WIP Report: No known hardware issues, 30 days of uptime

It really depends on what you're planning on doing with these SD cards. I think any Class 10 cards will be fine, you can probably ignore any marketing material!

I have 2 Kingston 512GB cards which one is already in my Pandora and is working nicely. on there.
How does the price per GB look in your parts of the world? Here one can get three or four 256 GB cards for the price of one 512 GB card. I hate to buy a card that doesn't provide the greatest capacity per dollar, but 256 GB is just too small.

There doesn't seem to have been any improvement in years. Moore's Law seems to have been defeated by the greed of MBAs and marketing types.

How does the price per GB look in your parts of the world? Here one can get three or four 256 GB cards for the price of one 512 GB card. I hate to buy a card that doesn't provide the greatest capacity per dollar, but 256 GB is just too small.

There doesn't seem to have been any improvement in years. Moore's Law seems to have been defeated by the greed of MBAs and marketing types.

Every time I've last bought a big card, the sweet point seems to have moved on one.

I bought a 16GB card in 2008 for just under 30 quid. I bought a 64GB card in 2013 for just under 50 quid, and I bought a 128GB card at the end of 2016 for under 30 quid. Those sub-30 quid cards were only Ultra rated Sandisks though, while the 50 quid one was an Extreme.

Now I look at 95Mbps rated UHS-I Sandisc Pro cards, the 256GB one seems just over twice the price of the 128GB one to within a pound. There is a 512GB one too, but that costs simply silly money.

Also, I wonder what you're planing to do with your Pyra to need so much storage. The 64GB card went into my Pandora while I've more than half used it, I've never had to clean it up yet. I do store much bigger files on my server or one of my backup discs, I just never needed to carry that much about with me. And don't forget the Pyra has two full size slots and one μSD behind the battery, plus a full sized USB type-A port which you could fit another concealed card reader into for μSD cards. There's a thread somewhere around these parts predicting what obscene amounts of flash RAM you could attach to your Pyra simultaneously. Plus don't forget, at least two of those SD slots are hot swappable, so provided you can categorise your files appropriately you could have a videos card, a games card and a music card or something like that.

I ordered them 2 years ago, I think it was a mistake but they were AU$200 each shipped and the AU$ was better / in parity with the UK£

I keep breaking SD and uSD cards. I need a protective case that doesn't waste space like most do.

I keep breaking SD and uSD cards. I need a protective case that doesn't waste space like most do.
This one looks like mine:
I've got a card in their and it travellers in my wallet with the coins.

EDIT: Seems like no amazon links allowed here. There it's called "Kingston G2 USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-MRG2".

Unfortunately the price for 512GB SD-cards went up during the last year by about 60€ in Germany.
It's a shame that there seems to be near to no demand for 1TB cards and push the price down.

This threadt derails pretty fast to a SD Card Thread, thats pretty wyrd,
Wasnt the Topic "The Tester works, and one of our prototyps runs more then 30 days ?? "

Arend i wrong if i say that these Prototyphe takes in these 30 days less Elektrical Energie than a XBOX ONE X in Standbye on 1Day ??

Arend i wrong if i say that these Prototyphe takes in these 30 days less Elektrical Energie than a XBOX ONE X in Standbye on 1Day ??
I think, it was not about running for 30 days on battery, and I can't imagine, that it did.

I know that it wasnt on Batterie, not even on its final stage of software are 30 days running possible, (maybe whit a car battery), its runns stable for 30 days whitout reboot..

I don't get your point then. ?

I know that it wasnt on Batterie, not even on its final stage of software are 30 days running possible, (maybe whit a car battery), its runns stable for 30 days whitout reboot..
Yeah, I know. They're propably not using systemd,yet. :)

looking on static ice web site 512 Lexar and Kingston UHS-1 cards are $380 to $430 depending on where you buy and Sandisk extreme pro 512gb is $515 to $550 AUD so definitely not cheap over here.. ebay would be cheaper but will you get a genuine card??

micro SD cards are cheaper than full sized SD cards.. a Samsung 256GB EVO Plus U3 microSD card is $199 AUD

Yeah, I know. They're propably not using systemd,yet. :)
I've been running systemd systems for months, and the reason of my reboots are not systemd but kernels upgrades. Beside, check the OS images, it's using systemd from the early begining.
I've played with nspawn on my prototype;)

I've been running systemd systems for months, and the reason of my reboots are not systemd but kernels upgrades. Beside, check the OS images, it's using systemd from the early begining.
I've played with nspawn on my prototype;)
Don't mind me. I'm just a hater making jokes. Though, hater is too strong a term. Is disliker or detester a word in English?

Back