Scummvm For The Gp2x - Test Builds

After some PM's I have decided to post a quick test release
Specific feedback requested.
  • PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN TO TEST A USB MOUSE.
  • IT'S BUGGY AND ANYTHING OTHER THEN THE 320*2xx LucasArts GAMES
    WILL MOST LIGHTLY CRASH YOUR GP2X.
  • DO NOT USE THIS TO TRY AND PLAY GAMES :eek:.
  • YOU WILL HAVE TO RESET YOUR GP2X AFTER RUNNING THIS AS THE NEXT APP YOU RUN WILL SEGFAULT.
  • CURSOR IS STUCK AS A MOUSE POINTER - THAT IS BY DESIGN FOR NOW.
As I don't have my USB lead to test this (left it at work) can somebody download this archive and tell me if the mouse works in any of the 320*2xx SCUMM engine games.

Whatever the outcome can people please report back, include game and results of tests. By all means mention other crashes, try other engines etc. but EXPECT this to crash, for example the Simon engine no longer blits to the screen, it runs just with no display and Goblins has a broken palette setup.

Now for the setup notes.

You will need a working USB host lead (i.e. EXT USB, eg BoB, homemade lead, one of ART103's kits etc.).
You will also need to turn on USB support and USD HID support (FW 2 has all that in the System control panel).
Extract ALL the files it to your GP2X SD :).
Then run ScummVM and try it.

Has anybody tried the above test build? :(

Got some new features ready to roll but would still like to know a little if USB mouse support broken anything big before I do more releases.

DJWillis posted on Aug 29 2006 at 10:25 AM said:
Has anybody tried the above test build? :(

Would love to test it, but I'm waiting for the boxed BoB to roll out, so I can't be of any help ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
30 August 2006 Test Release - For all people who want to try it ;)

If you would like to test this quick build please download this archive and tell me what works for you :).

NOTE: This test release contains new rendering code and has only
been tested with a few low res SCUMM engine games last night.

It's for test feedback only do not use it for real gameplay and do not load your vital saves etc. into it unless you have backups ;). It WILL crash and MAY WELL eat your Cat etc. etc.

Whatever the outcome of tests can people please report back on problems with the SCUMM engine, include the game and the results of any tests. I really do apprecate feedback.

By all means mention other crashes in other engines but EXPECT them to crash, for example the Simon engine no longer blits to the screen some of the time and Goblins has a broken palette setup.

Now for the setup notes:

Extract ALL the files it to your GP2X SD :). (Make sure that includes the PNG and modern.*).
Then run ScummVM from the Games menu and try it.

USB Mouse support:

You will need a working USB host lead (i.e. EXT USB, eg BoB, homemade lead, one of ART103's kits etc.).
You will also need to turn on USB support and USD HID support (FW 2 has all that in the System control panel) before running ScummVM.

Well I tested it and my bug reports are entirely from memory since I am not on my own PC/GP2X network ;)

Broken Sword:
runs fine, but crashed when I pressed L and R (menu combo?)
It also skips the intro sequence... at least with my Broken Sword files.

Monkey Island 2:
Runs fine, no problems.

Simon The Sorcerror:
This just crashed for me

Curse of Monkey Island:
Skips the intro, crashes when you choose the difficulty...

USB Mouse Support:
works spot on, just as it should :)

General comments:
Thank goodness you have managed to fix the sound lag problem! :)

PokeParadox,

Thanks for the feedback.

The Broken Sword games will support the newer type DXA videos (well expect support to be buggy right now), do not expect support for the MPG cut-scenes as they are being phased out of ScummVM in favor of the DXA vids for games as a Smacker replacement and the builds I made of libMPEG2 suck badly ;).

Not sure what is causing the COMI crash, I will try and find a copy in town over the weekend and have a play about. Not tested Simon, i'll load it up and have a test when I get 20 mins.

Good news on the USB mouse, not found my lead to test it recently.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 1 2006 at 10:24 PM said:
ah new video format... funky. Only problem is I'm now not in the house where my broken sword discs are to reconvert the videos :(

Hold fire anyway, working with some of the ScummVM guys to come up with a low-res/low-size DXA video format esp. for devices like the GP2X. That is why I mention DXA video support being a little rough.

10 September 2006 Test Release

This weeks build of whatever crap ScummVM port code was on my hard disk an hour ago is here ;).
As usual (for any builds in this thread) it's an unsupported (other then via this thread) unstable release and not good enough for wide scale release.

If you would like to test this quick build please download this archive and tell me what works for you :).

NEW STUFF:
  • Lots of minor fixes in this build.
  • 1st version of the new zoom mode (try it, L trigger + Y in a game or menu (not a cut scene))
  • Improvments to save code (provided you exit ScummVM cleanly)
  • Improvments to USB mouse code.
NOTES:

Zoom mode works by zooming a quarter of the screen centered on the pointer. It also zooms cut scenes (known bug, will be fixed) and it a little slow for my liking at the moment. - Great for hi res games mind you :D.

It's for test feedback only do not use it for real gameplay and do not load your vital saves etc. into it unless you have backups ;). It WILL crash and MAY WELL eat your Cat etc. etc.

Whatever the outcome of tests can people please report back on problems with the SCUMM engine, include the game and the results of any tests. I really do apprecate feedback.

By all means mention other crashes in other engines but EXPECT them to crash, for example the Simon engine no longer blits to the screen some of the time and Goblins has a broken palette setup.

Now for the setup notes:

Extract ALL the files it to your GP2X SD :). (Make sure that includes the PNG and modern.*).
Then run ScummVM from the Games menu and try it.

USB Mouse support:

You will also need to turn on USB support and USD HID support (FW 2 has all that in the System control panel) before running ScummVM.

Ok... I've given up on the USB network side of things(for now)... and I've freed up some space on my SD card.
I'll test that build now and edit this post with any results!

// Without Mouse
Monkey2:
No noticeable problems. The zoom feature works, but isn't really needed on this game :) It also tracks the cursor correctly and scrolls the view around.

DOTT:
Intro plays fine. The voices and music are playing ok too. (I use an mp3 compressed monster.sou).
The zoom works as with Monkey Island 2.

Maniac Mansion (DOTT version):
Zoom works, Game seems to play as normal.

Simon1:
I get this error when trying to run it:
Code:
ERROR: File::seek: File is not open!

// With Mouse

Genral comments:
I've noticed that if you are in zoom mode, and you bring up the SCUMMVM menu, it stays in zoom mode. I think it would be better if it zooms back out for the menu.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 14 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
Simon1:
I get this error when trying to run it:
Code:
ERROR: File::seek: File is not open!

That’s a current ScummVM SVN bug with the Windows versions of Simon 1 (as I have discovered).
It's being fixed but I think I have other bugs with the Simon engine that stop it currently working.

I'll do another build and find my Simon CD's to test it out.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 14 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
General comments:
I've noticed that if you are in zoom mode, and you bring up the SCUMMVM menu, it stays in zoom mode. I think it would be better if it zooms back out for the menu.

The main problem at the moment is where the zoom code is hooked in (it's somewhere that does not really get frontend status events (like running game, cut-scenes, menu etc.). I need to think about when to reset the zoom mode.

I was thinking of off for cut-scenes, off in the launcher and everywhere else respect the users choice for that session.

As for zoom in games that are already 320*2xx, well it's easier to just split the screen into 4 and do the math then faff about with checking the boundaries to see if it's bigger then the LCD every time so consider is a 'feature', oddly I have received some feedback praising the zoom mode on the 320*2xx as it ‘helps with seeing the detail’ :eek: ;). Its main role in like is for the bigger games but I see no reason to hamstring it if people use it for the smaller games.

I finally got my USB network going again!

so another few tests:

COMI - segfaults when you pick the difficulty still.

Broken Sword 1- (skips intro - I know why it does this now though :)) The zoom mode is really nice for this. It seemed to be working nicely :)

Gandalfjip posted on Oct 4 2006 at 08:30 AM said:
paradox, just a question, can u save in broken?

Just tried it with a build I made last night and it works (provided you exit ScummVM cleanly, just like any other saves).

I see no reason why the build here should not work but I only have the builds I am doing to clean the code for SVN here at the moment.

Hi,

I seem to remember you saying that you couldn't really test the Feeble engine due to a lack of original software - I have the original (or did last time I looked!), would love to play this on the GP2X - anything I can do to help here?

Tony

DialTone posted on Oct 4 2006 at 01:35 PM said:
Hi,

I seem to remember you saying that you couldn't really test the Feeble engine due to a lack of original software - I have the original (or did last time I looked!), would love to play this on the GP2X - anything I can do to help here?

Tony

Tell me somewhere I can buy it cheap from :D.

The problem is the game is so big (4CD's after all and all those DXA videos) that there is no way I can support it blind like I do with some of the SCUMM engine games.

With all the work that is going into the AGOS (Simon) engine to add better support for Feeble, Simon Puzzle Pack, Elvira etc. my whole approch to supporting the engine needs to be re-looked at anyway and I need to do some shopping when I get some spare cash.

Now that ScummVM for the GP2X is in the process of becoming an official port all future test releases will be announced on my ScummVM site @ http://www.distant-earth.com/scummvm/.

Feedback on the builds can be made on ScummVMs official GP2X forum @ http://forums.scummvm.org/viewforum.php?f=14.

Thanks for the support and feedback so far, I hope everybody will continue to follow the port and help it grow and improve.

hey DJW saw your post on the scummvm dev list! nice work. i'm still trying to get my dev environment setup with a working scummvm (its a pita on windows to get all the required libs to build and get it all working withouth crashing)..

i probably wont be helping hack on the gp2x side of scummvm, but any fixes I make to the AGI engine you can have by proxy ;) hehehe...

looking at the wiki you dont have the agi engine in the gp2x port?

Back