled that high and the uarchs that did had poor per-clock performance. These days it's a big mistake to make a CPU that's only good at high power consumption, MHz speed demons scale worse to lower power budgets like on laptops, which constitutes the majority of use..

ARM will have a very hard time catching up to Intel at the very highest end in performance (at least in per-thread performance), they have neither the design experience nor the manufacturing advantage.

My Gaming pc is clocked at 4.6, but I'm bottlenecked on the GPU. ARM seem to be catching up in cores and Hz, I for one am optemistic. Graphine maybe will help.

My Gaming pc is clocked at 4.6, but I'm bottlenecked on the GPU. ARM seem to be catching up in cores and Hz, I for one am optemistic. Graphine maybe will help.
Yes, but you're overclocking it, correct? I'm talking stock clock speeds, which the highest I've seen stock being sold lately is 3.9ghz, which hasn't really changed much over the years. All the other stuff like cache, cores, ect. has.

Also, a thing to remember with overclocking is you've gotta make sure your board's cooled off decently if you intend to go to ridiculous levels of overclock, cause the power flows through the board to the processor. Some people don't think about that & fry their boards.

More importantly, I'd love to see ARM get up there in capability if for no other reason than it helps out the Pandora development.

On a sidenote, does anyone know how the ARM stacks up to the PPC processor? Yes, I think somewhere actually does still make those

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but you're overclocking it, correct?

Yes I overclocked it, dint worry its well cooled. Z77 boards are really cheap now anyway.

I really want to know if the old Pandora pcb's, both American and German made ones can take the 3730 chip or is it just the new revised boards? Also are these new revised boards backwards compatible with the 600MHz chip? And about the new board too.

Assuming im right in thinking there are 3 types of board out there at the moment?

Original 256mb PCB - America < would 3730 work in this pcb?

Rebiirth 512mb PCB - Germany < would 3730 work in this pcb?

Revised Board for 1GHz chip? < Will / could this PCB work with the 600MHz chip? e.g is this the only board to be produced from now on?

You cannot simply change the chips, even if they are pincompatible. They have BGAs and are soldered with the ram on top of each other with really difficult temperature gradients in a special oven.

Not what anyone could do by hand or at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets say one could, hypothetically, would the chips work?

I don't think the 1GHz chips would work in any CC board because I recall MWeston making minor board changes before the first test run at GC. I think I recall that a few 1GHz chips were populated onto boards during the first GC test run.

At any rate, your question is pointless because it's impossible for an end user to remove an OMAP chip and put on a DM3730.

Many questions would be pointless if you take that view, Although it cant physically be done by end user, id still like to know about the compatibility. If it satisfies my curiosity isnt that a good enough reason? Or if i cant do it myself i shouldnt ask?

Many questions would be pointless if you take that view, Although it cant physically be done by end user, id still like to know about the compatibility. If it satisfies my curiosity isnt that a good enough reason? Or if i cant do it myself i shouldnt ask?

But the problem is that what your asking about upgrading the CPU yourself to the DM3730 has been asked and answered multiple times previously on the forums.

Are you asking about hardware or software compability? For hardware compatibility, it's almost a drop-in replacement, which is why MWeston only needed to make minor changes to the board design for the DM3730 transition. For software compatibility, there were some OS changes required, which necessitated an updated GPU driver and kernel version. However, most/all of the PND'd software is fine on the new chip.

Back