Win A Pandora

gp32rich said:
How about you see who's been waiting longest in the queue and send it to me...-erm them!
Since it's a queue, the person who's been waiting the longest will be the very next person who gets one, just as soon as OPT builds another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
mosschops said:
MonkeyChops said:
@PokeParadox, if you want to increase how much money is generated by this you could allow people to buy more than one entry but I'd set the limit at 5 so its not unfair to people who can't afford boat loads of tickets. If someone was still willing to trade thier first bactch slot (long shot), that would also increase how much was generated. there is also the question of how you will pick the winner. I'd know about anyone else but I don't trust random generators, mostly because they aren't random :p

that offer still stands.
Wow thanks mosschops, that's really awesome of you!

So it seems we are currently looking at Penjin/Pandora Coding Competition. Prize money for coder drummed up by raffling off the Pandora with minimal(or maximal if you're feeling generous) donations to the prize fund. These donations give you a chance to win the Pandora. This Pandora might be a first-batcher if OP ok the queue swap.
I'm still wondering if it would be better to just contribute prizes to an upcoming coding compo using this formula?

PokeParadox said:

So it seems we are currently looking at Penjin/Pandora Coding Competition. Prize money for coder drummed up by raffling off the Pandora with minimal(or maximal if you're feeling generous) donations to the prize fund. These donations give you a chance to win the Pandora. This Pandora might be a first-batcher if OP ok the queue swap.
I'm still wondering if it would be better to just contribute prizes to an upcoming coding compo using this formula?

you better get a shak on and make your mind up though, cos it'l be here like... real soon! :unsure:

mosschops said:
PokeParadox said:

you better get a shak on and make your mind up though, cos it'l be here like... real soon! :unsure:
No worries! Even if it arrives before the compo is ready I can keep it boxed etc... It is appreciated mate! :)

Gruso said:
Poke, I have some thoughts on the finer details but I must sleep on them. It's just after 1am here. Tomorrow! :)
No worries... Goodnight and sleep well... and don't let all that blood rush to your head, with you sleeping upsidedown and all.

PokeParadox said:
Gruso said:
Poke, I have some thoughts on the finer details but I must sleep on them. It's just after 1am here. Tomorrow! :)
No worries... Goodnight and sleep well... and don't let all that blood rush to your head, with you sleeping upsidedown and all.
Wait, Gruso is a robot bat with a pipe?
943668781_HYsTY-S.jpg

jasay said:
PokeParadox said:
Gruso said:
Wait, Gruso is a robot bat with a pipe?
943668781_HYsTY-S.jpg
LMAO... noooo he just lives on the bottom of our planet is all(from UK perspective...)

PokeParadox said:
LMAO... noooo he just lives on the bottom of our planet is all(from UK perspective...)

Yeah, I know. It was just too funny in my head not to post. Then again, most things in my head aren't nearly so funny once they leave.

I would not make a penjin-specific compo, unless oyu really just want to drive penjin use. Why restrict someone from using their own lib or other codebase, or limit them from porting another framework, etc. It only narrows the audience. Certainly make it an option and encourage it, though :)

(ie: is the goal to get more homebrew for the pandora, or for penjin?)

jeff

skeezix said:
I would not make a penjin-specific compo, unless oyu really just want to drive penjin use. Why restrict someone from using their own lib or other codebase, or limit them from porting another framework, etc. It only narrows the audience. Certainly make it an option and encourage it, though :)

(ie: is the goal to get more homebrew for the pandora, or for penjin?)

jeff
The goal is to get more software for the Pandora, so you are quite right Jeff using Penjin shouldn't be an entry requirement... I would like to encourage usage though.

skeezix said:
Why restrict someone from using their own lib or other codebase, or limit them from porting another framework, etc.
Because part of a competition is forcing certain restrictions. Soccer would be a lot easier if you could just pick up the ball and throw it, maybe add some tackles to get the person to drop it. But then you'd be playing rugby. :)
And so you don't offend wussy players afraid of getting hurt, you could then let them wear padding. But then you'd be playing American Football. :p :p :p

edit: Cheap digs against the NFL aside, you do need to have some restrictions, some way that people can conform that allows you to judge which is actually the better under this restriction. Doesn't necessarily have to be platform based, though that would be a good start.

I would love to win that Pandora... but all I can code is some basic "hello world" type of stuff... well, guess I'm out of the league then. ^^

Nupfi said:
I would love to win that Pandora... but all I can code is some basic "hello world" type of stuff... well, guess I'm out of the league then. ^^
The Pandora is being raffled off. PokeParadox will sell tickets. That way the Pandora can go to anyone regardless of coding skill!
The money raised (hopefully more than the value of a Pandora) will then go to the coding competition.

Nupfi said:

Great opportunity to learn how to program then!

OK, passing through quickly because I have to hit the road (will be down the coast for 4 days but I'll try to drop in. They have internet in the country now!).

So let's assume that this is going to be a two stage undertaking.

Stage 1: Donation drive (or raffle, more on that word in a sec) to raise funds for a coding comp. Random donor wins an order number.

Stage 2: Funds from Stage 1 used as prize pool for a coding comp.

Two important things about Stage 1:

- The word "raffle". I know that in Aus, it's illegal to hold a raffle without complying with certain conditions. You can't just buy a book of raffle tickets and sell them from your front yard to make dollars. I imagine there are similar laws elsewhere. So we probably need to avoid this word all together, and call it a donation drive (one that happens to have a lucky door prize).

- Following on from this, we have to consider what it will sound like outside the forums. It sounds great to us, because we know the lost Pandora story, and why this two stage concept has come about. But when we take it blog side, we'll be talking to a couple of thousand people who don't know any of this. And most of them will think "I've been waiting two years for my Pandora and now I'm being asked to donate money?!" So presentation will be everything. We'll need to tell the back story, I can help with that of course.

That's my stream of consciousness for now, might have some more thoughts while I'm on the road.

In my opinion a raffling off the Pandora would be a bad idea for 2 reasons:

Reason 1: If a random person who know nothing about the Pandora joined the raffle and won
whoever that person is would win a device that he/she knows nothing about and would probably
end up mistreating it or leaving it to collect dust since they wouldn't know how to use it properly.

Reason 2: If you decided to just "Give it away" in a raffle then how does that help the community in any way?
A coding competition would benefit the community in tons of ways because every project entered is an addition to the Pandora's library of apps
and people can work on their programming skills for the Pandora so that in the future there would be more talented developers for the Pandora.

These are just my 2 cents.

Kordman916 said:
In my opinion a raffling off the Pandora would be a bad idea for 2 reasons:

Reason 1: If a random person who know nothing about the Pandora joined the raffle and won
whoever that person is would win a device that he/she knows nothing about and would probably
end up mistreating it or leaving it to collect dust since they wouldn't know how to use it properly.
You are right here, we might want to keep it private or just consider that "bad luck" as I imagine only People interested in the Pandora follow this forum and the unofficial blog, so there hardly will be a person not knowing what a Pandora is.
And even if there is, he probably won't be willing to "donate" say 5 dollars for a possible price he knows nothing about.

Kordman916 said:
Reason 2: If you decided to just "Give it away" in a raffle then how does that help the community in any way?
A coding competition would benefit the community in tons of ways because every project entered is an addition to the Pandora's library of apps
and people can work on their programming skills for the Pandora so that in the future there would be more talented developers for the Pandora.

These are just my 2 cents.
You misunderstood the purpose of this "donation drive", so here is a quick overview again:
The whole process will take part in three steps:
Step 1: You donate a certain amount of money to a donation drive to win the Pandora (for example every 5 dollars donated will grant you one lottery ticket).
Step 2: A random person from the whole pot of participants (people who donated) is chosen and wins the Pandora.
Step 3: The WHOLE donation money (people used to buy "lottery tickets") will be a price money in a coding competition.

This has many advantages:
- it ensures people who don't have coding skills can win the Pandora
- it is possible for people already owning a Pandora to participate in the coding competition
- teams can participate in the competition (as you can split money more easily than a Pandora)
- you can give out more than just a first price, or award little bonus prices (for example for the best Penjin-based game) [to everyone who read my rant about bonus points: this is a tad different as giving out bonus prices does not affect the actual overall ranking at all, it is just a little extra to encourage certain things]

foxblock out

Back