Wip Builds On The Pandora?

SyruM

Still Fresh
Hello Everyone :)

I know all the core pandora devs are still busy with the OS and bug fixes, and a lot of the other devs are probably waiting for units to arrive, but when looking on the pandora wiki there are a lot of projects that are near completion or have working builds.

What are the chances of having some of them up on the pandora apps page? Even though they are not final releases or even in alpha/beta stage, if anything it will help catch out bugs sooner rather then later.

Just a suggestion ^^

Guess an alpha/wip category in the app store would help keep them away from PND's that are for general consumption.

Easy way to get it into user testing.
How easy to do, no idea.

A lot of those WIP builds are made by people that don't even have Pandoras, testing on other ARM devices or whatever.
They could probably package something up, but they can't test if it works, and most devs have higher quality standards than to release something that might be broken. :)

Aninhumer said:
A lot of those WIP builds are made by people that don't even have Pandoras, testing on other ARM devices or whatever.
They could probably package something up, but they can't test if it works, and most devs have higher quality standards than to release something that might be broken. :)
Not sure if your agreeing with the OP or not?
But since they don't have a Pandora, this could be a way for them to see how their work performs, as long as people understand it's very much an alpha build.
Call it a developers corner.

And it could be useful for app's that just aren't ready from prime-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of this case, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a part of the app store for experimental apps to facilitate testing by people who like the bleeding edge.
But since you can just download a tar file and doubleclick the executable it might not make much of a difference.

^You might as well keep those alpha apps out of the store and instead post a link in the appropriate thread on the boards. It keeps people, who don't take the time to get informed about what they are doing, from getting confused. The easiest way is sometimes the best way ;)

Na-Noo said:
Aninhumer said:
Not sure if your agreeing with the OP or not?
But since they don't have a Pandora, this could be a way for them to see how their work performs, as long as people understand it's very much an alpha build.
Sorry I should have been clearer, I was referring more to "flat out doesn't work" problems rather than identifying more specific bugs.
If they want to test for those in advance they're probably better just sending it to another dev rather than publishing a PND to have a dozen different people tell them it doesn't work.
Nonetheless, bug reports probably aren't that useful until the devs are capable of reproducing them.

EDIT: And yeah, I agree with mali, it's simple enough for a dev to host a file somewhere and stick a link in the Beta test forum, there's no real need to put those in the Appstore. It doesn't need to be easy to find.

mali said:
^You might as well keep those alpha apps out of the store and instead post a link in the appropriate thread on the boards. It keeps people, who don't take the time to get informed about what they are doing, from getting confused. The easiest way is sometimes the best way ;)

+1

i hate this
nothing gets to version 1 bullocks thats been floating around

alpha, you keep to your self
beta you get a few people testing it
actual release, is an actual release (its always gonna have problems)

whats wrong with 1,2,3,4
instead of 0.0001
0.00132bALPHA

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
experimental are experimental and should not be released on the 'store'
after all they dont make experimental drugs available for the masses

also most games now are WIP, with patches being regularly released, you dont see them plastering it all about the place

wow people here can be very stressed. He only put forward an idea :lol:
Store, file archive, I just think he wants somewhere to easily download them from one place.
Should be in the Beta testing forum, but they seem scattered or mid way through threads.

Na-Noo said:
wow people here can be very stressed. He only put forward an idea :lol:
Store, file archive, I just think he wants somewhere to easily download them from one place.
Should be in the Beta testing forum, but they seem scattered or mid way through threads.

I think ppl in this forum can sometimes get their pants in a twist over small things :blink: maybe reading too much into it?
I personally dont care if its put on the pandora app page or not... I have done software testing in the past for a profession and doubt I am the only one in this community, thought it would be a waste not to use that to help developers that may want it.

Keep an eye on the beta testing sub forum also, that's where they should be requesting feedback from testing.

SyruM said:
I think ppl in this forum can sometimes get their pants in a twist over small things :blink:
Just lower sensitivity and it looks pretty normal :D

MAYBE make a devel section (massive warnings on it) for (pre) alpha/beta software?
Or a separate website.

kingoddball said:
MAYBE make a devel section (massive warnings on it) for (pre) alpha/beta software?

Isn't that what the beta testing forum is for?

Back