Windows 8 on Pandora?

CManagement

Still Fresh
I haven't been able to check the forums on a few months since I've had a few lectures I've been attending. I remember there was talk of Windows 8 being compatible with the ARM processer on the pandora. I tried searching for Windows 8 on the forum but it didn't yield any results. Anyone know of the update on this? I deploy in a few months and want something I can write C# code on and also play on linux.

Even if windows is announced on ARM, it's highly likely that it will only be a buggy OS without drivers and without applications.

The main problems of having that vapor piece of crap running on OP will be the drivers and the locked bootloader.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been able to check the forums on a few months since I've had a few lectures I've been attending. I remember there was talk of Windows 8 being compatible with the ARM processer on the pandora. I tried searching for Windows 8 on the forum but it didn't yield any results. Anyone know of the update on this? I deploy in a few months and want something I can write C# code on and also play on linux.
Possible in theory but:

- Windows RT will only run on specified plattforms, and will not be available for normal people (it will only be sold to companies)

- Even if you got a illegal version of it, highly unlikely that you can adapt it to Pandoras specific hardware (GPu, WiFi, etc.)

Edit: have to make my post more carefull, forgot:

In theory it should be possible to install mono on the Pandora (maybe compiling it is necessary), but Mono applications will probably be very slow on the Pandora

That is a shame. While this thread is still up, anyone know of a good linux program for running a microsoft program like VS C#? :D

I must admit, the more I've read about Windows 8, the less I want it on anything.

Windows 8 isn't Windows RT. MS giving keys to run Linux on Windows 8 PCs will not mean that you can run Linux on Windows RT tablets. And even if it did, it doesn't mean you can run Windows RT on devices that weren't authorized for it.

It's about as likely as being able to run iOS on a non-Apple device.

That is a shame. While this thread is still up, anyone know of a good linux program for running a microsoft program like VS C#? :D
Why not use Mono ?

Most big distributions usually offer the binaries, so no in depth linux knowledge is needed to install it.

Monodevelop is also a fine tool for developing in C# on Linux - it tries to follow in VS footsteps. Sadly they also adapted MS style to rather introduce new features (and with it new bugs) instead of fixing already existing ones. But don't expect to much if you liked the VS Gui designer.

As stated earlier, mono is pretty slow on Pandora. The bandhee pnd, made by sebt3 uses it.

But someone might want to compile a newer version and see how that runs.

Also, you could try mono on slackware.

Back