Will The Pandora Ever Arrive?

Pleng said:
rabidpoobear said:
Pleng said:
craigix said:
All the parts have been delivered, the cases are in mass production, the first 100 boards are awaiting cases.

:)

The final moulds have been created and approved?

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS YOU GUYS.
Seriously. Stop starting rumors. Until craigix says explicitly that the molds are done, mass-production of cases includes mold-making time.

No offense to you, matzesu, I'm just pointing out that this is what Gruso was talking about, with rumors and "official" information mysteriously materializing out of thin air.

No. This is not why we can't have 'nice things' as you put it. Craig stated that the cases are in mass production. If he meant otherwise he should have said so.
Craig (and I) consider case mass production to be mould production+case manufacture, whereas you all are thinking of it as just the case manufacture. As craig stated, the cases are pretty much instant once the molds are done, so it would be useless to call mass production just case manufacture, because then it would be "okay guys 30 days until case mass production!" and then 30 days later "okay case mass production has started" and then a day later "okay all cases are done."

I don't mind that you were trying to provoke a clearer response out of Craig, but I just don't want people going around misquoting matzesu's quote (where he says that the moulds are already done.) I was addressing how someone made a wrong conclusion from reading your post, not that your post itself was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
We had some numbers way back when, which were used to calculate life expectancy of normal use vs overclocking. Normal use was about 250'000 (sorry, missed a 0) or 28 years of non-stop use, while overclocked was about 5 years of non-stop use. That's where I pulled the numbers from.
Anywho, regardless of where I got the numbers from, you asked for an explanation. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it any less of a valid concern for those it affects.

Okay, that makes sense. You're right, I didn't make it clear that I was being rhetorical. I don't agree that the burned-in boards are worse and I wasn't expecting anyone to put effort into actually addressing my question (thanks anyway, though). If they don't to get a burned-in board, they can let me have their place in line. I'd be honored to be in first-100. :)

I apologize if my reply seemed like I was trying to provoke you, I respect your postings and sometimes I forget to switch over to "internet" mode where there are no tonal inflections or body language.

cd78 said:
Im starting to doubt it will..i considered ordering one for a split second aaages ago.So glad i didnt!

Dont mean to sound negative, i think it would be amazing if it did ever become a reality.

Is there a confirmed date yet? or is it all still up in the air?

The pandora will be released. Just ask duke.

duke_nukem_forever_dec07_art.jpg

WizardStan said:
Sugar_Kane said:
such as bug free psx/dosbox emu
What bugs? We've already seen both running perfectly.
I think he's referring to the sound problem shown in the video MWeston made (MWeston himself acknowledged the bug; the emulator shown in that video was not running perfectly). I'm not sure what the problem with DOSBox is, though.

rabidpoobear said:
WizardStan said:
rabidpoobear said:
I don't get why people are bitching about burned-in boards. If anyone in the first 100 is afraid of this, let me take your place. I'd rather have a board that was extensively tested by the people who make the OMAP! Why does anyone see this as a bad thing?
Because there IS a limit to the life of a processor. I think TI estimates it at about 25'000 hours of normal use, or something.
2 hours of hard core burn in testing might not seem like a lot, but it does still bring the Pandora that much closer to death. And this isn't normal use, this is high-throttle-hit-every-instruction-every-line-every-bit-with-as-many-hammers as you can find use.
I was pretty sure you just made up this 25,000 hours estimate (or thought you got it from a reliable source), because it's way too low, so I took the time to navigate the TI page (which is surprisingly hard) and came up with this:
omap 3530 reliability
The OMAP's expected mean time between failures is 92,480,000 hours. That's over 10,000 years at their estimated operating temperature of 55 celsius. That's 131 fahrenheit. I don't know about you, but my Pandora's probably going to be operating at about 75F (~24C) most of the time.

Honestly all this anti-burned-in boards is just needless scaremongering. They have already done environmental and physical stress tests on the OMAP hardware, they're just testing that all hardware parts aren't going to have a premature failure, that the board design is solid, and that they all are operating correctly (no intermittent connections, etc.) As I said before, if you're worried, give me your place in line.
Way to research, made me feel better.

Azure said:
WizardStan said:
Sugar_Kane said:
such as bug free psx/dosbox emu
What bugs? We've already seen both running perfectly.
I think he's referring to the sound problem shown in the video MWeston made (MWeston himself acknowledged the bug; the emulator shown in that video was not running perfectly). I'm not sure what the problem with DOSBox is, though.
Oh right. I remember now. DOSBox also has a sound bug: the sound was about a second delayed in some of the last videos. It wouldn't surprise me if both bugs were related to a kernel "feature" of sound buffering, or something.

Is there any way to find out where I am in line? I'm probably one of the last for the 1st batch since I preordered REALLY early this year. I was just wondering if theres any way I can find out where I am..

WizardStan said:
rabidpoobear said:
I was pretty sure you just made up this 25,000 hours estimate (or thought you got it from a reliable source), because it's way too low, so I took the time to navigate the TI page (which is surprisingly hard) and came up with this:
omap 3530 reliability
The OMAP's expected mean time between failures is 92,480,000 hours. That's over 10,000 years at their estimated operating temperature of 55 celsius. That's 131 fahrenheit. I don't know about you, but my Pandora's probably going to be operating at about 75F (~24C) most of the time.

Honestly all this anti-burned-in boards is just needless scaremongering. They have already done environmental and physical stress tests on the OMAP hardware, they're just testing that all hardware parts aren't going to have a premature failure, that the board design is solid, and that they all are operating correctly (no intermittent connections, etc.) As I said before, if you're worried, give me your place in line.
We had some numbers way back when, which were used to calculate life expectancy of normal use vs overclocking. Normal use was about 250'000 (sorry, missed a 0) or 28 years of non-stop use, while overclocked was about 5 years of non-stop use. That's where I pulled the numbers from.
Anywho, regardless of where I got the numbers from, you asked for an explanation. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it any less of a valid concern for those it affects.

Overclocking has no effect on processor lifetime, it's over-volting that shortens lifespan or kills processors (general knowledge plus quoting MWeston).

The pandora prozessor lifes 10.000 jeahrs? thats awesome this is enough time to play all my snes gba gbc gb megadrive(genesis) jaguar nes and homebrewgames to the end (when my pandora deis, i am 10.025 jeahrs old.. (hm global warming, aliens, metroids, nuklear wars, terorrism, bad musik, tokio hotel) the human civilisation ends bevor the pandora it does.... B)

craigix said:
Banks only seem to get a bit strange if a)you have too little money or b)you have a lot and they didn't loan you it.

We have easily enough to pay for shipping and any other little issues which might come up, but not so much that we would show up on any radar.

Good to hear :D

The bit about being able to afford shipping, not the (all too accurate) estimation of banking principles :)

Sure they do - their first principle is "once you have their money, never give it back". IIRC.

But I digress. Apparently :R

Apparently, Pandora has joined the elite club of "things that will survive the coming nuclear war" along with cockroaches and, IIRC, rats :)

Monk said:
Sure they do - their first principle is "once you have their money, never give it back". IIRC.

Apparently, Pandora has joined the elite club of "things that will survive the coming nuclear war" along with cockroaches and, IIRC, rats :)

Yes...Yes it will.

Atomicpandora.jpg

Poem58 said:
Yes...Yes it will.

[/quote]

Brilliant.

Now all we need is USB turrets to keep mutants from distracting us during Chrono Trigger boss fights.

Poem58 said:
Monk said:

Yes...Yes it will.

Atomicpandora.jpg
Why is that bug hiding behind the penis?

matzesu said:
What? the 30 days are finished? the moulds of the case are ready? thats awesome , we hafe also only 30 days to wait for our panodoras?
i can play super mario world in the middle of september? thats good news craig!! :lol:
THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS YOU GUYS.
Seriously. Stop starting rumors. Until craigix says explicitly that the molds are done, mass-production of cases includes mold-making time.

No offense to you, matzesu, I'm just pointing out that this is what Gruso was talking about, with rumors and "official" information mysteriously materializing out of thin air.
What?
(...) are finished?
(...) are ready?
(...) panodoras?
(...) september?

Notice the "?"?
He asked because his English makes it hard for him to understand everything being said here.

On topic: Yes, definately. There has never been a grain of doubt in me that it will arrive.
The time of it's arrival is a different matter though, which is already being discussed to death.
So, yeah.

no, i'm understand a lot of all, but i have sometimes problem whit the finding of the curent words
i have monty pyton and the holy grail, and life of brain understand in english, but when i like to read some english books, than i give lost of my english.. :rolleyes:

btt: whe dont have one yeahrs to wait, mebey 1,5 months, the mould creation startet a long time ago, and whe have the 22 august of 09, and when the pandora lifes 10.000 yeahrs, than whe hafe long enougt time to play whit it.. B)

Back